Author Topic: symptoms of lack of sun exposure  (Read 1860 times)

Zafra

• tropical, around 2700ft elevation
    • View Profile
    • Casa Abya Yala
symptoms of lack of sun exposure
« on: October 15, 2018, 08:18:32 PM »
Hi citrus folk!
What symptoms could one expect to see in citrus that isn't getting enough sun? Both tree and fruit. Specifically orange and lime. Thanks!

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Re: symptoms of lack of sun exposure
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2018, 10:25:05 PM »
Tree vigor low, leaves growing in a downward hanging position
Full color development of fruit can be delayed as much as 45 days after the fruit reaches legal maturity
Smaller size fruit
Smaller harvest
Reduced foliage growth
reduced root growth

Laaz

• Charleston, SC 9a
    • View Profile
    • Citrusgrowers forum
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2018, 10:33:35 PM »
The tree will be sparse & look weak. The branches will stretch to find the most light...

Sven_chinotto

• Belgium, Brussels, Zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2018, 03:00:37 AM »
I guess that's inevitable without artificial lighting but a question: does this mean there is an inbalance in the tree? If so, what to do at this point?
Cheerios!

Sven

Sven_chinotto

• Belgium, Brussels, Zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2018, 04:00:29 AM »
Update: what to do in case you do not have any plugs available (like me) so extra lighting is not possible.
Cheerios!

Sven

Zafra

• tropical, around 2700ft elevation
    • View Profile
    • Casa Abya Yala
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2018, 08:21:45 AM »
So sounds like my lime tree which has yellow leaves, loss of leaves, and sparse production is probably suffering from something else (or an additional problem). But my navel tree which is just a few meters away with the same lack of sun which has lush dark green foliage but very sparse production - that might be the lack of sun. True?

lebmung

• Romania, Bucharest,7b (inside city 8a)
    • View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2018, 03:34:13 PM »
If you show us a picture with the problem maybe we can help you.

So sounds like my lime tree which has yellow leaves, loss of leaves, and sparse production is probably suffering from something else (or an additional problem). But my navel tree which is just a few meters away with the same lack of sun which has lush dark green foliage but very sparse production - that might be the lack of sun. True?

laidbackdood

• Perth.Western Australia.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2018, 12:56:51 PM »
I have two large citrus trees in pots in my courtyard....one is an imperial mandarin and the other is a honey murcott mandarin.........i have heaps of other trees around the side of my house which get plenty of sun..........i have fed them all identically.,......the imperial gets some early morning sun  and the honey murcott gets some dappled light through the clear plastic roofing.............the honey murcott is one of my healthiest looking trees ...yet gets some of the least amount of light.....it was just covered in blooms.........all those blooms have now changed to little fruits .....the whole tree is covered in fruitlets and there is no sign of any fruit drop at all.........I do keep it on the dry side and its in a terracotta pot......
the ones down the side of the house have flowered and fruited but have had fruit drop.....dropped leaves and had some twig die back..........they also seem to take longer to dry out...even though they get sun and most are in terracotta.......temps are 20 to 26C here in spring....
               My trees in the ground that get heaps of sun....look healthy...have been fed properly but have shed a lot of the fruits and not many fruits are growing on any of them........my ones undercover a bit are doing better...even my feijoa is covered in blooms and receives only early morning sun......Go figure.

laidbackdood

• Perth.Western Australia.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2018, 01:01:43 PM »
Dont under estimate roots staying wet.......damage occurs after 24 hours of remaining saturated.......the roots are happy when they have air around them......then they are active and the top flourishes......Ive killed so many trees when wet roots get mad with you.......dont let multiple days in a row of rain pour down on your pots....they must dry out to some degree in between waterings for the roots to thrive....if they stay wet and then the top gets cooked by strong sunlight.......Your in the poo.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 03:14:11 PM by Millet »