Author Topic: Few happenings in the GH  (Read 5153 times)

TropicalFruitHunters

• USA, Columbus, OH, xxxxx Zone 5b
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
Few happenings in the GH
« on: April 07, 2013, 08:14:17 PM »
Damn few things happening.  Much less than I was hoping for this year.

First Imbe fruits.

More Imbe

Kohala longan

Hak Ip lychee.  First fruits.  One other panicle with a few more fruit on.

Gold Nugget jack.  Male blooms.  The emerging bloom turned out to be male.  It was very compacted causing me to misjudge the stem for a larger female.  Turned out to be a huge male.

Carolina Reaper peppers.  The latest super hot and supposedly will be crowned world's hottest.  A few already have pods ready to start turning color soon so we'll see.

Various tomato plants waiting for the garden.

NamWah bananas.  A smaller plant is putting out a very small bunch.  Will soon be digging out half of these to open up room for something else.  Great nanas though.

Fruit from a plant I put directly into the ground out in the GH.  Got really huge really fast.  Pruned back a few times.  Got maybe 6-8 fruit.  Got the seed from a Hawaiian fruit purchased at a local Asian market.  Very good and sweet without that musky flavor in some papaya.  My fruit turned out to have a very pronounced floral taste to them.  Sweet and fiberless...almost like butter.  The floral tones were a little odd.  I'm since cut the plant back to the ground.  Too damn big.

Fruitguy

• Zone 10b - Miami, FL
    • United States, Miami,Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Few happenings in the GH
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 11:00:48 PM »
Is the jak still flowering? Is there still hope for a female f :-\lower? Or are you sharpening up the ax?

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 04:26:13 AM »
Lychees, Imbe, Papayas, bananas in Ohio? Heck of a job Jay!
FloridaGreenMan

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 04:52:05 AM »
Wow Jay, the greenhouse is doing great!  Dont sharpen that axe yet, you are so close to getting jack fruits.

lycheeluva

• Brooklyn, NY
  • obsessed with fruit growing, especially lychees
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 05:44:47 PM »
wow- amazing pics Jay. those papaya actually look edible. and the longan tree is loaded. very nice indeed. my plants are doing crap. the Maha Chanok set maybe 20-30 little fruit, all fo which fell off. the mystery lychee set a similar number, only 3-4 of which have grown past cherry size, and i have a handful of citrus. very mediocre year this year. not sure why.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 06:32:09 PM »
Not bad tropical fruit production for a Buckeye. Thanks for the update.  I'm sending female jakfruit flower prayers your way.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

TropicalFruitHunters

• View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2013, 06:50:19 PM »
Thanks all.  Was hoping for blooms from several other plants but no joy there.  I might put the longan in the ground after the fruit is done.  Just way too many roots for the container.

I was doing some searching on camito here on the forum.  Did we ever get a consensus on what cultivars were best?  I have a small seedling that was generously donated a while back and I thought about grafting it.  Thanks

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2013, 11:09:38 PM »
Its really amazing for Ohio! My only question is, why imbe? Can anyone describe the taste of imbe?

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013, 07:51:05 AM »
Its really amazing for Ohio! My only question is, why imbe? Can anyone describe the taste of imbe?

Really good question.  The ones I have had have limited flesh and nothing spectacular on the flavor front.  The tree itself is the most interesting aspect of the growing experience.  The flavor of the ones I have had have ranged from pretty sour to some sweetness with sub acidity.  Again, nothing to write home about, but I am sure Jay didn't eat it before he started growing it.  I'll bet someone hyped it.  Maybe they have had better ones than I have had the opportunity to taste.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 11:40:42 AM by HMHausman »
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2013, 11:22:12 AM »
VERY Nice Jay...Congrats! Everything looks to be doing great.. enjoyed the pictures!

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2013, 11:38:20 AM »
Very nice looking plants there Jay and in Ohio!!! Wow. ? Your plants look pretty clean do you have any pest problems in your G.H. In my attached to house G.H. I've been fighting mealy bugs forever, been trying to remember to spray with insecticidal soap every 2-weeks which seems to help. The little bugger love my Dragon fruit always on new growth. Cool post thanks for sharing pic's.

TropicalFruitHunters

• View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2013, 11:59:18 AM »
Harry...was grabbing seeds of everything I could lay my hands on during my first trip to FL many years ago.  Several turned out to be Imbe.  Never tasted it but since it was a garncinia, it was a keeper for now.  I'll give the plant a second fruiting year before passing judgement on whether the plant stays or goes.

Scott...insects.  Yes.  Scale and mealybugs have been kept in check with Hort oil applications when necesary.  Thrips on the other hand are something I have to live with.  There is not a product out there that will knock these down...at least no product under $250/qt!!!  There are days when only torching the plants seem like an answer.

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2013, 01:14:20 PM »
How old is your Imbe? Do you just have the single one growing, nothing else to pollinate?

Thanks,

Mark

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2013, 02:14:01 PM »
Great job Jay! All your trees look very happy. I saw a cherimoya in your collection. Do you know the variety? Do you hand pollinate and how is your fruit production in the GH?

TropicalFruitHunters

• View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2013, 02:51:17 PM »
JF...seedling cherimoya.  5+ years old at least.  Actually had three varieties grafted onto the plant that lasted a few years but then just up and died back.  Have gotten a few fruit from the seedling portion and it tasted pretty good.  Too soon to give a firm judgement on this.  I did hand pollinate much like I did with the sugar apples.  So far I'm not too impressed with the number of blooms that are produced.  Jury is deliberating on giving it the ax.

Marklee...at least 6 years old.  I started with 5 plants and most of the males started blooming a couple of years ago.  Started to look like I had all males so I pitched two other plants and down to just 3 now.  Two are definitely male and one obviously has finally turned out to be a female.  I have a female grafted onto one of the males and several male and females grafted onto the female...before I knew it to truly be a female.  It is possible the female flowers got pollinated but I really don't think the males were quite ready at the time.  So it is quite possible that my female is a hermie!

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2013, 03:22:40 PM »
Jay - the pics look great!  For Ohio, it's actually quite an accomplishment!

Any mango action on the burners???

And as someone said, the papaya looks quite delish - maybe you need
to get some of those super dwarfish ones I've seen pictures of - the ones that
start fruiting much lower to the ground....

Oh, and did you get to stop all the leaks you used to have - boy I remember when
THAT was a sore subject..... >:(

Fang (gary)

TropicalFruitHunters

• View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2013, 04:11:16 PM »
Won't know if moisture is still an issue until something rots to pieces!!!  I'm not going to go looking for trouble any more!  I still have to remove the sliding door and frame to replace the wooden sill plate there.  It get getting put on a back burner last year.

I cut the huge nam doc mai back to a stump with a few large branches.  I started a grafting project last fall.  Only two varieties, I think, took.  I'm just waiting for my friendly donors to send me more scions.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2013, 04:18:49 PM »
Won't know if moisture is still an issue until something rots to pieces!!!  I'm not going to go looking for trouble any more!  I still have to remove the sliding door and frame to replace the wooden sill plate there.  It get getting put on a back burner last year.

I cut the huge nam doc mai back to a stump with a few large branches.  I started a grafting project last fall.  Only two varieties, I think, took.  I'm just waiting for my friendly donors to send me more scions.

Jay, you should prune it hard and graft Pierce, Booth and/or Honeyhart . These cherimoyas are self-pollinating and copious producers. I can send you budwood in August if you wish.