Author Topic: Is MBBS a problem for mangoes on the Florida West Coast yet?  (Read 2488 times)

nighthawk0911@yahoo.com

• Blue lives matter.
    • SW Florida Zone 9B
    • View Profile
Is MBBS a problem for certain varieties of mangoes on the Florida WEST Coast yet?  If not is it just a matter of time?  Thanks.
Blessed be the man who plants a tree knowing he will never live to enjoy it's fruit or shade.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
Re: Is MBBS a problem for mangoes on the Florida West Coast yet?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2018, 06:55:15 PM »
Yes, I believe I see it on some of my mangoes here in Bokeelia, Pine Island, Lee county. This is only my second season here and I am working to understand and mitigate it. I am still getting many good clean fruits despite the situation.

nighthawk0911@yahoo.com

• Blue lives matter.
    • SW Florida Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2018, 07:05:45 PM »
Both Chris & Alex are saying it's a big problem for Kent & other mangoes with Brooks genes.  Was wondering if planting a dooryard Kent tree on the WEST coast is just asking for problems.  I had a spot reserved for a couple of late varieties.  Keitt was going to be one & Kent possibly the other.  Now I'm thinking I'd be better off replacing Kent with Beverly.   Input & suggestions welcome.

Truly Tropical top working Kents

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzPWx0YxgMY&t=124s
Blessed be the man who plants a tree knowing he will never live to enjoy it's fruit or shade.

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2018, 10:47:56 PM »
Both Chris & Alex are saying it's a big problem for Kent & other mangoes with Brooks genes.  Was wondering if planting a dooryard Kent tree on the WEST coast is just asking for problems.  I had a spot reserved for a couple of late varieties.  Keitt was going to be one & Kent possibly the other.  Now I'm thinking I'd be better off replacing Kent with Beverly.   Input & suggestions welcome.

Beverly gets it too.

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2018, 10:52:24 PM »
Yes, I believe I see it on some of my mangoes here in Bokeelia, Pine Island, Lee county. This is only my second season here and I am working to understand and mitigate it. I am still getting many good clean fruits despite the situation.

Post some pics so we can take a look. I’m aware of it in counties directly north and south of Palm Beach but hadn’t heard of it reaching the west coast yet.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2018, 12:40:19 AM »
I'm not a big fan of Kent. The fruit I've seen around here typically get anthracnose pretty badly. They are also very prone to jelly seed, as the fruit is completely fiberless. A perfect Kent specimen can be quite good, but most of the ones I see are gelatinous, black spotted compost fodder.
Jeff  :-)

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2018, 07:29:01 AM »

Post some pics so we can take a look. I’m aware of it in counties directly north and south of Palm Beach but hadn’t heard of it reaching the west coast yet.

I'll get some more pics but this was from last year:

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2018, 11:24:15 AM »
The one on the far left looks like it could potentially be MBBS, hard to tell. Is that NDM?

I'll get some more pics but this was from last year:

Bigstick62

• Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2018, 02:06:22 PM »
Here is the disease on my Venus Mango in Port Saint Lucie. I had to throw away all the fruit as they are literally rotting on the tree !  :( :( :(

nighthawk0911@yahoo.com

• Blue lives matter.
    • SW Florida Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2018, 06:35:17 AM »
Does having a mango variety that is susceptible to MBBS planted in close proximity to other mango trees posiblly effect the other tres or fruit in a small dooryard grove?

nighthawk0911@yahoo.com

• Blue lives matter.
    • SW Florida Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2018, 06:38:54 AM »

Hey Alex

So what are the options now if you want LATE varieties that that aren't MBBS susceptible?

Beverly gets it too.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2018, 11:29:04 AM »
Is there such a thing as a mango that's not MBBS susceptible? I've been finding it on quite a few cultivars. To my surprise, I even found what looks to be an MBBS lesion on one of my orange sherbet mangos.

I think MBBS is just another disease / pest / pathogen that growers in Florida will have to deal with. And discovering that a previously disease resistant tree now is susceptible to a new pathogen is just par for the course here in South Florida.

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2018, 11:42:18 AM »

Hey Alex

So what are the options now if you want LATE varieties that that aren't MBBS susceptible?

Beverly gets it too.

Honey Kiss appears to be relatively resistant. Other than that, I speculate  some of Gary Zill’s other late-season selections are resistant but it’s going to take a couple years to determine this.

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2018, 11:49:41 AM »
Is there such a thing as a mango that's not MBBS susceptible? I've been finding it on quite a few cultivars. To my surprise, I even found what looks to be an MBBS lesion on one of my orange sherbet mangos.

I think MBBS is just another disease / pest / pathogen that growers in Florida will have to deal with. And discovering that a previously disease resistant tree now is susceptible to a new pathogen is just par for the course here in South Florida.

Any mango can get it much like any mango can get anthracnose, but the degree of susceptibility can vary considerably by cultivar. This has already been established overseas where the disease has existed for a while now in areas of Australia and South Africa. Susceptibility to the rots, which are separate pathogens, seems to coincide with MBBS susceptibility.

There’s a major difference between losing 1 in 10 or 20 fruit to it and losing a majority of your crop, which many people in Palm Beach and surrounding area are experiencing at this point now that the pathogens have have several years to accumulate and build up.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2018, 02:32:34 PM »
Right, but the question above asks "So what are the options now if you want LATE varieties that that aren't MBBS susceptible?". I think the answer is none, as is the answer to the more general question of "which varieties of mango, regardless of season, aren't MBBS susceptible." Perhaps early season cultivars will be more resistant, due to the fact that fruit are harvested before the onslaught of rain and humidity?

Keitt has been the most susceptible of my trees. I first started seeing the disease about 5 or 6 years ago on my Keitt, and it did build to the point where I was literally losing over 90% of the crop, months before harvest time. A the time, I had no idea what it was. Har (who was taking care of my property at the time) was also stumped.

I hard pruned the Keitt a couple of years ago. This year, it has some MBBS again, but it looks like I might be the 1 in 10 or less fruit loss range (vs 9 in 10 as before). Not sure if it will build up to the 90% level again. We'll see how this plays out.

Does Walter still have his Keitt grove?

-- Update --
My Keitt is now trending towards 40% crop loss. It went from squeaky clean fruit about a month ago to 10% or so loss about 2 weeks ago, to a burgeoning infection on its way to ruin the entire crop again. So hard pruning is apparently not a solution. I'm not sure which climatic condition lead to this, but it seems to be heavily exacerbated by rain, heat, and humidity. Looks like I'm going to finally complete my total topwork of the keitt...

One of my Lemon Zest trees has somewhere around 15 - 20% of fruit affected. The other two trees have been fine.

Any mango can get it much like any mango can get anthracnose, but the degree of susceptibility can vary considerably by cultivar. This has already been established overseas where the disease has existed for a while now in areas of Australia and South Africa. Susceptibility to the rots, which are separate pathogens, seems to coincide with MBBS susceptibility.

There’s a major difference between losing 1 in 10 or 20 fruit to it and losing a majority of your crop, which many people in Palm Beach and surrounding area are experiencing at this point now that the pathogens have have several years to accumulate and build up.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 04:30:57 PM by Cookie Monster »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk