Author Topic: A New Maha Chanok Convert  (Read 23376 times)

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
Re: A New Maha Chanok Convert
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2015, 07:20:40 PM »
I didn't but Hurricane Wilma did.

I see!  so if it weren't for mother nature, and her little helper Wilma, how tall do you estimate your trees would have been ? (the tallest one?)

Not sure how I would determine that estimation.  I can say that three of my trees never suffered damage as two of them were not in the ground when the storm hit.  The other tree that was in the ground has always been a bit stunted.  I think it stayed in a pot a little longer than the other original tree I received from Thailand and sort of bonsai'ed itself to some degree.  The tree is probably only about 12 feet tall without pruning and without loss of height in  Wilma.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2015, 07:28:52 PM »
ya i guess it is a stupid question...
i should just ask how many feet per year you get in growth

(also curious to know the girth of the trunk after 20 yrs? thicker than an average humans thigh?)

(have also heard if you get a root bound stunted mango tree, it will always be stunted if it gets a bad start)

I see!  so if it weren't for mother nature, and her little helper Wilma, how tall do you estimate your trees would have been ? (the tallest one?)

Not sure how I would determine that estimation.  I can say that three of my trees never suffered damage as two of them were not in the ground when the storm hit.  The other tree that was in the ground has always been a bit stunted.  I think it stayed in a pot a little longer than the other original tree I received from Thailand and sort of bonsai'ed itself to some degree.  The tree is probably only about 12 feet tall without pruning and without loss of height in  Wilma.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2015, 07:52:22 PM »
ya i guess it is a stupid question...
i should just ask how many feet per year you get in growth

(also curious to know the girth of the trunk after 20 yrs? thicker than an average humans thigh?)

(have also heard if you get a root bound stunted mango tree, it will always be stunted if it gets a bad start)

I'll take some pictures and post them later.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2015, 08:03:36 PM »
thanks Harry.

I got a tree for my parents from Excalibur last year...they refused to plant it or step it up...

it's still in a 3 gal pot...about 6 ft tall now...

I'm going to force them to plant it soon.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

jc

• Treasure Coast, Florida, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2015, 08:22:05 PM »
Correction 36 fruits. Planted as a very small 3 gal in Fall 2012. About 8' tall now. Grows very well, 4-6 flushes per year.

The bags and .177 cal pellets help keep the rodents from the fruit. The bags also catch the fruit if I don't pick it before it drops.

Last year  was my first harvest/taste and I thought it was missing something. The aroma was amazing but it never carried through in the taste. I'm hoping this year's crop, 40+ fruit, will have that full flavor.  I have an Excalibur tree.

Wow.. 40+ fruit your second fruit year?!?!?!  Great.  Can you post pictures of your tree?

JC

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2015, 01:37:36 PM »

Brett, good luck keeping that fruit...I think you will like it! Please let us know.

Very Nice Maha tree JC!! Only 5 fruits this year, purchased mine in January 2013, but didn't plant it till last August. Hoping to get more next year  :)

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2015, 06:40:24 PM »
Just gobbled another harry Chanok mango from my tree today. Dang that's a great mango. Reminds me a lot of Sweet Tart with a slightly different texture and not quite as strong a flavor.
Jeff  :-)

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2015, 07:49:03 PM »
So no one knows where one can try a taste of these in SFL (preferably extreme SFL)?

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2015, 09:05:24 PM »
A harry Chanok is best enjoyed in west broward!

I did a recount and my tree actually produced 25, not 15.  I still have 22 on the tree.  The only 2 year old tree on my property that beat that number was the sweet tart at 35+.

This is one of the few mango varieties that I will eat the flesh from the seed.  A lot of the seed is paper (ok, maybe cardboard) thin.
Brandon

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2015, 09:21:27 PM »
wow u guys are counting fruits!?

it's funny I guess I'm superstitious, but I believe it's bad luck!

I always end up with a lower number of fruit by the time they are ready to be harvested.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2015, 04:53:37 AM »
Coca cola?! Now I done heard it all!!  What flavor can mangoes not impersonate seems to be the better question

Does it fizz like a Coca Cola? I think eating too mant sweet fruits makes people have taste bud hallucinations?  ;) Maybe Harry can confirm it takes like Coca Cola? Or maybe he will disagree and think it's more like a Pepsi?  ;D
Oscar

BrettBorders

• tropical fruit is a taste of paradise
    • Lake Worth, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2015, 06:58:47 AM »
Coca cola?! Now I done heard it all!!  What flavor can mangoes not impersonate seems to be the better question

Does it fizz like a Coca Cola? I think eating too mant sweet fruits makes people have taste bud hallucinations?  ;)

A number of mangoes contain a taste element that, to me, uncannily resemble Cocoa Cola syrup. This taste is sometimes concentrated close to the rind. Zinc / Sweet Tart and Simmonds come to mind. And no, it doesn't fizz or taste "spicy" like the carbonated beverage, it tastes kind flat and subdued, like the syrup. Cookie Monster pointed it out,  but I completely share his perception. I consider it one of the most delicious  & desirable mango subflavors... up there with Pina Colada / coconut creamy.

If I can taste the cola syrup in my Maha fruits, I will be ecstatic!  ;D

BrettBorders

• Lake Worth, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2015, 06:59:42 AM »
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 07:01:31 AM by BrettBorders »

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2015, 09:50:23 AM »

Does it fizz like a Coca Cola? I think eating too mant sweet fruits makes people have taste bud hallucinations?  ;) Maybe Harry can confirm it takes like Coca Cola? Or maybe he will disagree and think it's more like a Pepsi?  ;D

Well.......there is an obvious sweet component to the Maha flavor.  I am not a big fan of Coke syrup or Pepsi.  I am one of those weirdos that got used to drinking diet sodas for weight control issues as  a kid and to me I prefer the taste of Diet Coke to regular Coke.  So I am probably going to be drummed out of the tasting descriptive committee/clique at the next general meeting of the Mango Snobs United. 

I can see where someone would describe the flavor as having a syrupy sweetness.  But this is only a part of the flavor profile.  I don't think we should get hung up on whether one person tastes coke syrup or another tastes something else. The fact is that a perfectly ripened Maha has a flavor profile that I have not found anyone at any of my tastings that didn't put the sample of fruit in their mouth and nod their head, open their eyes wide, point to the rest of the mango on the tasting plate and say.......one of the following things...... "what mango is that (in approval)" or "that's really, really good".....or "that was the best one so far"......or words to that end. Well, maybe with one notable exception. Anyone care to guess who might have been the sole unimpressed individual?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 08:53:15 PM by HMHausman »
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2015, 09:58:20 AM »

Well.......there is an obvious sweet component to the Maha flavor.  I am not a big fan of Coke syrup or Pepsi.  I am one of those weirdos that got used to drinking diet sodas for weight control issues as  a kid and to me I prefer the taste of Diet Coke to regular Coke.  So I am probably going to be drummed out of the tasting descriptive committee/click at the next general meeting of the Mango Snobs United. 

I can see where someone would describe the flavor as having a syrupy sweetness.  But this is only a part of the flavor profile.  I don't think we should get hung up on whether one person tastes coke syrup or another tastes something else. The fact is that a perfectly ripened Maha has a flavor profile that I have not found anyone at any of my tastings that didn't put the sample of fruit in their mouth and nod their head, open their eyes wide, point to the rest of the mango on the tasting plate and say.......one of the following things...... "what mango is that (in approval)" or "that's really, really good".....or "that was the best one so far"......or words to that end. Well, maybe with one notable exception. Anyone care to guess who might have been the sole unimpressed individual?

ROFL  ;D ;D ;D
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

fisherking73

• Hollywood (Broward county), Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2015, 10:02:42 AM »
Hmmmmmmmm............... thats BS to put that question out there and not give us an answer   8)

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2015, 10:37:04 AM »

Well.......there is an obvious sweet component to the Maha flavor.  I am not a big fan of Coke syrup or Pepsi.  I am one of those weirdos that got used to drinking diet sodas for weight control issues as  a kid and to me I prefer the taste of Diet Coke to regular Coke.  So I am probably going to be drummed out of the tasting descriptive committee/click at the next general meeting of the Mango Snobs United. 

oooo ooooo, me me...Sheeeeeeeeeeehan   hahahahahahahaahahaha
- Rob

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2015, 06:08:17 PM »

oooo ooooo, me me...Sheeeeeeeeeeehan   hahahahahahahaahahaha

What? Rob, you don't like soda pop? Obviously not, because you're not crazy over a mango that tastes like Coca Cola syrup!  ;) Now i'm also wondering how people even know what Coca Cola syrup tastes like? Who goes around tasting Coca Cola syrup?  :o
Oscar

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2015, 08:44:50 PM »
Oscar - my response was to Harry where he said there is one individual who doesn't like the Mahachanok....and that would be Sheehan.

As for the cola syrup taste, no idea what these people are referring to.   I have eaten plenty of Mahachanok and never tasted anything that would rresemble what i would perceive as a cola syrup taste.  Now i will be honest, i dont scrape the skin with my teeth but still...
- Rob

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2015, 08:48:14 PM »
Oscar - my response was to Harry where he said there is one individual who doesn't like the Mahachanok....and that would be Sheehan.

As for the cola syrup taste, no idea what these people are referring to.   I have eaten plenty of Mahachanok and never tasted anything that would rresemble what i would perceive as a cola syrup taste.  Now i will be honest, i dont scrape the skin with my teeth but still...

never had a maha that had even a hint of anything that even remotely resembled cola syrup.

BrettBorders

• Lake Worth, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 10, 2015, 08:53:35 PM »
Oscar,

I worked at a movie theater concession stand in high school...  Where I was in charge of maintaining a half dozen Coke fountains and keeping them loaded with cartons of syrup.... tasting them to make sure the mix with carbonated was proportionate to the amount of syrup. I tasted a lot of cola syrup!

I was also professionally trained in dispensing artificially flavored buttery liquid onto popcorn. Some customers requested scandalous amounts... One lady wanted so much it probably filled the bottom1" of the tub...

If Zills ever releases a Movie Theater Butter mango ;) ... It would be perfect to enjoy alongside a nice cola flavored mango... Which are amongst my favorite

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2015, 09:14:39 PM »

OK, so you are crazy over the Maha Chanok? Maha means great, so it has to be great!  ;)
Oscar

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2015, 09:47:29 PM »
It's an okay mango at best. Very mild. Needs more spicy/turpentine flavor.

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2015, 09:59:55 PM »
Coca Cola syrup?= Corn Fructose ? Interesting  ;D..

Im glad the Maha Received Great Reviews Got 2 of those bad boys ! 8)
Zone 10

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #49 on: June 10, 2015, 11:46:04 PM »
Was it ever decided if there are different types of Maha Chanok floating around? I got a tree from TT and am wondering if i'm going to have the same or different fruit than Harry has?
Oscar