Author Topic: Ultrasonic Pest Repellers  (Read 1092 times)

JeffDM

• USA, San Diego, Ca. 92129. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Ultrasonic Pest Repellers
« on: January 05, 2019, 07:35:40 PM »
Out of desperation, I bought an ultrasonic pest repeller at Amazon (only $35) and I'm now trying to see if it will help with my two biggest problems, ground squirrels and rats.  I know these things have had spotty reviews in the past, but this one seemed to have some favorable ones that gave me hope that it might work.
Has anyone else had luck with these things?
I'm not talking about the little ones that plug into an inside outlet and chase away mice and spiders.  This one supposedly will deter larger critters like raccoons, squirrels, deer, etc.

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
Re: Ultrasonic Pest Repellers
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 03:25:26 AM »
The former Chair of our local CRFG chapter wrote this.

I can attest that they are useless. What isn't useless are traps. Traps are only as effective as the mind behind them, as most need at least some modification/ technique to be/remain effective, so I highly recommend studying up on the techniques mentioned in the link above.

I personally have found the Squirrelinator to be very effective when modified/ used skillfully. The basic problem with it is that the springs that come with it to hold the top shut are too weak, and need to be replaced by wire. The technique is to keep it in a place that isn't immediately visible, so that they don't learn when their friends get caught, and to empty it soon after they enter. I bait it upside down for a few days to get them used to it, then I will flip it and catch them and afterward change locations. Failure to meet any of these points seems to only make them smarter at avoiding capture.

The holes on this trap are too large for rats, and rats will eat all the bait at times. I have heard they also make a Rat version with smaller holes. I have had great success with electric rat traps, and have heard great things about the old-school spring type ones when attached firmly to planks set against fruit trees.

Good luck, and invest in some legitimate solutions.

Doug

• Turrialba Costa Rica
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2019, 11:50:30 AM »

I bought large, pricey garden sonic repellers when I lived in NC. The damn things seemed to attract more pests. LOL I guess you've tried large rubber snakes and plastic owls. I use both, and they work really well here . . . especially the solar powered owls that have motion detectors which cause them to flash their eyes and screech. The downside is that they scare the hell out of my neighbors' dogs, too.

kh0110

• USA, Cerritos, CA 90703, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2019, 10:00:31 PM »
. . . especially the solar powered owls that have motion detectors which cause them to flash their eyes and screech. The downside is that they scare the hell out of my neighbors' dogs, too.

These "owls" work well for me in discouraging possums from coming to protected areas but they need direct sun light to charge properly.
Thera