Author Topic: what should I know while growing kiwano?  (Read 1688 times)

ExoticJenny

• Poland
    • View Profile
what should I know while growing kiwano?
« on: October 12, 2018, 07:34:36 AM »
Hello everyone! I used to grow many exotic plants but a few days ago I came across the kiwano seeds. I didn't know anything about this fruit earlier, but as I started to read information I decided to grow it. I found one internet site that offers its seeds:
https://gardenseedsmarket.com/kiwano-horned-melon-seeds-cucumis-metuliferus.html but I am considering what is the chance that they will germinate? There are 13 seeds and I don't know if I should put half of them in one pot? Or more?
My second question for people who growed this plant is what soil should I use? There should a mix of different kinds or one special? Every advice is useful for me.
If you could also share your experience with taste of this friut it will be amazing! They look stunning so I hope they also taste like that.

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
Re: what should I know while growing kiwano?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2018, 08:50:24 AM »
Taste is bland and vines have thorns.

Lisa put some in her keyhole garden and it took over

Probably sell all you can grow however

catchthebear

• Illinois
    • View Profile
    • Matt's Peppers
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2018, 11:23:32 AM »
They have a mild, slimy, cucumber/melon taste That's about it. They just look cool.

I started mine this year in February and they have taken over a good portion of one of my gardens.  The vines are everywhere and the fruit is STILL not ripe.  It's likely going to freeze here for the first time tonight, so all in all it was just a pretty big waste of garden space and time! lol   :'(

There's this video from Weird Explorer, too.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CP2fB5K2Xq8

buddy roo

• Spring Valley, Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2018, 11:46:28 AM »
it is a cucumber not a melon treat it as one also do not let them get overripe eat them when they are green just like any other cucumber

Jct

• Zone 10b
    • San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2018, 11:56:59 AM »
I bought one as an experiment and germinated some seeds for kicks.  As the fruit wasn't that good, I didn't take care of the seedlings and they all died.  The germination rate was very high with the fresh seeds.
LaVerne Manila Mango; Pixie Crunch, Honeycrisp & Gala Apple Trees; Violette De Bordeaux & Black Mission Fig; Santa Rosa Plum & Snow Queen Nectarine; Nagami Kumquat, Pixie Tangerine, Lemon, Australian Finger Lime & Washington Navel Citrus; White & Red Dragon Fruit; Miracle Berry Plant

RodneyS

• Cerritos, CA (Zone 11a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2018, 12:05:28 PM »
Slimy, but not satisfying.  It's more of a curiosity fruit.  I'd suggest growing something more worthwhile, IMHO

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2018, 05:29:34 PM »
They're good juiced and used as a salad dressing. What i didn't like is how thorny the plant is. Has thorns all along the stems. Also it took over the garden. In tropics could be invasive weed. Big advantage is they are not stung by fruit flies, as are other cucumbers here.
For starting seeds use well drained slightly acid soil. Keep temperature and humidity high and well watered until seeds sprout. Very easy to grow given right conditions. If i grew them again i would use a trellis, rather than letting them sprawl on the ground. Too easy to step on sharp thorns.
Oscar

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2018, 06:15:19 PM »
These are native and well adapted to sub-saharan Africa. I found they enjoyed rather dry conditions on the leaves and were somewhat susceptible to fungus when the vines got thick. Fruits would set but rot away if kept too wet or  among thick leaves close to the ground. They would do better on either a trellis or running along dry ground. Taste was as described above not very good, really just a survival or novelty fruit.