Author Topic: Looking for Florida native fruiting plants  (Read 1498 times)

RiversOFT

• St.augustine Florida United States
    • View Profile
Looking for Florida native fruiting plants
« on: July 10, 2019, 12:58:01 AM »
Looking to buy Florida native fruiting plants
Been wanting to add some more natives to my collection and with more and more of Florida being bulldozed I figured maybe nows the time
Looking for small plants but not looking for anything in particular right now unless you have the Florida native goji or paw paw, let me know whet you have!
unless someone like you
Cares a whole awful lot
Nothing is going to get better,
It's not

lreigelman0555

• USA, Southwest Florida, Zone 9b/10a
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Florida native fruiting plants
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2019, 08:13:21 AM »
I have plenty of fruiting cocoplums right now. They're pretty much everywhere, but I've got some seeds.

D-Grower

• United States, Florida, zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2019, 09:28:52 AM »
Beauty berry is a good native fruit to plant. Maypop, corky bark passiflora, persimmon, red mulberry, Simpson stopper, bulley, and improved oaks for good acorns are all good natives to hunt down. Just throwing out ideas for you.
Trying to grow it all!

Rex Begonias

• USA, FL/Brevard, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2019, 01:55:53 PM »
May want to check out https://southernhorticultureflorida.com//
Looks like it's in your area.
They are FANN registered, which means they should have a lot of natives and be knowledgeable about them.

I don't know your site, but Pond Apple is another native that wasn't mentioned yet, an Annona species I believe they sometimes use as rootstock, but as you may already be familiar or guess from the name, does prefer to be near some water.  Chickasaw Plum and Flatwoods Plum may also be options.

Previous responses already covered most the others I'm familiar with, though not sure there is a native goji?  Would be interested to learn more about that one.  Some claim Everglades tomato may be a native, and Seminole pumpkin, though not likely native without human introduction has a significantly long history of use in the state dating back pre-colonial. 

Rex Begonias

• USA, FL/Brevard, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2019, 02:02:42 PM »
May want to check out https://southernhorticultureflorida.com//
Looks like it's in your area.
They are FANN registered, which means they should have a lot of natives and be knowledgeable about them.

I don't know your site, but Pond Apple is another native that wasn't mentioned yet, an Annona species I believe they sometimes use as rootstock, but as you may already be familiar or guess from the name, does prefer to be near some water.  Chickasaw Plum and Flatwoods Plum may also be options.

Previous responses already covered most the others I'm familiar with, though not sure there is a native goji?  Would be interested to learn more about that one.  Some claim Everglades tomato may be a native, and Seminole pumpkin, though not likely native without human introduction has a significantly long history of use in the state dating back pre-colonial.

Oh, "native goji" may be Christmas Berry?  I have one growing now, but believe the site is too dry for it, I believe its natural habitat is salt marsh edges.

Apparently Braken Fern young fiddleheads can be eaten - I have some of those growing as well, had no clue.

Don't forget blueberries too!  We have several kind of wild blueberries growing in the state you may want to try if you have the right conditions.  There are at least 3 species I'm familiar with.

D-Grower

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2019, 11:14:48 AM »
Yaupon Holly(for caffeine), firethorn, muscadine grapes, garden huckleberry (S. nigrum), various bramble berries, sparkleberry (blueberry relative in which some are not astringent but are a bit grainy but not bad), and elderberry are some more I thought of now.

Everglades tomato and Seminole pumpkin as mentioned above are fantastic producers and are very prolific in every way here in Florida. Highly recommend them regardless if they are truly native or not. Also highly recommend Chickasaw plum. I grow Chickasaw plum and some wild ones grow decent flavored and sized fruit naturally. Not sure about the flat woods plum however there's a really small plum variety I've found that's tart but would be great for jellies etc. Happen to have seeds stratifying right now for that.
Trying to grow it all!

Rex Begonias

• USA, FL/Brevard, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2019, 10:50:58 PM »
Yaupon Holly(for caffeine), firethorn, muscadine grapes, garden huckleberry (S. nigrum), various bramble berries, sparkleberry (blueberry relative in which some are not astringent but are a bit grainy but not bad), and elderberry are some more I thought of now.

Everglades tomato and Seminole pumpkin as mentioned above are fantastic producers and are very prolific in every way here in Florida. Highly recommend them regardless if they are truly native or not. Also highly recommend Chickasaw plum. I grow Chickasaw plum and some wild ones grow decent flavored and sized fruit naturally. Not sure about the flat woods plum however there's a really small plum variety I've found that's tart but would be great for jellies etc. Happen to have seeds stratifying right now for that.

Yaupon holly, good call. Closely related to Yerba mate. 

What is firethorn?

Marlberry also makes an edible berry as well as black ironwood and red ironwood, tho more S FL native.  There is a native hog plum that supposedly makes edible fruit... of course edible and tasty are two different things...

Rex Begonias

• USA, FL/Brevard, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2019, 10:52:49 PM »
Several native opuntia prickly pear species, edible pads and fruit.

D-Grower

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2019, 11:14:59 AM »
Firethorn is an apple relative with blueberry sized red fruits. Not truly native I think but very naturalized. Fruit can be used for jelly. Plant can get dense if tamed and makes a good living hedge. Can be used for grafting loquat to dwarf them so I've heard. They are flowering here now. Will collect seeds later a few months from now.

Agreed on opuntia cactus. Great fruits on cultivated types but all have at least edible pads. Easy grower with zero care. Can fruit prolific when large and established.
Trying to grow it all!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk