Author Topic: Right Choice? Cogshall  (Read 3124 times)

FIUPanther

• Pembroke Pines, FL
    • View Profile
Right Choice? Cogshall
« on: December 31, 2018, 03:33:12 PM »
Hi, this is my first post here after doing some lurking.

I purchased a Cogshall mango tree at the Fairchild Mango Festival this year, I picked this variety due to the description on their website and handout. Now, after reading on this website it seems like Cogshall is not one of the favored varieties here and it has me worried. Mainly due to the jelly-seed issue I keep reading about. I'm not a mango connoisseur and have always just ate what I could find during the mango season. I'm only looking for a good tasting mango and a tree that won't be hard to manage on my small property, I figured Cogshall would be a good fit. I really only have space for one tree in the yard and I guess I just need some reassurance that I made the right choice.

To piggyback on this, I have some space next to two Royal Palms I'd love to cut down and eventually plant another mango tree. I'm currently considering planting a banana tree. Does anyone have a recommendation for a great tasting banana that won't be hard to manage? Is it true that banana trees attract rats? Is there a nursery that you guys recommend near West Pines?

Lastly, I may be able to finagle a tree in front of the house. Is there a tree that is recommended where the mangos won't easily give themselves away to sticky fingers walking by on the sidewalk?

FIUPanther

• Pembroke Pines, FL
    • View Profile
Re: Right Choice? Cogshall
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2018, 03:41:11 PM »

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2018, 05:04:48 PM »
What are the sizes youd like to keep your trees at?
That way we can help you narrow down recommendations

Cogshall is decent, certainly better than the store or random seedlings. It's also easy to pick, produces well enough and is pretty easy to care for. Certainly not the best in terms of taste.
I have one that I intended to top work when my other trees start to produce consistently.

Of the smaller type trees, if flavor was my main concern id go with Pina colada.

As for the front yard, it really depends on your locals.
Everyone knows mangoes but not necessarily mamey or longan. But those will be more attractive to the people who know them.
Just don't plant lychee in front.
I'd go with a mango that has a wide margin in which you can pick it. Like NDM or the other SE Asian.
Avocado might do as well.

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2018, 05:37:06 PM »
Hi, this is my first post here after doing some lurking.

I purchased a Cogshall mango tree at the Fairchild Mango Festival this year, I picked this variety due to the description on their website and handout. Now, after reading on this website it seems like Cogshall is not one of the favored varieties here and it has me worried. Mainly due to the jelly-seed issue I keep reading about. I'm not a mango connoisseur and have always just ate what I could find during the mango season. I'm only looking for a good tasting mango and a tree that won't be hard to manage on my small property, I figured Cogshall would be a good fit. I really only have space for one tree in the yard and I guess I just need some reassurance that I made the right choice.

To piggyback on this, I have some space next to two Royal Palms I'd love to cut down and eventually plant another mango tree. I'm currently considering planting a banana tree. Does anyone have a recommendation for a great tasting banana that won't be hard to manage? Is it true that banana trees attract rats? Is there a nursery that you guys recommend near West Pines?

Lastly, I may be able to finagle a tree in front of the house. Is there a tree that is recommended where the mangos won't easily give themselves away to sticky fingers walking by on the sidewalk?

I agree with Sayyid that Cogshall is a decent mango, but I would plant a Honey Kiss if I only have space for one mango tree. It is much more productive, stays small and is also a late season variety (you will have mangoes in August/September).  Pickering is another variety that stays small and is productive, but it is a mid-season variety. I prefer HK to it.

FIUPanther

• Pembroke Pines, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2018, 06:18:32 PM »
So pulling the tree up and replacing it should be considered.

Dang, not what I was hoping. This going to be a hard decision to make. It's kind of heart breaking to pull out a perfectly good tree.

So Honey Kiss or Pina Colada should be considered? Any other varieties if you could only have one tree? Is there a nursery that I should visit to pick up a plant and if so what size container should I be looking for?

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2018, 06:33:11 PM »
Pickering if a great all around mango and mid season.
I completely forgot about honey kiss that Arun mentioned.
That's also a good one.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2018, 08:30:00 PM »
Are you saying you want to plant a mango tree by the street that won't have its fruit stolen?  Maybe one that ripens green and unattractive?  Or do you want to plant another fruit that isn't likely to be stolen?
John

PurpleAlligator

• USA, Miami, FL, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2019, 02:30:53 AM »
I have a Cogshall from Fairchild also. Planted 4 years ago. It’s growth pattern is very bushy and compact with little pruning. I haven’t had a problem with jelly seed. It’s productive and the fruit is good colorful and fiberless.

Since you’ve already planted it I would let it grow and fruit then you can decide. You may end up being happy with it. Otherwise you lose a full year starting over.

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2019, 04:47:59 AM »
Many of the newer zill varieties are unattractive and green when ripe like peach cobbler or sugarloaf.

There's no reason to rip out a perfectly good tree if you don't mind taking up a knife to play Dr. Frankenstien with your tree, just graft varieties you want on to it.

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2019, 05:54:49 AM »
My children (the freaks that they are) don't like our lemon zest (too sweet) but they go nuts over our Glenn mango. Point being that everyone has their own personal opinions and tastes, so you might feel Cogshall is the greatest mango in the world and absolutely hate Pina Colada, or vice versa. Your best bet would be to wait until summer, try a ton of different varieties, and make up your mind at that point. Many of us went the route of Fairchild or Pine Island Nursery recommendations sight unseen (myself included) and ended up removing trees later upon the realization that we didn't like what was planted (I'm looking at you, Carrie mango). My yard would have a somewhat different selection today if I had the benefit of this forum before planting out 50 trees.

As to front yard, I agree with skhan as to the locals. If you're on a quiet street with good neighbors, you're probably good with anything. If not, anything that remotely looks like a fruit is going to be looted. Doesn't really matter if it's a green mango or other odd fruit - they'll pick it in the middle of the night or weeks before it ripens. That said, I have both a sapodilla and a Cogshall mango in my front yard, but also have security cameras, two hungry great danes, and an arsenal sufficient to overthrow a Central American nation, so there's that.

Finally, if you're in West Pines, Bender's Grove is right around the corner from you (Weston/Davie border). Mike is a member here and sells both fruit and trees.

FIUPanther

• Pembroke Pines, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2019, 10:52:45 AM »
Thank you all for the replies, I will stick with the Cogshall in the back and hope it ends up being a mango we enjoy! If it was planted this July (2018), what is the realistic time frame we will be able to taste its fruit?

I'll keep kicking around the idea of having another mango tree in the front. Although the neighborhood seems quite and full of older neighbors we may not want the attention a fruiting mango tree out front may bring.

Again, thanks for the replies.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2019, 12:29:47 PM »
The mango variety called Fairchild. You plant that tree out in the front yard and no one will steal any. The mangoes are small and green until one day they they turn yellow to yellowish and are ripe and delicious. Just saying that Fairchild are very good stealth mangoes.  You can probably get away with a Nam Doc Mai mango  tree in your front.  Or a Pina Colada

Also...there is a big difference between planting a nice mango tree in front yard....between the tree living 30 ft from the street and 10 ft from the street.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 12:33:04 PM by zands »

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2019, 03:42:03 PM »
Thank you all for the replies, I will stick with the Cogshall in the back and hope it ends up being a mango we enjoy! If it was planted this July (2018), what is the realistic time frame we will be able to taste its fruit?

I'll keep kicking around the idea of having another mango tree in the front. Although the neighborhood seems quite and full of older neighbors we may not want the attention a fruiting mango tree out front may bring.

Again, thanks for the replies.

I think you can expect to get a few fruits in 2020 and more in the following years. Make sure you fertilize from March to October with 8-3-9 fertilizer.

FIUPanther

• Pembroke Pines, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2019, 07:10:53 PM »
I think you can expect to get a few fruits in 2020 and more in the following years. Make sure you fertilize from March to October with 8-3-9 fertilizer.

Thank you, is there a nursery or big box store you recommend I buy this from? It looks like HD/Lowes do not carry this.

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2019, 07:21:17 PM »

You can get a 50 lb bag of 8-3-9 from Excalibur nursery for $20. Universal Supplies in Pompano Beach also carries it.

paulmctigue

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2019, 08:00:45 PM »
So pulling the tree up and replacing it should be considered.

Dang, not what I was hoping. This going to be a hard decision to make. It's kind of heart breaking to pull out a perfectly good tree.

So Honey Kiss or Pina Colada should be considered? Any other varieties if you could only have one tree? Is there a nursery that I should visit to pick up a plant and if so what size container should I be looking for?

Top work the tree, It's fun and rewarding!

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2019, 01:07:26 AM »
I assume by topworking you are not suggesting he replace the entire canopy (making a different tree) just that he add another small variety creating a small multi-variety tree with 2 perhaps 3 varieties?

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2019, 10:13:21 AM »
My honey kiss fruited early with more fruit than i expected

I gifted my Pickering and it’s doing well but had to make room for tastes I like better.  Cotton Candy in its place

Pina Colada is not as productive as HK but wins the flavor competition

Try to taste some mangoes this year and choose what is best to you

paulmctigue

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2019, 08:27:00 AM »
I assume by topworking you are not suggesting he replace the entire canopy (making a different tree) just that he add another small variety creating a small multi-variety tree with 2 perhaps 3 varieties?
Can either make a " cocktail tree " with several varieties or just one, either way. That way you don't have to dig it up and start over with establishing roots and so forth

FIUPanther

• Pembroke Pines, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2021, 02:12:48 PM »
Hello everyone, an update on my little Cogshall I planted back in 2018. This is the first year it's fruited, it seems like a decent crop for the first year from what little I know. I've tied up some of the branches to keep the mangos off the ground.

My question is, when are Cogshalls ready to pick?

On a side note, I've also purchased a Carrie and Honey Kiss Mango tree. I plant to to try and keep all these trees about 6' high and with a canopy diameter of about 6' through aggressive pruning and cutting off of hard wood as per videos I've seen by Richard Campbell.

I planted a Sapodilla v. Alano, Loquat v. Champagne, Carambola v. Fwang Tung, and a Barbados Cherry tree too. These are also all trees I plan to keep about 6' tall due to a lack of space.