Author Topic: The Durian Dude in Jitra, Malaysia  (Read 2783 times)

red durian

• Malaysia, Sabah, Tawau
    • View Profile
The Durian Dude in Jitra, Malaysia
« on: November 25, 2012, 08:55:38 AM »
I have a 7 yr old article written about a durio collector in West Malaysia (pasted below).  I am thinking of doing the long trip up to his farm on my next stopover in a few weeks.  Has anyone been to this place?  Also, has anyone ever heard of a purple durio before?

Channel NewsAsia 14 Dec 05
Malaysian farmer cultivates colourful durians
By ASEAN News Exchange

JITRA : In many parts of Southeast Asia, the durian is known as the king of the fruits.

In Malaysia, one farmer has spent 20 years experimenting on durians and he has cultivated purple, red and orange durians.

His two-hectare fruit orchard in Jitra, a town in the Malaysian state of Kedah, sees scores of visitors dropping by each day. They are all there to admire the durians grown by Mr Mohd Sofi Ibrahim, a former school teacher turned fruit farmer.

For the past 20 years, he has travelled to the jungles all over East and West Malaysia, as well as Brunei and Indonesia, to gather different types of durians to add to his collection.

Today, his orchard is home to 150 durian trees and boasts 72 varieties.

His favourites are the wild durians, which surprisingly smell more like jackfruits. Mr Mohd Sofi said: "The wild durian is different from the others. Its size is smaller than the normal durians and does not have the distinctive smell of the fruit."

Not only that, Mr Mohd Sofi also managed to cultivate durians of various shades. Apart from the usual rich cream colours, his fruits come in hues of purple, red and orange!

Although he has received many calls to produce his durians for commercial trade, Mr Mohd Sofi has steadfastly refused to do so. Instead, he prefers to donate his durian fruits to orphanages around Kedah and other nearby Malaysian states. - CNA/de

tropical66

• Seri Kembangan, Selangor, Malaysia
    • View Profile
Re: The Durian Dude in Jitra, Malaysia
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 09:34:59 AM »

Hi Red Durian,

Maybe it is Durio Garveolens.

http://durianon.tripod.com/
There is nothing more beautiful than PEACE - Unite All Mankind.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 09:44:12 AM »
Hi Red Durio,

This was the article i was talking about a few months ago...But, I couldn't find the article. If I do remember well...he also done an auction to sell the durians to the highest bidder, to help his causes. This article also had some pics too. 8)
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 09:46:44 AM by Jackfruitwhisperer69 »
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 09:56:37 AM »

Hi Red Durian,

Maybe it is Durio Garveolens.

http://durianon.tripod.com/

Hi Tropical66,
This is it 8) Thanks for finding the article...But, there is no mention of the auction :-\ There should be another article or i mixed it up ???

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2005/5/18/nation/10980825&sec=nation
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

red durian

• Malaysia, Sabah, Tawau
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 10:12:19 AM »

[/quote]

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2005/5/18/nation/10980825&sec=nation
[/quote]

Sounds like he went to Tenom once and got a red D. graveolens and now calls it "Tenom"  Having lived in Tenom for 18 months and having bought D. graveolens from every seller at the market, I can say that there is a lot of diversity in Tenom's D. graveolens.  The variation is mostly in the amount of flesh and since only one seller, one time had a really fleshy D. graveolens, I assume everyone is selling fruits from seedlings.  The tree with the abundant flesh had lots of aborted seeds.  The worst D. graveolens can have almost paper thin flesh.  This year I am only planting from the thick fleshed tree's fruits.

Gouralata

• fruit trees for warm and wet tropical climate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2012, 10:26:25 AM »
Durio purpureus: very rare one tree in the Crocker Range. Small purple fruit with yellow aril... (Fruits, nuts and spice-Department of agriculture of Sabah)

red durian

• Malaysia, Sabah, Tawau
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2012, 06:13:35 PM »
Durio purpureus: very rare one tree in the Crocker Range. Small purple fruit with yellow aril... (Fruits, nuts and spice-Department of agriculture of Sabah)

Not on the lists of edible Borneo durios I have seen, but intriguing. I can't find anything about it on the www, other than that it exists and is from Borneo.  Thanks for the information.  I wonder if the Durian Dude has this one, or if the slightly purplish fleshed D. graveolens in the photo of the article above is the purple durian.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk