Author Topic: Top these cherimoyas?  (Read 22625 times)

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Top these cherimoyas?
« on: December 01, 2016, 05:24:45 PM »
Picked up these 2 herimoya trees at Lowes today.  35$ each.  One is labeled "vietnamese" and the other is a "honeyheart".  Question:  is it ok to go ahead and top them now?  I probably wont plant them for a few months.  They are just one stick now.  They look like they need to be topped.  What do you guys say?

Brad Spaugh

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
Re: Top these cherimoyas?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 05:33:50 PM »
Dang that's a nice view (the mountains, not the moyas :-).

The one on the left is saying "water me, please."

I would personally probably wait until spring to top them.
Jeff  :-)

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2016, 12:43:35 AM »
Spaugh,
Typical cherimoya pruning time in Southern California is in April.
Sometimes people prune a second time in July/August.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 12:49:07 AM by wslau »
Warren

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2016, 02:22:59 AM »
Jeff makes a good point. It's probably not going to grow much in this cool weather, so let it get stronger with those extra leaves. Once the temperature rises, top it so it'll grow side branches.

Keep in mind that the buds are right under the leaf petioles. So you'll have to pull out some leaves for the new shoots to grow when you want them to.

Jack, Nipomo

• San Luis Obispo County, CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2016, 09:45:14 AM »
"Honeyhart" in deference to Orton Englehart who registered the tree. It's a shame certain nurseries name trees incorrectly and refuse to fix their error.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2016, 10:17:51 AM »
Ithanks for the advice.  I will check the label again, it may be labeled honeyhart. 
Brad Spaugh

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2016, 10:20:56 AM »
As you guys can see, my yard is quite exposed on top of a hill and not many barriers around.  My avocado trees are taking the wind and brutal heat ok but I am trying to figure out if the cherimoyas can take the elements as well or do they need to be babies a bit more.  I have some land down lower on the hill but it requires clearing out the native vegetation to use.  So it's a lot of work to try and shelter my trees.
Brad Spaugh

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2016, 10:39:23 AM »
"Honeyhart" in deference to Orton Englehart who registered the tree. It's a shame certain nurseries name trees incorrectly and refuse to fix their error.
Remember the Engleharts?  I bought fruit from them back in the 70's.  Always super-sweet.  The fruit, that is!  They were a little eccentric, and silent Orton was always running around in the background while Ann dealt with customers.  What a huge variety of fruit they grew!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 10:41:38 AM by johnb51 »
John

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2016, 11:27:42 AM »

Yep, its labeled "honey heart"  :(  oh well...
Brad Spaugh

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2016, 12:38:53 PM »
It's a shame Orton cherimoya is not propagated. it's consider by many as the best cherimoya. Ott is another underrated cultivar that's been lost in the annals of time but it's appreciated by anyone who tries it

Jack, Nipomo

• San Luis Obispo County, CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2016, 01:56:39 PM »
Besides Honeyhart, Orton, there is Oxhart cherimoya.  He also registered Creamhart avocado.  It's worth a look at Google search for the name Orton Englehart to see his contributions.  Sadly, some nurseries just won't use the correct name.  Oh well.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2016, 05:46:49 PM »
Besides Honeyhart, Orton, there is Oxhart cherimoya.  He also registered Creamhart avocado.  It's worth a look at Google search for the name Orton Englehart to see his contributions.  Sadly, some nurseries just won't use the correct name.  Oh well.

Oxhart is a mediocre fruit but there are a lot of great cherimoyas that the nurseries overlook. Here is one that's the father of Lisa atemoya and one of the sweetest I've had: Libby. It's very early, late October, super producer and as sweet as Pierce or Sabor

Libby brix 28

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2016, 01:28:29 AM »
Oxhart didn't taste superior to me either from what I remember. The protrusions are second to El Bumpo. The skin is more prone to darkening.

It's good that you guys bring up these history.

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2016, 12:09:37 PM »
For starts, they're rootbound.  I'd plant them in the spring or until danger of frost is over. If that's now, then plant.  Wait until they're established to top.  This thread might help.
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=21887.0

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2016, 01:18:43 AM »
For starts, they're rootbound.  I'd plant them in the spring or until danger of frost is over. If that's now, then plant.  Wait until they're established to top.  This thread might help.
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=21887.0

Ideally you want to plant them in early fall so they establish roots ithru the winter but I've planted cherimoyas, mangos , avocados jackfruit other stuff in December and January. As Mark said wait until the arctic blast pass on Tuesday.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2016, 08:29:14 AM »
JF's spot on especially for us folks who have hot summers. Best time to plant a deciduous tree like a peach or pecan is in the fall.  Best time to plant an evergreen is fall thru spring IMO.  I like planting dormant bare root trees in Sept. - November.  Bare root insures a good inspection (and treatment) of the root system and dormancy insures there's no shock.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2016, 10:52:38 AM »
I need to make more room to plant these trees.  I have endless space here but it needs a deer fence.  Here is a photo of my avocado area.  Im going to fence in an are about 3 times this size and connect it to my 2 existing fenced areas.

Brad Spaugh

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2016, 11:38:45 AM »
I need to make more room to plant these trees.  I have endless space here but it needs a deer fence.  Here is a photo of my avocado area.  Im going to fence in an are about 3 times this size and connect it to my 2 existing fenced areas.

Wow, what a challenge.  I have deer fence and recommend high tensile 8' although you may need taller.  Would think that a deer under pressure might be able to jump from the top down and over.  Do you have plenty of cheap water? 

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2016, 11:45:24 AM »
My fence is tenax 7' and it seems to keep them out fine.  They wont jump it on a slope.  Everything here is on a slope pretty much.  The deer arent that big I think also.  I never get a good look though they usually come after dark.  I have a 150gpm well that costs 20$ a month to run during summer.  I will try and get some better photos of the property when more fences start going up.
Brad Spaugh

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2016, 12:01:58 PM »
Wow, nice lot's of space for sure and slope which is nice for drainage of cold air, thanks for posting spaugh, you've got a challenge ahead of you for sure but looks like your off to a good start! Do you have any white sapote yet? if not you need some!

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2016, 01:16:25 PM »
no sopote yet.  need a fence then I can start planting like crazy soon.  i actually tried sopote from the farmers market and it had a bad taste.  but it may have been over ripe.

here is a photo of a horse pen that Ive converted to a garden.  And a photo of the top 3rd of the property.  the plan is to connect the 2 fenced areas in the photo and start using the cleared area for growing.  That will give me another half an acre to grow on the hill where its cleared.  If that gets full, Ive got 7 more acres around the water tabk and down the hill where you cant see.  The natural vegetation has to be cleared and fencing put up and 2" pvc feeder pipe run down there.  Its a lot of work to put in more stuff here.

Brad Spaugh

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2016, 02:08:26 PM »
spaugh,
Where are you located in San Diego County?  North of Escondido?
John

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2016, 02:16:18 PM »
Southeast of escondido 20 minutes
Brad Spaugh

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2016, 02:30:37 PM »
By the way is that arctic blast a joke?  Its like 75 degrees out.  Been waiting all year for this weather.  Should still be around 70 here for Tuesdays arctic blast!
Brad Spaugh

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2016, 04:02:41 PM »
I have a 150gpm well that costs 20$ a month to run during summer.

Huh?  I thought there was little to no underground water left in SoCal?  I mean if the alphabet 6:00 news spins it as such it must be right, verdad?  ;) 

What a piece of paradise you have or rather made for yourself.