Author Topic: Help with ants at the base of my mango tree  (Read 1729 times)

Rerod

• USA, FL Safety Harbor
    • View Profile
Help with ants at the base of my mango tree
« on: December 25, 2016, 11:09:26 PM »
Need advice on what to do about the trunk of this mango tree. This tree is planted in Safety Harbor which is middle of Pinellas county. This is a seedling that was in a 15 gallon pot for about 4-5 years until this past May when I planted it in the ground.  It has had two flushes and grown about 4ft since then.  I have grafted two other varieties to it over the last two years.  I recently noticed that the trunk at the bottom was cracking and when the soil at the base is disturbed I notice a lot of ants.  I may water this tree every couple of weeks with a hose. I have fertilized with furitilizer twice since I planted it in May.  The mulch in the picture is as of this past week.  Prior to the mulch there were weeds up to the trunk.  Are the ants the problem or are they a sign of an underlying issue with the tree? Any help is much appreciated.

mangomongo

• MERRITT ISLAND
    • View Profile
Re: Help with ants at the base of my mango tree
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2016, 09:07:06 AM »
I'm by no means an expert but I would say that the ants just like the well draining soil that is used when growing mango trees in a pot, I had ants in all my pots bought directly from Zill, it didn't seem to be a problem at all. I just put some granules around it.

As for the "cracking" around the trunk. Again I'm no expert but I would guess that your tree grew so quickly that the bark could not heal itself at the rate it was expanding. Too much nitrogen maybe? I like to plant mine with a lot of compost mixed into the soil around it to promote tree growth on some of my smaller purchases. It seems to provide all of the nitrogen and minerals the trees need to get going. I'm sure some of the more experience forum members can weigh in with more conclusive information.   

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2016, 11:13:52 AM »
The cracking is not a problem. It's actually a good sign. It simply means that the tree just finished laying down a boatload of new roots and is growing very healthily.
Jeff  :-)

carolstropicals

• USA, Texas, Houston, 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2016, 08:43:47 PM »
If you want to get rid of ants in your yard, apply dried molasses.  We throw it
around at least once a year.  Dried Molasses is great for your yard and gardent.
However many applications, it works.  I haven't
had an ant in my yard in years.

Carol

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2016, 08:36:29 AM »
If you want to get rid of ants in your yard, apply dried molasses.  We throw it
around at least once a year.  Dried Molasses is great for your yard and gardent.
However many applications, it works.  I haven't
had an ant in my yard in years.

Carol
How does it work, and where do you get it?
John

carolstropicals

• USA, Texas, Houston, 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2016, 06:48:01 PM »
I can't say  how dried molasses works, but it does. 
I have been reading how sugar will kill insects - maybe that is why it works.  We buy the 40-50 lb bag.
I know of 2 places in Houston,
Southwest Fertilizer and Quality Feed and Garden on N. Main.  I am sure there are more, but these are the 2
I know.  I would try a feed store. 
I was taught this in a class.  It is also wonderful for our gardens and yard.  Just don't use the liquid molasses
as it will ruin your sprayer.

Carol

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk