Author Topic: American persimmon  (Read 1890 times)

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
American persimmon
« on: May 22, 2019, 05:06:34 PM »
I have 3 seedlings of american persimmon,Diospyros Virginiana ,and a friend insisted soo much to graft japanese persimmon,D.Kaki on them ,because he said that i will be verry dissapointed by the american ones.Il not graft them until they fruit ( the females) and if the fruit is good il keep them.Lately ive ate somme really tasteless asian persimmons both astringent and non astringent and i hope that the american persimmons have more flavor.Is it worth to grow american persimmons over asian ones?

Pokeweed

• Houston TX
    • View Profile
Re: American persimmon
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2019, 08:24:35 AM »
The Virginia persimmons I've had were much more intense than the fuyus I've had. Almost syrupy.
D

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2019, 09:04:19 AM »
To me, Asian persimmons have almost no flavor, just sweet. I also don’t like the sometimes firm texture.
American persimmons are also very sweet but are very richly-flavored. Almost like pumpkin pie (cinnamon, nutmeg, clove). A wonderful treat.
I’m speaking here of wild fruit. So with these of course the downside is usually small seedy fruits. But the flavor and soft texture is still amazing to me.

Empoweredandfree

• FL zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2019, 09:33:10 PM »
The few Japanese Persimmons I had were extremely disappointing...bland, tasteless, or the astringent cultivars are just straight....I’m considering planting the American Persimmons!

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2019, 09:34:07 AM »
I was told by an experienced member here that asian persimmons can be pollination variant wich means the fruits are astringent if seedless or non astringent if they have seeds( these also become brown inside if they have seeds and they are tastier).One asian persimmon thats pollination variant cultivar its Chocolate  ( asian persimmon,not to be confused with the chocolate pudding sapote wich is a different specie of diospyros).American persimmons are all pollination constant .

shiro

• France La Rochelle
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2019, 05:57:45 PM »
The Kaki, also called persimmon is a tree native to Asia (China, Japan,...) up to 6 m high. It is very rustic since it can withstand extreme temperatures from-15 to-20 °c.

We distinguish several groups of Kakis.
they exist 3 kind of Asian persimmons.

1) Astringents asian persimmons often compatible with Lotus and virginiana while others may have compatibility problems with Lotus.
PCA (pollination constant astringent): the fruits are astringent i.e. they must be consumed some time after harvesting when they become overripe (soft)

2) Non-astringent Asian persimmons often incompatible with Lotus but compatible with virginiana.
-PCNA (constant pollination non-astringent): non-astringents are consumable directly after harvesting. These varieties are often called "Apple kaki" given their firmness.

3) 1 group whose fruit consumption depends on pollination: PVNA (pollen variant non-astringent), these fruits contain a large number of seeds that following fertilization will be astringent or non-astringent.

At us it is often the Lotus that is chosen as rootstock because it does not make root sprouts.
However, virginiana is more tolerant of the various climatic conditions.

So after this is a matter of taste.
But there is always the possibility to graft some branches with Asian persimmons and keep the rest in virginiana.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 06:00:03 PM by shiro »

Empoweredandfree

• FL zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2019, 10:36:27 PM »
The magic fountain weeping persimmon has an awesome look and very compact and upright growth habit. I’m def going to plant even if it’s strictly ornamental.

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2019, 03:43:22 PM »
To me, Asian persimmons have almost no flavor, just sweet. I also don’t like the sometimes firm texture.

I will say, there's an orchard in California that sells dried fuyu persimmons that are really, really good. Not boldly flavored but still really fun.
I buy them whenever I can at TJMaxx, the only place i've seen them here in the southeast.

Bella Viva Orchards.

Just dried persimmon slices, nothing added. Mmmmmmmm  (but not as flavorful as american persimmons off the tree!!)

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2019, 07:33:43 PM »
I ate once an asian persimmon that tasted like avocado but verry sweet.That was good but i dont know the name of the cultivar or if it would be suitable for zone 6.Here is one of my american persimmon seedlings .I never ate american persimmons or seen them fruiting tough but il try growing them.