Author Topic: Anyone with good fruit set on either Ugly Betty or Sunrise?  (Read 5713 times)

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
Anyone with good fruit set on either Ugly Betty or Sunrise?
« on: March 05, 2019, 01:05:50 PM »

Love the taste of both the varieties, but they do not seem productive at all in my yard. Both flower easily but seem unable to hold on to many fruits. Anything I can do to improve fruit set? If not, I am going to have to topwork a couple of new varieties on to the trees.

What are some of the new varieties that seem to be productive and good, taste-wise?

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone with good fruit set on either Ugly Betty or Sunrise?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2019, 02:27:12 PM »
Wonder if this might help?

http://scihub.org/ABJNA/PDF/2010/3/1-3-421-429.pdf

Simon had posted this in another thread. Kelp with yeast foliar spray evidently helps with fruit set and quality. I've sprayed my flowers on Glenn, NDM4, Venus, and Coco Cream. All have little fruits now.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2019, 04:42:39 PM »
Been decent on sunrise (don't have UB planted). Decent to me is 1 fruit per 1 - 2 pannicles.
Jeff  :-)

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2019, 05:09:03 PM »
Ugly Betty has been a huge disappointment for us. I’ll have to check Sunrise.

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2019, 05:30:26 PM »
Been decent on sunrise (don't have UB planted). Decent to me is 1 fruit per 1 - 2 pannicles.

The fruit to pannicle ratio for me on the Sunrise last year was like 1:40 : :(  This year, it looks even worse.  How do you take care of the tree?  What is your fertilizer regimen and what do you spray the flowers with?

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2019, 05:55:11 PM »
Yikes. I give mine Har's 0-3-16 3 - 4 times per year and then spray with a rotation of fungicides when flowering commences, roughly once every 2 weeks. I did miss a week this year though ... was out of the country on vacation. Seems like it took a couple of years of consistent fertilization before yields started to increase.

The fruit to pannicle ratio for me on the Sunrise last year was like 1:40 : :(  This year, it looks even worse.  How do you take care of the tree?  What is your fertilizer regimen and what do you spray the flowers with?

FlMikey

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2019, 10:58:58 PM »
In general does Sunrise set a lot of fruit?  I was thinking of grafting it on my Sweet Tart.

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2019, 01:02:03 PM »
Roblack,
How is the yeast extract prepared?

That interesting paper didn't say whether the algae extract was from marine species (such as Kelp, or other), or from fresh-water algae.
Har

Oncorhynchus

• SW Florida, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2019, 02:56:44 PM »
Roblack,
How is the yeast extract prepared?

That interesting paper didn't say whether the algae extract was from marine species (such as Kelp, or other), or from fresh-water algae.

I didn’t read the whole thing but it said 0.2% active bread yeast so I’m assuming they just dissolved regular old bakers yeast in water and sprayed it on. I looked into Oligo-X and it’s made with blue green algae so I’m guessing spirulina.

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2019, 07:15:00 PM »

Most of the Sunrise tree still has open flowers but a few that have set look normal so far:

FlMikey

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2019, 06:48:42 AM »

Most of the Sunrise tree still has open flowers but a few that have set look normal so far:

I'd be happy with that fruit set.  How's disease resistance (I live in West Broward so far inland)?

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2019, 07:43:22 AM »
The paper mentioned using different, very specific concentrations of active bread yeast.

If one were simply weighing, or volume measuring, powdered yeast, one could easily figure concentration;  however, I am not at all sure how I would go about getting yeast to be actively growing and then measure concentration.  Any ideas?
Har

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2019, 07:53:26 AM »
I was a little confused by the paper as well. What I've done, as per Simon, is the use the following per gallon of water:

1 teaspoon of yeast

1 - 2 tablespoons of kelp extract

1/2 teaspoon of coco wet.

I've been spraying everything with it, and plants are responding positively. One of my dwarf coconut palms had leaves that were yellowing, coloring up nicely after one spraying. Hitting the mango flowers with it, and getting good fruit set. Probably just a coincidence, but pineapples started flowering a couple of weeks after being sprayed.

Thinking of spraying my kids.

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2019, 08:05:23 AM »
Very helpful, and easy.
Har

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2019, 08:14:41 AM »
I guess one could measure the powder, per a 0.2% concentration of the future spray mix, but place it initially in a small amount of warm water for a few hours, perhaps with blackstrap molasses to work on.  Blackstrap is also a traditional micronutrient source.
Har

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2019, 08:45:04 AM »
The results in that paper sound almost too good to be true, considering the simplicity of the spray concoction.

But it would be really easy to try for oneself as Rob has done.

Wonder how it would affect other fruits, like Asimina triloba....may have to try it someday.

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2019, 05:55:46 PM »

I'd be happy with that fruit set.  How's disease resistance (I live in West Broward so far inland)?

It seems to be pretty disease resistant.

clannewton

• Brevard County, Melbourne , FL 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2019, 07:19:27 PM »
I had three sunrise trees and one ugly betty that gave me tons of fruit last year.  I am in Brevard county. The fruit were clean and this year they are just now flowering. The sunrise trees in particular were very productive and had a pretty extended season.

mangomongo

• MERRITT ISLAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2019, 08:55:08 PM »
I had three sunrise trees and one ugly betty that gave me tons of fruit last year.  I am in Brevard county. The fruit were clean and this year they are just now flowering. The sunrise trees in particular were very productive and had a pretty extended season.

How is the fruit on both of those?

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2019, 09:22:09 PM »

How is the fruit on both of those?

Very good..

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2019, 10:03:26 PM »
I guess one could measure the powder, per a 0.2% concentration of the future spray mix, but place it initially in a small amount of warm water for a few hours, perhaps with blackstrap molasses to work on.  Blackstrap is also a traditional micronutrient source.

To activate baker's yeast, get a cup of warm water (110 F) and sprinkle yeast on top. Following Har's recommendation, probably would be good to add blackstrap molasses (1 teaspoon) at this time. Yeast feeds on sugar. Wait 15 minutes, and should be ready. Then mix in the kelp, wetting agent, and water to make a gallon of spray.

Seems it would work well with pawpaw. I sprayed avocado flowers recently, going to hit them again in a week or so. My avocado tree (oro negro) flowered for first time last year, held fruit for a while, then dropped all fruit. Hoping for better results this year. Tree is 100% in bloom.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2019, 04:32:30 PM »
Here's my sunrise. Fruit set has actually been really strong on the second bloom, and I missed a fungicide spray at a critical point (I was on vacation).

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2019, 04:40:56 PM »

Here's my sunrise. Fruit set has actually been really strong on the second bloom, and I missed a fungicide spray at a critical point (I was on vacation).

That is great to see, Jeff, and gives me hope. Fruit set has  improved on the second bloom for me as well; the first was a total washout. It is the case with Carrie as well; the first bloom on both the varieties have been abysmal for the last 3-4 years at least but the second bloom is markedly better. 

I have a grand total of one mango from the first bloom on Ugly Betty. It is in bloom again and I hope I get at least 10 mangoes from the second bloom. I am planning to topwork the tree; any suggestions on a productive and vigorous cultivar from among the recent ones? I have Edgar in mind, but the  variety is only medium vigor in my yard while UB loves to grow.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2019, 05:33:18 PM »
Judging by the many little fruit set on my grafted section, Venus is setting like no other in my yard. No way it will hold all of them, but excellent thus far. A nice later season mango as well.

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2019, 07:00:43 PM »
Judging by the many little fruit set on my grafted section, Venus is setting like no other in my yard. No way it will hold all of them, but excellent thus far. A nice later season mango as well.

Sorry, are you attributing this to the spray?  Thanks!