Author Topic: Problems with Flying Dragon rootstock  (Read 3678 times)

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Problems with Flying Dragon rootstock
« on: April 25, 2014, 07:06:02 PM »

I wonder if the problems I have with elephant footing of flying dragon rootstock that is too vigorous for the scion has an environmental cause. It has happened every time with flying dragon for me and a couple of other people I know in my local area. Are other people experiencing the same thing as with the above mandarin and Tahitian lime? They may not be suited to a warm wet climate perhaps.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Re: Problems with Flying Dragon rootstock
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 10:32:03 PM »
That is common with Flying dragon.  I have 40+ citrus tree grafted on FD.  Plus I have a very large Cara Cara Navel orange tree and a Large Marisol Clementine grafted on FD, which begun showing benching at a young age between the scion and the Flying Dragon rootstock.  It has  never been any concern at all.  Good compatibility when grafted upon Flying Dragon has been reported with oranges and grapefruit.  I have heard  that some incompatibility could possibility show up on mandarins grafted on FD in 2 or 3 decades years, but how true this is I really don't know. Eureka Lemon is NOT compatible with Trifoliate Orange root stocks. - Millet

buddinman

• USA,TEXAS. Lumberton, 8, 77657
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 09:15:15 AM »
I have 2 satsuma trees in my back yard that are 29 years old and do not have any benching (elephant footing). Had a third one, Armstrong Early,  that was dug up and replaced with Miyagawa. Miyagawa is much better quality fruit.

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 12:38:23 AM »

Is the problem just cosmetic or does it affect the health of the tree/fruit production? I quite like the way those roots look, aesthetically.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2014, 09:51:30 AM »
Benching has never bothered any of my trees that are grafted on Flying Dragon. - MIllet

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2014, 05:27:28 PM »
Come to think of it I haven't seen fruit quality problems from benching and I don't know if life expency is reduced.Some benched trees are amazing with 15 inch diamater rootstock supporting 4/5 inch scion that looks like it will snap off at any time.

Hershell

• U.S. Ga. Ray City zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2014, 09:50:37 PM »
If the fd stock in not causing a problem is it that the scion is causing it to grow much faster than it normally would. I have never saw a fd tree with a large trunk. I have several trees with benching but no obvious problems.