Author Topic: Mini Mango Seed  (Read 4662 times)

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
Mini Mango Seed
« on: February 27, 2012, 10:29:47 PM »
I bought a mango from the local grocery store and as always I just had to open up the seed. Upon opening I found a undeveloped or miniature seed. I have seen this before and usually just throw them away but this time I decided to germinate the seed. I am wondering if maybe from this stunted seed that maybe it will sprout a stunted tree which would be good to graft onto. Below you can see just how small the seed was when in comparison to the PLU# sticker!

_JoeP450

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Mini Mango Seed
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 02:05:32 AM »
Hi Joe, seems like an aborted seed. Even if it sprouted you wouldn't want to use a stunted rootstock to graft onto. You want to use as vigorous of a rootstock as possible. So bigger seeds are usually better.
Oscar
Oscar

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 07:13:39 AM »
I see these quite frequently in certain mango cultivars.  I have planted them out and they either don't germinate or they produce small, unhealthy plants that haven't been of sufficient vigor to use for root stock.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Pancrazio

• Off Tropic
  • Florence, Italy, USDA 8
    • Growing fruits in Florence, and Pratovecchio, Italy
    • View Profile
    • FruttAma.it
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 04:05:54 PM »
This is interesting. In the 2 fruits i grew here i found two of those "aborted" seeds. I assumed that they were unable to sprout, and trow them away. I also assumed that they were generated from low night temperatures, but apparently they aren't related to that?
I wonder if they influence the growt of the fruit someohow.
Italian fruit forum

I want to buy/trade central asia apricots. Contact me in PM if interested.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 06:52:11 PM »
I have found these aborted seeds in SE Asian cultivars with very thin seed casings.  Maha Chanok actually produces many such aborted seeds....that is why my Maha Chanok seedling project was of even more interest to me than otherwise.  It was tough to get seedlings up to any size and vigor which such anemic seeds.....the three I planted out in one hole are now flowering and will hopefully fruit for the second year..

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 10:16:55 PM »
If you often pop open those mango seed hulls sometimes you're in for a big surprise, like with this one, not small or aborted, but very interesting looking:

Oscar
Oscar

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 10:55:36 PM »
Hi Joe, seems like an aborted seed. Even if it sprouted you wouldn't want to use a stunted rootstock to graft onto. You want to use as vigorous of a rootstock as possible. So bigger seeds are usually better.
Oscar

I am hypothesizing that a stunted seed would therefore produce stunted growth and therefore possibly have a dwarfing affect on the grafted scion... How did dwarfing rootstock come about anyway?

_JoeP450

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 12:11:59 AM »
Oscar

I am hypothesizing that a stunted seed would therefore produce stunted growth and therefore possibly have a dwarfing affect on the grafted scion... How did dwarfing rootstock come about anyway?

_JoeP450

Maybe you are right in some very few cases, but i think that in a vast majority of cases what will happen if you graft onto a stunted seed rootstock is that the whole plant will die. Some dwarfs are genetic mutations, but mutations happen very rarely in nature.
If we make a rough comparison with human children, there is a very big difference between a small very sickly child and a child that is  dwarf, that may be quite healthy.
Oscar
Oscar

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 12:39:05 AM »
That is a gorgeously unique seed, Oscar...truly....hope it sprouts a
great and wonderful Bean Stalk... :-\

FaNG

Herman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 07:16:16 PM »
If you often pop open those mango seed hulls sometimes you're in for a big surprise, like with this one, not small or aborted, but very interesting looking:

Oscar

Wow!  It's an Easter Island head statue with a mohawk!