Author Topic: Avocado 24/7 Thread  (Read 211528 times)

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
Re: Mango and/or Avocado 24/7
« Reply #225 on: July 18, 2013, 01:27:20 PM »
In this update of the 'List,' to fill the 'SFL-WAV' (South Florida Winter Avocado Void), the 'Fuerte' avocado cultivar has been removed.

The reason for the removal of 'Fuerte,' is due to the description given to 'Fuerte' by ECHO Nursery in Florida:
"'Fuerte' (B type) is a Mexican & Guatemalan cross, commercially grown in many regions of the world. The fruit is small (12-14 oz.) with dark green bumpy skin.
This cultivar is better suited to drier climates - a wet summer can cause the fruit to rot. This variety is not recommended for Florida. Bears Nov-Dec."
NOTE: 'CTMIAMI' is currently in the process of more accurately observing the actual behavior of 'Fuerte' in S. Florida.

1   Sharwil (Ripening Period: Unknown; Only one Forum Member has indicated having this cultivar.)

2   Fujikawa (Ripening Period: Unknown; Forum Member 'Berto' is growing this avocado cultivar in Ft. Meyers, along with others)

3   Jan Boyce (Ripening Period: Unknown; Forum Members 'CTMIAMI' and 'LEOOEL' have it.)

4   "Yamagata" (Ripening Period: March-April, according to Top Tropicals Nursery in FL; No forum member is known to be growing this avocado cultivar in S. FL)

5   "Doni" (Ripening Period: May-June, per Pine Island Nursery in S. FL and ECHO Nursery in FL; June-August, per 'CTMIAMI'; 'CTMIAMI' and 'LEOOEL' have it)

6   "Monroe" (Ripening Period: November-January, per Pine Island Nursery (Forum Members have confirmed this); Nov-Dec, per ECHO Nursery; Forum Members have it)

P.S.   If we were to create an avocado cocktail tree made up of 'Monroe,' 'Lula,' 'Yamagata,' and 'Doni,' then, theoretically, quality avocados would be available to anyone in South Florida, USA, if they had this avocado cocktail tree; NOTE: This would only be true if the Ripening Periods for 'Yamagata' and 'Doni' held to be true.

Good progress has been made as far as the Ripening Period information on the 'List'. Only three of the six cultivars on the 'List' have a Ripening Period that is unknown.
Thank you again to 'Berto' and everyone else, that has contributed to having quality avocados 24/7 in S. Florida a reality, please keep it coming.

Wow Leo,you are really determent! Carlos is doing most of the grunt work for you guys. If I can be of any assistant to you let me know.

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #226 on: July 18, 2013, 05:19:25 PM »
May be storing Admire Pro over a long time may not work but I find it indispensable

I do too but perhaps you missed my points in my previous post I said:

"I buy and use the hell outta imdacloprid and used it several times as a spray and drench on my greenhouse stock as well as my vineyard.  I still have white flies and the down side is it must have killed mite predators because about 3 months after a couple of applications I had the mite attack, on everything.  Also, Admire Pro is a rip off.  Another down side to Admire is the limited shelf life.  The active ingredient will settle out over time and not go back into solution by shaking it.  Try this at 1/10 the cost for the same product labeled on about anything edible and a WP powder which is much more practical.  http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=Adonis+75+WSP+Imidacloprid+75%25&_sop=15   

1.6 oz/300 gallons or 1 --2 oz per acre! "

Just trying to save you money while getting the same results.  "Back in the old days" I bought Admire Pro, BUT, there is no reason to buy Admire Pro now that the patent has expired which has induced a huge price drop in imidacloprid.  Last time I bought it was an order for 7 sealed foil packs.  That's (4) 2.25oz packs of the 75% WP per foil pack, enough to make 1,700 gals. of spray material, for $36!!!!!  ;)

Mark,  Admire Pro has gone down in price. My last 140 oz were $172.00  a $1.21 an oz. I apply it 14 oz to an acre and I have no white fly issues or sucking insect that produce sooty mold, my grove have never been cleaner. The word "Rip off",  not a good word to describe this excellent product. In my years I have come to believe that the unlisted so called inactive ingredients makes a lot of difference as well as the quality control of a mayor multinational like Bayer.  Cool,  you use your Ebay product I'll keep using Admire Pro. I don't have a pest problem.....
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 05:21:18 PM by CTMIAMI »
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #227 on: July 18, 2013, 05:34:44 PM »
Mark,  Admire Pro has gone down in price. My last 140 oz were $172.00  a $1.21 an oz. I apply it 14 oz to an acre and I have no white fly issues or sucking insect that produce sooty mold, my grove have never been cleaner. The word "Rip off",  not a good word to describe this excellent product. In my years I have come to believe that the unlisted so called inactive ingredients makes a lot of difference as well as the quality control of a mayor multinational like Bayer.  Cool,  you use your Ebay product I'll keep using Admire Pro. I don't have a pest problem.....
Further I computed my cost per oz of active ingredient and is $2.95 the Ebay come to $5.23 an oz of active ingredient. So I think you are not saving anything. Check my math 2.25oz X 4 =9 X ai75 = 6.75 of ai for $36.00  divided by 6.75 = $5.23 that is what you are paying of oz of active ingredient.

May be storing Admire Pro over a long time may not work but I find it indispensable

"I buy and use the hell outta imdacloprid and used it several times as a spray and drench on my greenhouse stock as well as my vineyard.  I still have white flies and the down side is it must have killed mite predators because about 3 months after a couple of applications I had the mite attack, on everything.  Also, Admire Pro is a rip off.  Another down side to Admire is the limited shelf life.  The active ingredient will settle out over time and not go back into solution by shaking it.  Try this at 1/10 the cost for the same product labeled on about anything edible and a WP powder which is much more practical.  http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=Adonis+75+WSP+Imidacloprid+75%25&_sop=15   

Just trying to save you money while getting the same results.  "Back in the old days" I bought Admire Pro, BUT, there is no reason to buy Admire Pro now that the patent has expired which has induced a huge price drop in imidacloprid.  Last time I bought it was an order for 7 sealed foil packs.  That's (4) 2.25oz packs of the 75% WP per foil pack, enough to make 1,700 gals. of spray material, for $36!!!!!  ;)

« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 09:40:06 PM by CTMIAMI »
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

cuban007

• AZUCAR!!!
  • Cuida la naturaleza y la naturaleza te cuidara'
    • SoCal, The IE, Zone 9b/SoFla, The Redlands, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: July 18, 2013, 08:33:46 PM »
Mark I thought Imidacloprid was most effective used as a systemic insecticide/peticide. A soil drench would be more effective than spraying. At least that is the manufacturer's direction.

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: July 18, 2013, 10:55:21 PM »
A soil drench of imidacloprid is more effective than a foliar spray for only one reason, it is translocated over a longer period of time throughout plant tissue as opposed to a one time foliar shot because it stays active in the soil.  Caveat - it takes a helluva lot more of the product than a foliar spray.  For tropicals like cados and mango, a soil drench is probably the way to go and I guess I need to up my game.  For grapevines, my foliar sprays have worked wonders.  I find dead leafhoppers/sharpshooters (carriers of the deadly Pierce's Disease bacteria) under the vines all the time, and that's the only insecticide I've used.

Regarding brands - Merit WP, Adonis, Admire Pro, Criterion 75 WSP , etc.....they're all pretty much the same product with certain caveats.   The Adonis label is a verbatim copy label of Admire Pro.    Admire Pro is only 42.8% imidacloprid as opposed to  Adonis 75WP which is 75% of the active ingredient.

The white flies on my cados don't seem to be  doing any damage....they just "bug me".  :)  Mites are a different story.  They've kicked my ass.

I went through the typical industry price gouging steps starting with the patented Admire Pro then on to Merit WP and now to Adonis.

Stay bug free,
Mark     
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 11:17:46 PM by Mark in Texas »

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: July 19, 2013, 01:53:16 AM »
JF, I was fortunate to get a taste of a Fuerte avocado, thanks to you and Carlos. It was an all around very pleasant experience. It reminded me of the avocado slices my grandmother would put in my soup, it's definitely a quality avocado cultivar, thanks again. You are very fortunate that 'Fuerte' grows/bears well in your area.

10 Pages!
This thread has reached 10 pages long, and it has done so while almost completly filling the 'South Florida Winter Avocado Void' ('SFL-WAV').
This 'SF-WAV' loosely corresponds to the months of Jan-June. Of these first six months of the year, March, April and May, are the ones that are in most need to be filled in with a good quality avocado cultivar(s).

Thank you to all the Tropical Fruit Forum members, who have contributed in this collaboration to fill the 'SFL-WAV:' Nullzero, Zands, Fruitlovers, Mark in Texas, JF, Cuban007, Berto, Johnb51, Edself65, Droshi, Ryan, Green Thumb, Bananimal, ScottR, ofdsurfer, jc, bradflorida, digigarden, tropicdude and rob. A special thank you goes to Carlos, in appreciation for his above and beyond, outstanding, contributions/assistance in achieving the goal of filling in the 'SFL-WAV.'

The last mile to be run in a marathon is known to be the hardest.
Although the 'SFL-WAV' 'List' is almost complete, your continued help/assistance will be needed to finish the last mile of this ongoing journey.
We've come a long way, but the best is just to come. Stay tuned in and please keep it coming.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 02:44:38 AM by LEOOEL »
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #231 on: July 19, 2013, 07:52:04 AM »
JF, I was fortunate to get a taste of a Fuerte avocado, thanks to you and Carlos. It was an all around very pleasant experience. It reminded me of the avocado slices my grandmother would put in my soup, it's definitely a quality avocado cultivar, thanks again. You are very fortunate that 'Fuerte' grows/bears well in your area.

You may recall that before Hass "took over the world" Fuerte was everyone's fair haired child.  It is indeed delicious.  A little harder to peel for me (although I always scoop with a spoon) with a thinner skin that doesn't protect the meat as well as the leathery Hass and probably the only reason why it's not the #1 marketed cado still.

Ya done good!  Keep up the good work.  You, Carlos and the other fine people here pursuing your passion will/are revolutionizing the Florida avocado industry.  Texas would still be doing such if it weren't for a hard freeze that wiped out a TX A&M varietal test plot being conducted in Weslaco, a Tex/Mex border town in the 80's.  What's sad is that some varietals made it through this freeze OK..... so what did the Aggies do?  Bulldozed the whole orchard and gave up on it.   :-\    I have that report and it is amazing.  They were testing about 30 varietals and reported in extreme detail all you'd want to know about each varietal such as the skin thickness (determines anthracnose susceptibility), oil content, flavor, amount of edible flesh, fiber content, harvest dates, profile of tree, etc.  Both unnamed (like WA2-3-27) and named Florida and California wood were grown.

Mark
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 08:27:31 AM by Mark in Texas »

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #232 on: July 19, 2013, 08:05:18 AM »
Mark,  Admire Pro has gone down in price. My last 140 oz were $172.00  a $1.21 an oz. I apply it 14 oz to an acre and I have no white fly issues or sucking insect that produce sooty mold, my grove have never been cleaner.

Carlos, please read my post and the label if you have some time.  Adonis 75WP is labeled to be applied at a rate of 1.6 oz per acre for fruits and grapes, not 14 oz.  Cost - about $6.00/acre. Just trying to save ya some dinero amigo.

I have attended Aggie sponsored Pierce's Disease workshops and Admire Pro was first recommended while the rest of the world was still messin' in their britches. :)  This was 10 years ago, at least.  Grape production is a huge operation in Texas now (wineries' demands are 10 times the Texas supply) and most vineyards are using generic forms of imidacloprid.  Same with glyphosate (Round-Up).   I network with these guys and know of no one still buying Admire Pro.  Again, here's the label for your convenience, so you can compare - http://www.envincio.com/product-dload/Adonis75WSP_speclabel.pdf

Perhaps the reason you choose Admire Pro is that it's labeled for commercial use on fruit and veggie crops (thanks to some weird EPA  technicality, of which you are "legally" bound to do so) while Adonis 75 is labeled for residential fruit, ornamentals, nut trees, etc. Go figure.  That's the kind of crap, the power games, you get out of our federal government in this case the EPA.  I refuse to be a voluntary slave to their absurd dictates.  I'm a good steward of  my health and the environment and if I find out I can buy the same product for 1/10 of the cost, I'm going to do it.  If upon my research I find out a product is any way harmful to my health or the environment, I won't use it.

I report, you decide,
Mark
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 08:31:02 AM by Mark in Texas »

cuban007

• AZUCAR!!!
  • Cuida la naturaleza y la naturaleza te cuidara'
    • SoCal, The IE, Zone 9b/SoFla, The Redlands, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: July 19, 2013, 10:48:28 AM »
Mark, thanx for the insight. How often do you use Adonis on your plants???

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #234 on: July 19, 2013, 02:54:37 PM »
Mark is all the amount of active ingredient needed. May be that is why you are having a problem with white flies. The Admire Pro range of product for grave vines are 7-14 oz per acre.  If you use your Ebay product to reach those levels it would cost you more..
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #235 on: July 19, 2013, 03:16:38 PM »
Mark, thanx for the insight. How often do you use Adonis on your plants???

Welcome!  Apparently not often enough.  Been about 6 months since I hit the cados and citrus.  Hit the vineyard this morning.  Vineyard gets sprayed about every 6 weeks. 

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: July 19, 2013, 04:37:01 PM »

10 Pages!
This thread has reached 10 pages long, and it has done so while almost completly filling the 'South Florida Winter Avocado Void' ('SFL-WAV').
This 'SF-WAV' loosely corresponds to the months of Jan-June. Of these first six months of the year, March, April and May, are the ones that are in most need to be filled in with a good quality avocado cultivar(s).

Thank you to all the Tropical Fruit Forum members, who have contributed in this collaboration to fill the 'SFL-WAV:' Nullzero, Zands, Fruitlovers, Mark in Texas, JF, Cuban007, Berto, Johnb51, Edself65, Droshi, Ryan, Green Thumb, Bananimal, ScottR, ofdsurfer, jc, bradflorida, digigarden, tropicdude and rob. A special thank you goes to Carlos, in appreciation for his above and beyond, outstanding, contributions/assistance in achieving the goal of filling in the 'SFL-WAV.'

The last mile to be run in a marathon is known to be the hardest.
Although the 'SFL-WAV' 'List' is almost complete, your continued help/assistance will be needed to finish the last mile of this ongoing journey.
We've come a long way, but the best is just to come. Stay tuned in and please keep it coming.

You welcome Leo but.....I didnt send Carlos the Fuertes it might have been Cuban007. Fuertes are out of season in my area I wonder were he got it.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #237 on: July 19, 2013, 06:19:14 PM »
Mark is all the amount of active ingredient needed. May be that is why you are having a problem with white flies. The Admire Pro range of product for grave vines are 7-14 oz per acre.  If you use your Ebay product to reach those levels it would cost you more..

The Admire Pro label calls for 2.8 oz/acre for foliar apps; 10.5 - 14 oz/acre for a soil drench on tropicals.  Are you spraying or applying it to the soil?

I used to use the 14 oz rate, split between 2 SOIL applications about 6 weeks apart on grapes.  Yes, I need to increase my amount on my greenhouse tropicals.

My Adonis Ebay Golden Award Special  :P calls for 1 oz/acre for grapes, foliar, which is very easy for me to do when I load up my tractor mounted airblaster with fungicides like Rally and Captan.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 06:25:08 PM by Mark in Texas »

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #238 on: July 19, 2013, 11:46:01 PM »
JF, thank you for the encouraging words of support and offer of assistance, they're accecpted and needed. Carlos once told me that the avocado is the perfect food, and I agree with that statement. You can cut it open, scoop it out with a spoon and eat it, yummy! Or, you can guacamole it into a paste, add some lemon, crushed black pepper, finely diced onions and garlic, olive oil and voila, perfection. It's hard to think of a more nutritious food than that. Then, you can relax, maybe while watching a movie, and scoop the guacamole up with some organic corn chips, heavenly!

Mark in Texas, I'm sorry about that winter storm devastating an avocado research field. You're right, the surviving avocado cultivars should have been put on a 'pedestal,' and definitely not be destroyed as it happened then. From what you've said, it sounds like Texas is also 'virgin' avocado territory, just like Florida; and thank you for the kind words.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 12:33:20 AM by LEOOEL »
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #239 on: July 20, 2013, 02:58:50 PM »
Mark in Texas, I'm sorry about that winter storm devastating an avocado research field. You're right, the surviving avocado cultivars should have been put on a 'pedestal,' and definitely not be destroyed as it happened then. From what you've said, it sounds like Texas is also 'virgin' avocado territory, just like Florida; and thank you for the kind words.

Yeah, I was sick to hear that news.  Got it from a now retired tropical fruit extension agent Dr. Julian Sauls who was in charge of the project.

Texas will never be an avocado producing area.  Only place it will work is in the valley, the lowest Rio Grande area bordering with Mexico, but the citrus fields and tropical fruit fields are being sold to real estate developers.  Isn't that the way it always goes?   There are still some Lula and citrus orchards going.

Not to brag (too much), but Texas has done some incredible research and development and produced some great citrus varietals i.e. Star Ruby, Rio Red grapefruit (my fave), very cold hardy Orange Blast and Arctic Blast satsumas, etc.  Also, the fruit that is grown in south Texas is much sweeter, richer, and juicier than any I've had out of California and Florida. 

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: July 20, 2013, 03:03:29 PM »
Hi, i have two mago va,r kent and osteen. And 3 avocado var, hass, bacon and reed. Only some months in the grownd and reed allready had flowers. Half a dozen polinized, but with time all the green small balls fall.

Zambezi

• USA, Houston, TX. Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: July 20, 2013, 04:27:16 PM »
Leooel,

10 pages!!..:) I know you started this post to fill the 'SFL-WAV ', but if it wasn't for your dedication and insight, and the experiences and wealth of knowledge of all the forum  avocado experts, this post would not have come together. So keep on sharing. Hopefully soon you'll be able to crack the 'SFL-WAV'..:)

Yeah, I was sick to hear that news.  Got it from a now retired tropical fruit extension agent Dr. Julian Sauls who was in charge of the project.

I can't imagine them just destroying all those trees!!! As you mentioned Dr. Sauls, I remembered seeing his name on some documents that I had collected while searching on info. about avocados in Texas.

The article is a little old (2010) but it has some good information, and I thought some of you might appreciate it. Enjoy!

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/fruit-nut/files/2010/10/avocados.pdf

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #242 on: July 21, 2013, 01:51:34 AM »
Mark in Texas, that is heresy. It makes me sick to my stomach, when I also pass by new real estate development, on what used to be exclusive fruit tree fertile land.
I'm all for progress, but a right balance of development and rural areas is essential.
Also, I'm impressed that 'Lula' avocado grows well in Southern Texas, thanks for that info. I keep getting all the time more and more fond of the 'Lula' avocado cultivar. Thanks to your postings, and those of others, I've recently become aware that all kinds of different fruit can be grown in Texas. Who would have thought?
After living for a few years in the wonderful state of Louisiana (I was a young boy then), my family almost moved to the great state of Texas, to which we were greatly attracted to. But, partly due to the sub-tropical South Florida climate, we chose Miami, FLorida. No one in my family has had any idea of the wonderful fruit that could be grown in Texas. I love where I'm at right now, but a part of me wishes I had several lifetimes, in order to live in some different, favorite, locations.

Luisport, of the fruit trees that you mentioned, I'm only familiar with the 'Hass' avocado and the 'Kent' mango, since I have both fruit trees.
As you know 'Hass' avocado has been a worldwide hit, and the 'Kent' mango is a classic, quality cultivar. Those are two excellent choices. I think that you know what you're doing. And, although I don't know how they'll do in Portugal, I think that you're lucky to have '...69' (Steven Silva's) Forum postings and the fact that he also lives in Portugal, best of luck.

Green Thumb, you're absolutly right, the success that we've had, and God willing, that we will continue to have, could not have been possible without the contributions of Forum members and avocado experts such as Carlos, they have been and are essential to successfully filling the 'SFL-WAV.' I'm very optimistic that we'll successfully achieve our goal, but much work still needs to be done to fill the months of March, April and May, in the 'SFL-WAV,' and a little bit of luck wouldn't hurt either (it usually comes with hard work).
On a separate note, I read the article by Dr. Sauls that you posted. Although the Wilma avocado is trademarked, it's interesting that "it has demonstrated good cold hardiness," which makes me wonder about how appropriate it would be to fill the 'SFL-WAV.' Thank you for the article, very informative.
P.S. Your kind words of encouragement are very much appreciated, thank you.

CTMIAMI, the 'DuPoi' avocado that you gave me to try out finally ripened and I'd like to tell you what happened. Yesterday, I cut out a slice and it tasted good. Then, today after many hours of continuous work in my yard, I became hungry and decided to go straight for the remaining 'DuPoi' that was in the fridge. I was amazed, the same avocado that I had yesterday, yet the quality of the taste today blew me away. I could taste hints of garlic, onion, lemony and other kinds of nutty almondy flavors that I had not tasted yesterday, amazing. I just couldn't stop and I ate the whole remaining thing. It's incredible the effect that a little hunger can have on the taste buds. This reminds me of an article by Richard J. Campbell. The same thing happened to him, but with an 'Alphonso' mango that he had for the first time, under similar circumstances, while visiting India. Thank you for the 'DuPoi' avocado, a very interesting, fulfilling, tasty avocado cultivar.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 01:59:02 AM by LEOOEL »

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #243 on: July 21, 2013, 10:31:46 AM »
I can't imagine them just destroying all those trees!!! As you mentioned Dr. Sauls, I remembered seeing his name on some documents that I had collected while searching on info. about avocados in Texas.

The article is a little old (2010) but it has some good information, and I thought some of you might appreciate it. Enjoy!

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/fruit-nut/files/2010/10/avocados.pdf

Dr. Sauls was a little pithy but brilliant. Same with Jim Kamas from that article.  He is assigned to my county, is also brilliant, does incredible fast moving workshops and was the Pierce's Disease head honcho hear the research station before the State pulled the funds.  Here we are one the fastest growing, biggest grape and winery industries in the country, and the frickin' State pulls the funds!  Another one of those "go figure".

The publication I referenced is "Fruit Quality Evaluations of Avocado Cultivars for Subtropical Texas", Weslaco, 1991.  I gave The Avocado Man (Bill Schneider of Devine) a copy of it.

Mark

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #244 on: July 21, 2013, 10:38:09 AM »
Mark in Texas, that is heresy. It makes me sick to my stomach, when I also pass by new real estate development, on what used to be exclusive fruit tree fertile land.
I'm all for progress, but a right balance of development and rural areas is essential.
Also, I'm impressed that 'Lula' avocado grows well in Southern Texas, thanks for that info. I keep getting all the time more and more fond of the 'Lula' avocado cultivar. Thanks to your postings, and those of others, I've recently become aware that all kinds of different fruit can be grown in Texas. Who would have thought?

You'd be surprised, we have a very active Yahoo groups 'Texas Tropical Fruit growers' forum going.  Lots of folks in Texas growing subtropical and tropical fruit.    Yep, Lula is king here.

Keep up the good work!
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 07:47:03 AM by Mark in Texas »

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #245 on: July 21, 2013, 12:52:13 PM »
Leo the Dupuis avocado is excellent if not the best early cultivar in So Florida. It gets a bump rap because it is not very prolific but taste wise one of my favorites.  It also has a peculiarity that the last fruit set stays small 8-12oz and stays in the tree a long time and get better and better.
By the way the California avocado from Cuban007 was a Hass not a Fuerte. Excellent quality. I still have a couple. I don't understand why Public, Windxie BJ etc.  can not sell California Hass much better than the Mexican, Peruvian and Chiliean Hass.
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #246 on: July 21, 2013, 03:48:59 PM »
Leo the Dupuis avocado is excellent if not the best early cultivar in So Florida. It gets a bum rap because it is not very prolific but taste wise one of my favorites.  It also has a peculiarity that the last fruit set stays small 8-12oz and stays in the tree a long time and get better and better. (quote)

Carlos, this DuPoi avocado cultivar sure has some excellent, quality characteristics. I sure like the one about it holding the fruit for a long time. If it's at all possible, I'd be interested in knowing the date the the first fruit is picked (dropped) off the tree, and the date that the last fruit is picked (dropped) off the tree. Also, I wish there was another avocado cultivar that had similar characteristics as the DuPoi, but that was also 'prolific.'

Thanks for sorting out that the 'California-Hass' avocado that you let me taste, was from Cuban007. That was a very generous gesture of him to do. I enjoyed very much the wonderful taste and quality of the fruit. I'm aware that they can grow all kinds of incredible quality fruit in S. California, where Cuban007 is at. Thanks to both of you for a memorable treat.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 03:52:20 PM by LEOOEL »

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: July 21, 2013, 04:02:19 PM »

Luisport, of the fruit trees that you mentioned, I'm only familiar with the 'Hass' avocado and the 'Kent' mango, since I have both fruit trees.
As you know 'Hass' avocado has been a worldwide hit, and the 'Kent' mango is a classic, quality cultivar. Those are two excellent choices. I think that you know what you're doing. And, although I don't know how they'll do in Portugal, I think that you're lucky to have '...69' (Steven Silva's) Forum postings and the fact that he also lives in Portugal, best of luck.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR INSIGHTS! ;D

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #248 on: July 21, 2013, 04:31:28 PM »
Some Forum members have mentioned that they are running out of space to plant fruit trees. A solution might be to plant 'cocktail' trees. For example, one of my goals in this thread, is to be able to come up with 'One - Avocado Cocktail Tree' ('ACT-1'), which will give me avocados for the first six months ('SFL-WAV') of the year. And, a 'Second - Avocado Cocktail Tree' ('ACT-2'), which would give me avocados for the last six months of the year. Whether this is doable or not, I guess we'll find out, but I think that it is doable.

'ACT-2:' It's a given that this is doable. If no one has done this yet, it's just a matter of time. In my S. Florida Temperature Zone 10b, I get avocados from trees in my yard from June to December.

'ACT-1:' For this to be accomplished, we need to fill in the months of March, April and May of the 'SFL-WAV,' preferably with a/some quality avocado cultivar(s).
With the help of Forum members, which has some awesome avocado experts, I'm confident we'll get this done in a relatively quick amount of time.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 04:34:23 PM by LEOOEL »

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: July 21, 2013, 04:40:26 PM »
Some Forum members have mentioned that they are running out of space to plant fruit trees. A solution might be to plant 'cocktail' trees. For example, one of my goals in this thread, is to be able to come up with 'One - Avocado Cocktail Tree' ('ACT-1'), which will give me avocados for the first six months ('SFL-WAV') of the year. And, a 'Second - Avocado Cocktail Tree' ('ACT-2'), which would give me avocados for the last six months of the year. Whether this is doable or not, I guess we'll find out, but I think that it is doable.

'ACT-2:' It's a given that this is doable. If no one has done this yet, it's just a matter of time. In my S. Florida Temperature Zone 10b, I get avocados from trees in my yard from June to December.

'ACT-1:' For this to be accomplished, we need to fill in the months of March, April and May of the 'SFL-WAV,' preferably with a/some quality avocado cultivar(s).
With the help of Forum members, which has some awesome avocado experts, I'm confident we'll get this done in a relatively quick amount of time.
I don't know if i understand correctly... you talk about trees that will give for 6 months?