Author Topic: Compact Mango Suggestions  (Read 93653 times)

starch

• My brain is like oatmeal
    • Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Compact Mango Suggestions
« Reply #175 on: September 11, 2015, 06:28:54 PM »
This is great work by starch!

Thanks Future!
- Mark

starch

• Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: September 11, 2015, 06:31:08 PM »
This is not the final table, still a work in progress. Showing it for commenting before I put it with the original post

----------------------------------------------

(updated) See posts http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=17443.msg221719#msg221719 and http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=17443.msg221720#msg221720
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 11:10:03 PM by starch »
- Mark

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: September 11, 2015, 10:21:45 PM »
Here are my compact Edward & Duncan. Edward has been on the ground 5 years and it's only 6'. I allowed it to hold fruits on its first year pug it the second year to 1.5' it only has 2 flush per year and hold 7-8 mangos per year some huge 2lb monsters. Duncan is still holding 2 fruits it gave me over 50 mangos this year

JF, would be cool if the photo was rotated 90 degrees clockwise.

Thanks
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 11:01:26 AM by Mark in Texas »

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: September 12, 2015, 10:09:26 AM »
'Cotton Candy' is Late Season;

Julie, mid;

Son Pari, mid and late;

White Pari, mid and late;

Har

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #179 on: September 12, 2015, 10:19:12 AM »
'Dwarf Hawai'ian' is Very Early and Mid (almost always two harvests, or more);

'Rosa' is Very Early and Early (sometimes into mid--- extended harvest);

'Duncan' is Early to Late (Extended Harvest.  Always waite for color break before picking).
Har

starch

• Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: September 12, 2015, 11:39:31 AM »
Har, thanks for all the info, pages and table have been updated!
- Mark

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: September 12, 2015, 11:44:54 AM »
Starch,  many thanks for all your hard work. I love the compilation of flavor comments.

starch

• Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: September 12, 2015, 11:50:22 AM »
Starch,  many thanks for all your hard work. I love the compilation of flavor comments.

Thanks mangomandan!
- Mark

horseshoe_bayou

• as you sow, so shall you reap.
    • U.S.A, FL, west palm beach, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: September 12, 2015, 06:55:21 PM »
where can I get cotton candy?
Mic

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: September 12, 2015, 07:28:32 PM »
'Cotton Candy' will only be available next year, at several south Florida retail nurseries--- after they buy from Zill's in the spring.
Har

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #185 on: September 12, 2015, 07:44:37 PM »
'Edgar', supposedly from 'Edward' X 'Gary', and therefore the name, has a long harvest, mainly mid-season, with some early and late.

'Dwarf Hawai'ian', supposedly actually originated in Florida, where it was given the non-politically-correct name, "tete-de-nene."
It tastes like a cross between 'Julie' and 'Kent', and those are its probable parents.  Though I don't care for 'Julie', I do like the flavor of 'Dwarf Hawai'ian' pulp very much, and also the flavor of its skin--- together they are very sweet and spicey.
Har

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: September 12, 2015, 07:55:37 PM »
'Baptiste' is actually not very juicy.   Haitians sometimes describe it as a "dry" mango--- one that can be eaten without first taking off one's shirt!  It has good, low-fibre texture, and is quite sweet, with an odd spiceyness.  If you didn't grow up eating it or hearing that it was grandpa's favorite, don't get one before trying the fruit.
Har

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: September 12, 2015, 08:54:47 PM »
'Neelam' is appreciated by those who want SOUR GREEN MANGOS FOR PICKLES, well into late season.

The obvious fact that the WORDS "Paheri", "Pari", "Pairi", and "Piri" are linguistically related ("pear" and "pera" may belong there too), does not mean that mangoes bearing those words in their names are the same or similar varieties.  So 'Paheri' (Bombay),
'Son Pari', and 'White Pari', should not be confounded.
Har

starch

• Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: September 12, 2015, 11:03:28 PM »
Har, thanks again for all the info, the description posts and the table have been updated!
- Mark

starch

• Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: September 12, 2015, 11:06:26 PM »
NOTE WHEN USING THIS TABLE:

Flavor is an inherently subjective experience. Even when the same exact piece of fruit is tasted at the same exact time by two different people, and even if they agree for the most part on what the flavor profile is they will likely perceive slightly different flavors because tasting is subjective.

Next consider that from the same tree two pieces of fruit are selected, one that is tree-ripened and one that is picked green and counter-ripened and these fruit are given to two different people to taste. For some cultivars the tasting review of these two fruits will yield results as if they were completely different varieties of mango!

Now this becomes further complicated when trees are grown in different locations, different soils, different fertilization strategies, picked from different locations within the tree, picked at different years (comparing flavor from a dry year vs. wet year) etc. etc.

The point is this: It is very difficult to get 100% agreement on the flavor profile of the exact same piece of fruit because taste is subjective and gets so much harder when different fruit are compared.

The only thing that can be guaranteed is that there will be no agreement.

So why bother with a table of flavor profiles?

Some guide to the flavor profile of the mango that you are considering purchasing is far better than no guide at all. The whole point of this post is to gather and centralize information based on forum members observations and experiences with growing these cultivars. And after all, why are we growing mangos? Because we want to eat them, because we enjoy the taste.

The subjective pleasure from eating the mango and preference of one flavor over another is completely individual. But having some input on those flavor experiences from others that have grown and eaten the fruit can be helpful.

So take the following table with a grain of salt and use it as a loose guide of the flavor profile you might expect when choosing which tree might be right for your situation

FORUM MEMBERS: If you have tasting experiences to share that you feel are not captured in this table, please share in the post comments! I will update with your tasting notes!

CultivarRipening SeasonFlavor Profile
Alampur baneshan?-- Alanpur Baneshsan is a very flavorful mango.  The only problem is, the flavor it has isn't a flavor that everyone likes.  It is very strong flavored and has a considerable resinous twang. (REF)
-- Alampur Baneshan is a very fragrant and spice mango.  I would say that it is a mango for people that like full flavored unusual mangoes. The skin remains mostly green when mature, and the flesh is kind of pale.  However, the flesh packs a good punch of smells and flavors. (REF)
Amrapalilate in the season (REF)-- My one and only runt fruit was picked green and ripened on the counter for a week. Taste was awesome! To me, the taste is right up there with the  Alphonso mango. Sorry, didn't take pictures of the cut fruit. Remembered it had deep orange color flesh. (REF)
-- From Julia Morton: "Another new hybrid, 'Amrapali', of which 'Dashehari' was the female parent and 'Neelam' the male, is definitely dwarf, precocious, a regular and heavy bearer, and late in the season. The fruit is only medium in size; flesh is rich orange, fiberless, sweet and 2 to 3 times as high in carotene as either parent."(REF)
-- Forgot to add this mango the real Amrapali Brix 27  this is one of the sweetest I've had right there with White Chaunsa & Gary but much more complex. Reminds me of the floral taste of seacrest with a slight piney finish. We will propagate this variety next year as well as Jumbo Amrapali. Amrapali is from the same hybrid breeding project Malika came from in India but unlike Malika you don't need to play the guessing  game when to harvest it. Top 10 mango(REF)
-- This year I tasted Amrapali for the first time. The taste was excellent! In taste and texture was like the Alphonso mangos from India that I have enjoyed in the past. (REF)
Angieit is the late part of the early season to early part of the mid season. (REF)
-- There have been numerous tastings that I have been involved with where it has vied for top billing.  Unfortunately, it does have some inconsistencies. There have been years where the flavor has been off for some unexplained reason.(REF)
-- the flesh is sweet silky smooth no fiber and a slight papaya undertone/aftertaste. The first year my tree fruited it did not wow me but this year they were great. As I said earlier it does have a resinous taste near the skin and the stem. This is more prominent if eaten too underripe. I am not very fond of the resinous taste but the key to it is to cut the skin away before eating or slicing and it is completely gone. (REF)
-- By "real indian flavor" i mean sweet, with minimal acidity, strong flavor, complex. Alampur baneshan seems to be my number one choiceat the moment.(REF)
Baptiste?-- It has a faint turpentine taste mixed with sweetness and is reasonably fragrant.  On its own, it would be a decent mango, fibre free and juicy.(REF)
-- 'Baptiste' is actually not very juicy.   Haitians sometimes describe it as a "dry" mango--- one that can be eaten without first taking off one's shirt!  It has good, low-fibre texture, and is quite sweet, with an odd spiceyness.  If you didn't grow up eating it or hearing that it was grandpa's favorite, don't get one before trying the fruit.(REF)
Carriemid to early-late(REF)--  It is a distinct taset to the flesh and a "piney"/resinous component near the skin that some, or many find off putting. (REF)
-- The carrie goes from creamy (code word for chalky :-), with a great sweet and tart combo to sweet gelatinous sludge with funky odor and foul aftertaste very quickly. The novice mango eater will wait until the carrie is yellow before eating, but that is a mistake. One should consume the carrie at the very first sign of give. (This does not apply to islanders / latinos, as they often prefer to let it ripen to the point of extreme sweetness.) Carrie also tend to have a better flavor and consistency (in my opin) if picked green and allowed to ripen indoors. I very rarely find a tree ripened carrie that I like. It takes some trial and error to get the carrie at the right stage, it does have that strong piney flavor (which is stronger in some years than others), and the flavor can vary from year to year.(REF)
--   Because I like strong-tasting mangos, 'Carrie''s flavor, and fiber-free texture and thin edible skin win hands-down with me(REF)
-- Carrie: Finally a break from all those mild tasting FL varieties!! Strong flavor plus piney taste made of of my favorites. Supposedly has very short window for perfection. I tried 5 Carries in various stages, and they were all excellent mangoes. Failed to see all that fuss about window of perfection and hate relationship some people have to this variety. Also refrigerated Carries are simply awesome. Refrigeration actually increases overall appeal with Carrie. It isn't necessarily true with other varieties. (REF)
Cogshall mid (REF)-- It ihas a propensity to being mild and having at times a washed out flavor.  Texture is soft too. (REF)
-- All that said tho, the flavor in a perfectly ripened fruit is outstanding, and I've had several so far this season that were perfect. Of my 4 mango varieties, it is my favorite flavor wise. The fruit have a prominent sub-acid component to the flavor, which I like a lot. But if you want an all sweet fruit, that might not be a bonus. The part near the stem especially has a tangyness to it that I like a lot - no resin or turpentine type flavor, not really sure how to describe it. More like concentrated flavor. (REF)
-- The coloration on this mango was green, pink and yellow blended into each other with white spots. The mango weighed 381g and was 5in long. When I cut open the mango it revealed a yellow gold flesh with some watery juice. The flesh was fiberless, soft, and of melting consistency. It had nice flesh to seed ratio with plenty of edible flesh and a monoembryonic seed. The taste was sweet, with a slight tangy-ness and hints of orange juice with a spicy funky finish which I cannot compare nor explain exactly what it was. I thought this had a complex flavor. Next time i get my hands on a few of these i plan to eat them at different stages of ripeness to see how or if the flavor profile changes much, think that would be interesting.(REF)
Cotton Candylate (REF)-- If you like high acidic levels in your mango read no further.  At first bite you taste a the flavor of a firm but tamed down Gary (no distinct pina colada flavor) and then all hell breaks loose and here comes the flavor of, yes, I am not kidding, the flavor of cotton c andy on through the finish.  I have eaten a few of these and the flavor profile is consistent. (REF)
-- This thing is sweet.  Sickly sweet.  Perhaps some alternate names could have been Sucre.  Or The Amputator.  A good looking mango with subtle yellow pink outside, also decent mid sized fruit.  Inside is yellow and, again, mine had slightly gone past its prime.  But in this case, it didn't matter.  First impression were, aroma was positive.  Second thing, it struck me as being very similar in flavour profile go Coconut Cream - excellent.  The knock out punch though is the after taste.  It seemed the closer to th seed I got, the sweeter the mango got.  It is like a mix of Brahm Kai Mea and coconut cream. (REF)
Duncan early to late (Extended Harvest.  Always wait for color break before picking). (REF)-- Duncan's flavor to me is like a sort of 'milder' Edward, with some other delicate notes it probably inherited from the Pico cross.. It is quite good. I would not place it in the level of Cushman or Dot strictly in terms of flavor but it certainly ranks well. The best quality of Duncan is the sum of all its qualities really;(REF)
-- this is a fiberless, orange fleshed fruit with nice flavor(REF)
-- Duncan: Most people consider this anywhere from good to excellent. I had the same opinion. I changed my mind when Alex (squam256) picked the most perfect fruits out of big pile of Duncans. I peeled them like potatoes (this method eliminates any chances of bitter skin), cut off the slice and wow! The most perfect Duncan of my life. I felt like it was right up there with all premier varieties. Something irresistible about that mellow delicate taste working with few tones in the background.  And I'm not even a fan of mild tasting mangoes mind you! I felt like a fool for never requesting Duncan budwood. Another factor to overall appeal is silky smooth texture. Different from all mangoes. Even some gelatinous tones, although not the same gelatinous as NDM.  Again fruit must be perfect and almost overripe for me in order to compete with other premier varieties.(REF)
Dwarf Hawaiian very early and mid (almost always two harvests, or more); (REF)--   I only had a timely one and it had that tang like sizzle to it, sort of like carbonated water - but sweet and aromatic.  The flesh looks stringy but was fine to me.  This is a good mango.(REF)
-- Dwarf Hawaiian continues to please.  What they lack in size, they make up for in earlyness and zippy sweetness. (REF)
--  Dwarf Hawaiian was certainly the best of the early mangoes.  Even slightly over ripe it tasted fine.(REF)
-- It tastes like a cross between 'Julie' and 'Kent', and those are its probable parents.  Though I don't care for 'Julie', I do like the flavor of 'Dwarf Hawai'ian' pulp very much, and also the flavor of its skin--- together they are very sweet and spicey.(REF)
Edgarlong harvest, mainly mid-season, with some early and late (REF)-- Finished eating the  rest of the Edgar and wow, it's SO GOOD  :D   Nice size and the flavor is very sweet, smooth, well-rounded and just wonderful. It's been my #2 most delicious mango eating experience of this summer so far, just below the Maha Chanok.(REF)
-- My first reaction to tasting this Edgar (Edward x Gary) from Walter Zill's in Boynton Beach, FL, was the same as Borat's: "Wowwah weeeewah! Very nice, I like." I cut it when it was still fairly firm. It has the sweetness of a popsicle, the smoothness of an Edward, its creamy as a Candy Corn, and there's a laid back tropical flavor mystique that is delightful. Eating close to the skin there is a beautiful, subdued resinous finish. I would rate this mango as "Excellent" and say that it is truly delicious and high grade. It did not blow my mind in the way in the way I associate with an outstanding mango, but this one is close. (REF)
-- I thought my 2 remaining Edgars would have been very overripe at the time of the sampling but there were not. The black spots on the exterior barely penetrated through the skin and into the flesh. Sweet, fiberless, deep orange flesh. I felt they tasted much better  than the Edgars I sampled earlier last week. And considering how they held up well since purchasing ripe  8 days, maybe some commercial growing potential here (?) with this cv. Very enjoyable.(REF)
-- Edward x Gary = Edgar. This mango was mostly yellow with some olive green towards the bottom and starting to brown on top. This mango was 4in long and weighed 355g. When I cut the mango open it produced a bright yellow-orange flesh and leaked some thin juice. The flesh was fiberless soft and juicy. There was an alright amount of flesh to eat that surrounded a monoembryonic seed. The taste was like canned peaches with an added tangy finish and a resinous taste near the peel.(REF)
-- Edgar - this was said to be the "brother" of Coconut Cream... a supposed Edward Gary cross = EdGar.  A nice mid-size mango with a beautiful pink blush... and a complex, almost "royal" flavor. The tasted reminded me of some mangoes I had in India... but toned down and smoother, more 'Western'.  I knew it was really good because I ate such tiny bites, not looking forward to it being gone. Later, I sliced off the second half and drove to the beach... waded out into the water as the sun set... and slowly nibbled the orange flesh off the skin while looking up at sky. I sadly dropped the peel in the Atlantic ocean, walked back to my car and drove home thinking about finding more mangoes of the same quality. A(REF)
Fairchild? (based on mango reviews it seems like a mid-season ripener?)-- I really like Fairchild.  It does have a strong "muskiness" similar to Indian mangoes which is probably why I like it.(REF)
-- Grass flats, the Fairchild is a very good mango, but I didn't find it to be complex or spicy. It had kind of concentrated mango flavor (good thing), but I didn't detect other flavors in it. But it was up against some stiff competition on the complexity scale! I've never had Carrie, so can't comment on that. I have decided on Maha for my yard.  I considered Fairchild - liked it, but the spread out fruiting season and its unique flavor of the Maha made it the winner. I'm going to topwork the Angie. (REF)
-- Fairchild - smelled a bit like celery on the outside, but none of that carried into the fruit flesh. It was a very good mango. No special flavors - just mango. Good sweet tart balance, with the tip being sweet and the stem end having a pleasant tartness. (REF)
Florigonearly.(REF)-- Our early Florigons were washed out. The later ones were quite good, sweet with a citrus-hint. (REF)
--  Later that weekend, I tried a bunch more mangos and one was Florigon, and I agree that is a middling good but not superior mango flavor. (REF)
-- This florigon was 4in long and weighed 394g, it was a flat orange color with black freckling and a large anthracnose streak. This was another mango which had an oily feel to the outside skin. When I cut open the mango it revealed a deep orange color with hardly any excess juice.  The juice that was present adhered to the flesh and was a syrupy consistency. The flesh was smooth with a consistency somewhere between gelatinous and creamy completely absent of fiber. The sugar content seemed mild and the taste seemed like mild honeydew melon. Overall I thought the flesh was of desert quality but it was not really sweet and lacked any distinct flavor characteristics, maybe this was watered down? Worthy of a second try.(REF)
Honey Kisslate (REF)-- Just got back from Walter Zill's in Boynton and I ate a ripe Honey Kiss drop with my lunch. It was smaller than a fist and what I consider the ideal size for one person. This mango is juicy, it has nice melts-in-your-mouth flesh texture with no fiber I recall. It tastes sweet and mellow, like a honeydew melon and beneath the skin has just a hint of the Lemon Zest / Orange Sherbet flavors.  Very smooth taste  - I did not encounter one funky, tart, resiny, stringy, spicy, or bitter aspect in it. I would rate it as "excellent" and put it in the mild & sweet corner of the tasting table. (REF)
-- This mango I have no information on and eventually I'll call over to get some more info on it. This mango was a yellowing green with a small amount of light red blush at the top and felt soft and ready to eat. It was 3.5in long and weighed 238g. When I cut the top off it revealed a pale orange flesh with very little juice adhering to the flesh. The flesh was firm and fiberless with a few long strings noticeable on flesh direct on the peel. There was not a large amount of flesh to eat as this was a smaller sized mango with a big (what seems to be) polyembrionic seed. The taste was mildly sweet and slightly tangy with a peachy nuance and no resinous taste. (REF)
-- The ones I tired early last year were a little washed out but the late seasons were excellent.(REF)
-- Again, it can be picked mature green but will ripen much better and with peak flavor is left on the tree until it begins to or heavily obtains its yellow/golden base color.  When its allowed to color up on the tree, the texture and flavor will be amazing and a distinct honey taste is present. (REF)
Imam Passand ?-- ‘Imam Pasand’ is one of the best mangos of India, ideally suited for dessert, the table and show. The fruit weigh 16 oz or more and are a beautiful smooth oval at maturity. The skin is a dark green, with distinct white highlights over the entire surface. Upon ripening the fruit can attain a deep yellow blush the shoulders and mid-section. The tree has a trailing growth habit and is easily controlled by annual pruning. The properly pruned tree will have a full, spreading canopy of 8 to 10 ft in height and spread. During the fruiting season of June and July, ‘Imam Pasand’ hangs heavy with consistent production. The fruit should be harvested mature green and ripened off the tree at a temperature of 75° to 85° F. Harvesting should occur 2 to 4 weeks before ripening on the tree for the development of the best quality. Properly harvested and ripened fruit have a fiberless, silky flesh with a deep, sweet flavor and distinct citrus overtones. The tree and fruit are tolerant of diseases and require little in the way of special care.(REF)
-- It is a large, not too attractive looking mango, mottled green that lightens to blotched yellow-green as it ripens. It has a hard stone which you can hear rattle inside . The flesh is a light yellow that looks unripe, and in fact, when you first bite in, there's a sourness that makes you think you've made a mistake. But the flesh is ripely smooth, with little stringiness, and then you realise the sourness is really a citrusy tang that adds a zest to the sweetness that spills over your palate. A friend's father who grew up near Tiruchirapalli tells me that he's heard the Imam Pasand was a cross between a Banganapalli and a Mulgoa. I don't know if this is scientifically accurate, but in taste terms it makes sense. It has the heft of a Banganapalli, the biggest mango of any quality, and its light yellow flesh, but where that tends towards sweet insipidity, with a chalky undertaste, a Mulgoa-like acid bite rescues it, adding lively interest. (REF)
Jehangir?-- I believe I tried it at Smather's place (Four Fillies farm)  years ago.  I think Crafton said it was introduced to Florida by Frank Smathers.  It was green skinned and almost white fleshed and wasn't very good.  Had some resinous flavor and not overly sweet.  It didn't have fiber but the flesh was firm. It was totally green on the outside.  Now that I look at the Fairchild book, it is rated Fair to Good (on the Excellent, Good, Fair, Poor scale).  That's the same as Tommy Atkins.  I don't rememer the tree as being any different in size than the rest of the trees there.  But, I am sure they were all well pruned. I think "exceptional quality" might not apply to this cultivar. Of course, the fruit I had might have been an aberation, but Crafton didn;t say that it was when we tried it.(REF)
-- Didn't get a chance to ask Richard but I was told it was white fleshed. From Harry's description of it being resinous and you mentioning it's dwarf, it sounds like an excellent tree. I like the stronger 'spicy' flavored mangos and I think a white fleshed one would be cool to have. (REF)
Juliemid (REF)-- Yep, that denser flesh is what I would call 'creamy'. There is an offspring of the Julie called a Gary which has even denser/creamier flesh. The Gary was used as the natural pollinator for many of the new Zill mango releases. Personally I much prefer a creamy mango over one that's 'watery'. That's why I'm going so berzerk over all the new Zill releases!(REF)
-- It has a complex, fruity-resinous flavor profile that I'd place in the Caribbean (e.g., Julie/Graham/Bombay) corner of the tasting table.(REF)
Leo #2?-- The Leo #2 smells absolutely amazing and it has great color with yellow as the base and a sunset red blush. There are lenticels, otherwise this fruit can be as beautiful as a Maha Chanok ripened in the sun. The Leo #2 is an excellent tasting fruit with high Brix the last time I tested it. These fruit are not ripe yet but I'll get a Brix reading on them when they ripen up. (REF)
-- I just cut open the Leo#2 and it was soooo sweet. It had a Brix of 21.5% but tasted even sweeter because it lacked a bit of acidity to balance out the sweetness. Both my daughters and my wife loved. I liked it very much but wish it had a bit more acid. This fruit has a small amount of fibers, mostly concentrated around the seed. The flavor is hard to pin but to my palate had hints of Edward with a bit of Vanilla on the back end. Overall a great mango. (REF)
Mahachanokextended (mid-early to late)(REF)-- Hi Clay, I'm really bad at describing mango flavors and taste...but here goes...its very sweet, no fiber till you get very close to the seed. The flavor is slightly stronger than my Glenn but not over powering. I prefer it over my Cogshall and I really like Cogshall...it has a little spicy overtones to it...not strong though. All I know is I really enjoy the taste and so does my husband. I too like the shape, very different than the mango varieties I have. These first (4) mangoes from this tree is small...I'm hoping the sizes will be larger next year since I planted it inground...depending on what type of winter we have. Thanks...Good luck to us all this winter that gets the occasional freeze...hope its not a bad one  :-\   Hi Obet, for me at least when I say a little 'spicy' overtones I definitely do not mean resinous or turpentine...I do not like the flavor of Carrie ( and its due to this "off" herb, medicial flavor and I'm not a fan of it) so when I say it has a little spice what I mean is its not bland or just sugary sweet, it has some nice mild spice (think of a hint of say cinammon,lol)...it has a very nice flavor that I like (very pleasant tasting). I have come to the conclusion I do not like strong and overly spicy...herb, medicinal overtones in mango...just prefer the regular sweet, fiberless mango with a good overall nice flavor with that tropical flavors you get...anything very strong I'm not big fan of...(REF)
-- Maha Chanok - has the most complex and elegant flavor, more subtle than a Sweet Tart(REF)
-- the Maha Chanok...well the Angie has just had its death sentence I think! I let my husband have the first taste, and he made a hilarious face and proclaimed  "holy moly that's the sweetest mango I've ever tasted! Starts kind of coconutty and tart and then explodes with sweetness!" - I was most amused watching him. What did I think? One of the best mangos I've ever had! Very complex flavor, incredible sweetness near the skin, a good balance of sweet and subacid, flesh was firm and smooth with no fiber or mushiness - just outstanding! Not sure I taste cola syrup exactly, but do understand the comparison. There was absolutely no resinous or bitter flavor.  I thought the cut skin had a slightly piney scent, but there was no pine in the flavor. There is a distinctive scent to the fruit overall not unpleasant, fruity with a hint of earthiness, hard to pin down, and mostly stood out to me as smelling different than it tasted. Here's a pic of the fruit(REF)
Manilita early (REF)-- I just tasted my first home grown fruit and I was pleasantly surprised.  It had a very nice flavor and I was really expecting much less based upon other reviews here on the forum.  Is this a blue ribbon winner, a taste sensation?  No....its not, but is very respectable in overall eating experience, and for those that want an early, smaller, colorful skinned fruit that has a very manageable growth habit, this mango is worth the effort, in my humble opinion.(REF)
-- The flavor might not be top tier, but it is my favorite in my yard. Fragrant,  colorful, disease resistant, every fruit ripens perfectly, and while not complex, I like the flavor a lot. A perfect cogshalls will beat it in flavor, but this year I had about 50 manilitas and around 30 cogshalls, and due to inconsistent ripening in the cogshalls, I'd say around 3 were superior, the rest were beat out by the Manilita in flavor this year.(REF)
-- My Manilita may be plain flavor wise, but it is a joy in the garden. Every fruit ripens unblemished and perfect, no uneven ripening, and it requires no spraying. Very easy tree. (REF)
-- The flavor was in my opinion not top tier - not as good as an Edward. But it was quite a bit better than a store bought Honey mango. It is in the same flavor category, sweet and tart, but it has a richer flavor and is distinctly coconutty. It has a bit of pine flavor, but not so much as to be unpleasant. When I bought the tree, nobody had any comments on its flavor, but I purchased it because it is one of the smallest dwarfs and can be maintained very narrow. As you can see, the tree is staying quite small.  Since I like Honey mangos, I'm quite pleased. My only complaint about it is that it seems prone to fruit split. It set really well - 20 to 30 fruit, most of which grew to the size of small plums. But with all those rains we got a month ago, all but 4 fruit split=( But it ripens early, so many years it will be before we start the summer rains. (REF)

« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 03:17:56 PM by starch »
- Mark

starch

• Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: September 12, 2015, 11:08:19 PM »
Continuation of the table

CultivarRipening SeasonFlavor Profile
Nam Doc Mai #4mid (there are some people who have gotten it to produce in the off season) (REF)-- NDM -nam doc mai is compact but the mango has straight sweet honey taste. I would plant it only if I have the more complex ones that also have tart component. (REF)
-- NDM is just kind of a plain sweet mango.  No complexity. (REF)
--  NDM is a delicious and adding an asian mango , if you dont have one, may be the thing to do. Im not sure why NDM isnt a firat choice other than splitting issues, which may not be a problem in your area (my neighbors tree hasnt had a problem )(REF)
-- NDM is a "basic" sweet mango.  Good for someone who is just looking for that however if you are looking for something more in terms of complexity from an Asian/Thai, look towards a Mahachanok. (REF)
Neelamlate (REF)-- I nominate Neelam for the worst-tasting mango.  I've heard its off-flavor described as "carrot."  I'd call it "just plain nasty."  This was another mango where I fell for the Richard Campbell hype without tasting it.  Maybe if you had 50 mango trees, you could include Neelam, but if you only have four trees like me, you definitely don't want Neelam.  I don't care that it's a late-season mango--I'm chopping mine down!(REF)
-- I've never tasted carrot it in. More like smooth, light, spicy sweet with a lil bit of tang. But hey, to each their own :).
For other reasons it quickly fell out of favor with me (small fruit, large seed, seed germinating in ripening mangoes on the tree!!!!)(REF)
-- lol.  This is how I felt about mallika...Just nasty--don't even want to try another one--just not for me. The neelam had what I describe as a vegetably taste....I almost said I liked them...then the aftertaste hit me, and I took neelam of the list.  I have been called crazy, but I also detect this aftertaste in cushman.  To each his own, but tasting is so important....especially with trees RC has recommended(REF)
-- 'Neelam' is appreciated by those who want SOUR GREEN MANGOS FOR PICKLES, well into late season.(REF)
Peggylate(?) (REF)--  Peggy brix 23 on ataulfo grafted last year(REF)
-- It seems I had spoken too soon regarding Peggy not having rich flavor.  The 2nd of those two mangoes sat out a week longer, without any sign of breaking down, tasted fantastic.  It was sweeter and whatever acidity the 1st fruit had was not detected at all in this mango.  I dare to venture a turf war in say this mango is better than Pickering ;D Absolutely worth growing for SoCal, don't know if it's proven elsewhere.(REF)
-- Jim told me that Peggy's is called Ultimate, or something like that, because there is another variety in Florida by the same last name of Winter(20222). The Early Gold we had was a chance seedling of that variety from Captain Bucklew. I will call Jim and confirm. I think both of those mangos are excellent. Like I said, I don't know why they havent been propagated....they are superior mangos in the same category as Dot or Fairchild.(REF)
-- Of the mangoes sampled that day, many of us agreed Peggy was clearly the breadwinner.  Not as rich compared to others I've had, but outstanding flavor nonetheless.  Very sweet with a light sub-acid balance that sits just right, very juicy flavor - does that make any sense? Monoembryonic seed, Firm flesh, Fiberless, Sweet & nice aroma even before cut open(REF)
Pickeringearly (REF)-- Not an eye catching or pretty mango. Would not sell well due to the color alone. Taste-wise, this is the best mango I have eaten this year. The flesh is firm and has an outstanding coconut-pineapple flavor. Reminds me a bit of a good Julie mango but this is much better. How did I wait so many years to grow this? (REF)
-- Noel - have you noticed if you let the Pickering stay on the tree longer than normal and become fully ripe that it loses that pineapple (or hint of tartness) and takes on a stronger coconut (or "tropical") nuance/flavor ?(REF)
-- I picked this one when it was still hard as a rock and it had more coconut flavor with a slight pineapple nuance. I picked one today that was a bit soft so I will let you know if there is any difference. (REF)
-- The Good:  The first was properly ripened Pickering and was one of the best mangoes I have had so far this year.  It was sweet and creamy...it was very good.  The competition included:   Coconut Cream, Edward, Glenn, and Mahachanok (knocked off of the tree by my dog prematurely and counter ripened, not a fair test).  I may be eating my CC under ripe.(REF)
-- MANGO VARIETY PICKERING, By Walter Zill, "Beginning as a chance seedling sprouting in the grove planted by Laurence Zill in Boynton Beach, FL, it first caught my attention about 1980 when I saw about a half dozen fruit being supported by an unusually small plant having a trunk diameter of about one inch, with at total height about four feet, and numerous branches that bore small fruit.  The fruit were not impressive in any other way other than exisitng in abundance on such a tiny first fruiting seedling.  They turned bright yellow when ripe, and were suprisingly firm.  The flavor tasted to me somewhat like Carrie or Julie, and the growth habit known as Sophie Frey.  Animal habits being what they are, I surmise that a seed got transplanted some few feet west of a large fruiting Carrie tree where it germinated in the undercover beneath the limbs of an Irwin tree.  In 1983 a severe freeze caused great damage in the grove, killing back some mango limbs that were up to three inches in diameter, and resulting in nearly every mango leaf on the premises turning brown.  That exception, finding green leaves on that little seedling, caught my undivided attention.  I thought perhaps the plant had more resistance to cold than other mango varieties, but subsequnet seasons have shown damage much like other mangos when the temperature dips below freezing.  Eventually the seedling was transplanted  to where it could demonstrate it qualities.  It grew compactly and fruited heavily, fruit clinging  fairly well on the tree when ripe, with little bruising when they dropped.  When the tree grew larger, and in a season when fewer fruit set, the fruit weighed up to about two pounds, though average normal season weight is near one pound.  There came a time when Dr. Wayne Pickering inquired of me about having a mango named for him.  Since that variety had proven of sufficient worth to merit a good name, I sent a box of fruit from it to him to get his reaction.  When they ripened, and he had fairly sampled them, his response was, "That's my baby!".  So the name "Pickering" stuck.  When fully ripe it's among the sweetest mangos, with a texture sutable for slicing and dicing, and it's fine fibers providing desrable bulk.  As trees were multiplied and put into commercial plantings, it has provem very productive from compact trees.  Many who have become familiar with eating the "Pickering" often specify it for the eating qualities they like. It matures relatively early in mango season."(REF)
Pina Colada?-- I've only tasted 6-8 Pina Colada mangos over the last few years.  Last week I ate two, one of which was a bit tart for my taste. The other was possibly the finest damn thing I have ever tasted. I would compare it to mango candy, except that no candy could be that good. I wonder if Patrick's care regimen was as successful with his Pina Colada as it was with Lemon Zest.(REF)
-- It can be very good if left to ripen to the proper stage prior to harvest.  Would I rank it in the tops, don't think so.  Texture is very soft.  Picked to early, it is very chalky and will not have the proper flavor profile it should have.  If space is limited and a factor, I would think hard about planting one.  If space is more on the unlimited side, then stick one in the ground. As for small mango and big seed, I am also not in the boat.  Its all about the quality first.  Sweet Tart is smaller in size with an obnoxious seed but I will highly recommend it because of its flavor.  I would rather eat two amazing mangoes than one average mango just based on flesh to seed ratio.(REF)
-- I ate my first Pina Colada fruit yesterday. It was a bit tart similar to Sweet and tart mango. Did not taste like a pina colada cocktail. My tree is slow growing about 5.5 ft tall and the fruits are small. I give it a high rating but its is based on just one fruit.(REF)
Providencelate (REF)-- The providence I had from Walter's last summer was outstanding!  Huge fruit, and it ripened evenly--a good tart/sweet ratio, and good fiberless texture IIRC.  Ordered a tree shortly thereafter. (REF)
-- To me Providence blows firchild away in terms of flavor, but I love a mango that has a tart component to balance the sweet.  It is also a much bigger mango than fairchild.  The one I had from walter's last summer was big enough to eat for a few days.  Very tasty!(REF)
-- Does it taste better, that is subjective.  Both are very good to excellent however two totally different profiles.  Fairchild is an overall very sweet mango with very little to no level of "tartness"/acidity  while Providence has a great balance between sweet and acid.  The longer Providence is left on the tree the more sweetness it takes on.  It can also be eaten green.(REF)
-- Providence is a large mango, similar in size to a large Keitt.  It can be picked mature green or with some color, tastes best when picked with some color however it may have some issues if left on the tree too long.  Flavor, to me, is like a perfectly ripe Kent crossed with a perfectly ripe Keitt.(REF)
Rapoza late (REF)-- fruit size and color and flavor similar to 'Kent.'(REF)
-- If what I hear is correct, the Florida red is the Hawaiian rapoza. That said, when Robert is here unloaded a bunch of Florida reds last late June, my wife thought they were some of the best mangos she's ever tasted. I'd agree that they were a top 5 for me that year. My rapoza is about to fruit this year for the first time. bloomed twice and is a vigorous grower. No disease problems yet. Wish I could tell you more.(REF)
-- If you compare ratings for Florida Red versus ratings for Rapoza, you will see that Florida Red will get much higher ratings in Florida, even on this forum. Never mind that they are both the same mango. ::) What does this tell you about influence of preconceived ideas in ratings?  ;)
Rapoza does very well here in super rainy east Hawaii. It has great feature of continued flowering until it finally hits a bit of a dry spell, then you get a very good flower set. It has a lot of good qualities going for it: good coloration, good production, good sized, disease resistance, and ofcourse great taste. I'm sure it could be improved upon....but then again what fruit can't? It is a seedling and improved version of Irwin, so if you don't like Irwin you may not like it? I don't know i haven't tried Irwin yet.(REF)
-- Nothing bad about either however not my favorite.   Irwin had more of an almost generic mango taste like that of a really good Haden (not saying it tasted like a Haden but of just a classic mango flavor).  The Rapoza I have had have had a more distinctive flavor like that of a more intense Irwin with a citrusy component. Again, both were good but not what I would call my favorite. (REF)
-- Rapoza = ultra fibreless!  even the seed has no clinging fibres.(REF)
-- At the Broward RFVC meeting, Eric from Pine Island spoke about rapoza.  He said they have been grown in Homestead for the last 20 years, marketed as Redland Reds.  He rated them a 10 in taste.  I bought a rapoza at the Fairchild mango festival last year.  (REF)
Rosavery early and early (sometimes into mid--- extended harvest); (REF)-- ROSA MANGO, also called ROSA OF BAHIA or ROSA OF PERNAMBUCO! Is a traditional Brazilian variety, very early cultivar and is harvested before Tommy Atkins, Very good flavor and aroma. It is totally resistant to Fusarium (malformation).(REF)
-- I like 'Rosa' a lot, because I grew up eating it in northern Brazil, and because I like really strong-tasting mangos.(REF)
-- Never had, nor even heard of Pope or Excel.  I did have a chance to taste (thanks to Murahilin) the Rosa, Tess and Hawaiian Dwarf.  Since these were the first mangoes of the season, not purchased from the store, they enjoy the glow of that status and get some additional points  for being so early. Kinda like my uncle who always said I was his favorite (but really only) nephew. All of these mangoes fall into the category, for me, as great, when there are no other mangoes around, but would never even be given a thought during the regular mango season. My least favorite was Hawaiian Dwarf.  It was small and somewhat firm and predominantly green on the outside.  I wondered if it was even ripe from its exterior feeling and look.  However, inside it was clear that it was ripe. It had been refrigerated.  So that could have affected its overall eating quality. I liked the other two more, but neither had any really superlative qualities.  I did try eating the skin with the Rosa as was suggested.  That did impart a small amount of resinous twang that Har inidcates that he refers in his mangoes. For me, the skin is a bit too tough to really give me any enjoyment in the eating of the otherwise softer, succulent mango flesh. I will not be making a habit of eating the skin on this or any other mango in all probability.  But, as Har indicated, there is no biterness in the Rosa skin....which I will be taking his word is different than what you get when you eat the skin of other mangoes. (REF)
-- 'Rosa' is very firm, moderately fibrous, sweet-tart and very resinous if you eat the skin with the pulp--- delicious, with none of the bitterness found in the skins of most other varieties.(REF)
-- Rosa is similar to Palmer mango in taste!(My opinion) (REF)
Rosigold very-early to early (REF)-- I've eaten a couple Rosigolds this month. The first, very ripe, was just sweet enough to justify eating the whole fruit. The second, just barely ripe, did taste pretty good, nice blend of sweet and tart.   Maybe not quite as "mangoey" as I'd prefer.(REF)
-- Then was a first season Rosigold. Nice strong flavor (we have had almost no rain on the east coast of florida this summer), but a little disappointing. I did not think it was very sweet. Maybe the ones later will be better.(REF)
--  I have only tried one early rosigold, and found it good, but not great--kinda rubbery and not complex. (REF)
-- During June or July your right Rosigold would be just a decent mango, nothing to write home about...But in April, its an excellent mango thats far better then anything else available. I had my first one of the season yesterday and it was outstanding. It certainly gets bonus points for fruiting in April when its the only mango.  (REF)
Rudiettlate-- Rudiett is excellent just had a two pounder ( brix20) delicious :) (REF)
-- Rudiett (20 brix) a Keitt seedling. It's a late mango, October to March, totally fiberless, firm and fruity....the fruit punch of the West coast.(REF)
Son Parimid and late (REF)-- Son Pari is medium large, yellow outside and orangey inside.  This mango has a good turpentine like flavour but is not as rich as a Bombay or other Indian mangoes.  I enjoyed it and certainly had a sharp contrast to Autumn.(REF)
-- Sonpari: Alphonso x Baneshan(REF)
Thomsonmid to late(REF)--  The fruit is small fiberless and lemony sweet. (REF)
-- Found out from and old article that the varieties ;' T-1' and 'Thomson' were seedlings that Paul T. took from Old Mango that was on the property when he bought the place in Vista. That old tree was called Edgehill because his property was at end of Edgehill street at the time. That's very cool that your saving some of those varieties hopefully will grow strong for you!
Joe, there has to be a treasure drove of Mangos down in that area with all those people experimenting with them for all those years back when! Looking through the old F.G. I found out Orton H. Englehart registered a Ortonio avocado witch I had never heard of compared to Creamhart which I have heard of! (REF)
-- Scott, Jim Nitzel told us last year that Leo took cutting from Mr. Thomson and  Colonal Bucklew yards as well as other influential SoCal mango growers. They have quite a large selection that are not publish in the Fruit Gardener. For example, the Giant Rose is a large creamy, sweet, fruity mango  with a peachy taste.(REF)
-- JF - thanks for the Peggy/Ultimate clarification.  You guys speak so highly of Thomson mangoes, I wonder how much flavor improvement from the Manila?  I like Manila but that's because they're always available.(REF)
-- Thomson T-1 mango - according to Leo, Paul Thomson preferred this mango many times over his other commercialized cultivar, Thomson mango.(REF)
-- Thompson-(syn. Thomson Large Seedling) Origin Vista, Paul Thomson, 1966. Manila seedling, polyembryonic. Tree spreading, vigor dependent upon rootstock. Fruit small to medium, (6-12 oz.), yellow, shape flat, to eight inches. Resists mildew. High fiber under chemical fertilizer regime. Season early, long (September-November), ripens well indoors if picked prematurely. For coast(REF)
Tomatoearly (REF)-- Tomato mango is one of the finest mangos in the area. Leo Manuel, Mango Professor and Jim Nietzel loved it! (REF)
-- The fruit is small and flat like a tomato. About the size of Anwar Ratol Manohar, strong , sweet, spice flavor  with little  to no fiber. This one was one of Jim Nietzel and Leo Manual favorite in 2013 La Habra tasting. (REF)
-- I had a tomato mango this morning quite a unique tasting mango....I really enjoyed it. Jim and Leo are lucky to have scion. (REF)
Venuslate (REF)-- Venus has a lovely flavor - really delicious -  but it also has the same subtle spice element found in Maha Chanok.(REF)
-- I got to try Venus.  The flavor is unique.  At first I called it "perfumey."  But it's actually more like rose or rosewater--at least the ones I sampled from a famous wholesale nursery in Lake Worth.(REF)
-- Venue should be considered as a top choice for two reasons.  It is an excellent mango and it is late season.  It does eem to have a compact growth habit, very good production and fruit are on the larger size (the three best late season mangoes IMO in terms of taste and production are Venus, Honey Kiss and Beverly).(REF)
-- Venus - superior ZINC seedling - yum! (REF)
-- Venus was mostly rich, sweet, funky and cola syrupy. The chalky taste was very faint, if I tasted it closely comparing it to Zinc it was there, but probably wouldn't notice it unless reviewing. If it gets better when more ripe or later in the year then i am looking forward to the next one.Great tasting mango.(REF)
Villa Seņormid-late (REF)-- This is a Socal variety, very underrated, nice flavor.(REF)
-- I've grown this mango two blocks from the ocean in south Ocean Beach in San Diego.   Villa Senor is an excellent mild mango, beautiful sweet yummy mango flavor, beautifully strong skin(not a weak skin), beautiful orange flesh, low fiber, no diseases on the fruit, no disease on the leaves.  Light brown new growth.  I grafted two seedlings that I planted from seed from store bought mangos of whatever varieties, with the Villa Senor in the late 1990's.   The seedlings were about 7 years old already, didn't produce any worthwhile fruit as seedlings.   However, in 2009 I had them both taken out in due to redevelopment.  Bonita Creek Nursery has one of them, which they're using for scion propagation.   A super basic easy growing problem free mango with basic beautiful flavor.(REF)
-- Mild may be "perfect" for some people.  its all about personal taste. there will probably never be a "perfect" mango, because of different preferences.  I would rather have a mild, sweet mango that  has a creamy texture, and nice aroma, than an intense variety that is grainy. I like Kent and Glenn which are have been labeled "mild". and that's another point, mild to one person may be strong for another, I have even seen Keitts described as Mild, I wouldn't call those mild. and what is it that classifies a variety as mild? just weak flavor, or low acidity? or low aroma? I mean you could have a variety that has good mango flavor, but may be low in acid and aroma, and to some that may be considered mild. then there are those that like that resin turpy flavor, and use that as the scale of what is mild or not.(REF)
White Parimid and late (REF)-- I agree that the Indian Pari shown in the website is a little weird looking with the pointed end. But the Pairi/Pari/Paheri should all be the same...according to literature that I have read. I have been researching the origin of the Pirie mango for some time...since the Hawaiian Pirie (and White Pirie) are my favorite mangos. The Hawaiian Pirie is a descendant of the Pairi/Paheri of India. Likewise, the Bombay is also a seedling descendant of the Paheri from India.
So that's why I am so interested to see if MangoFang's Bombay is similar in taste to the Hawaiian Pirie.  To the best of my knowledge, nobody in SoCal other than MangoFang has a Bombay.(REF)
-- The obvious fact that the WORDS "Paheri", "Pari", "Pairi", and "Piri" are linguistically related ("pear" and "pera" may belong there too), does not mean that mangoes bearing those words in their names are the same or similar varieties.  So 'Paheri' (Bombay), 'Son Pari', and 'White Pari', should not be confounded.(REF)

« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 10:44:55 AM by starch »
- Mark

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: September 13, 2015, 08:48:19 AM »
This chart needs to be taken for a grain of salt for one reason, trees can have differing characteristics and results when grown in different locations (Florida,  California,  Arizona,  etc.), so what may be accurate for a variety grown in Florida may not be the same elsewhere.   Also kerp in mind if top we orking scions onto true mature trees, none of the above may apply.
- Rob

starch

• Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: September 13, 2015, 09:38:27 AM »
This chart needs to be taken for a grain of salt for one reason, trees can have differing characteristics and results when grown in different locations (Florida,  California,  Arizona,  etc.), so what may be accurate for a variety grown in Florida may not be the same elsewhere.   Also kerp in mind if top we orking scions onto true mature trees, none of the above may apply.

Rob, completely agreed. And in fact I made that very clear in the disclaimer before the table, the part in bold at the top of the table: http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=17443.msg221719#msg221719
- Mark

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: September 13, 2015, 10:03:22 AM »

So true.  We have a lot of mango growers in Texas which has a shorter growing season than S. Florida.  So, call me crazy, but I'm putting in Sweet Tart in the greenhouse after pulling a Rio Red grapefruit tree that is not very productive. 

I hear that Sweet Tart is a moderate grower and a rather smaller tree for Florida growers?  True or not? 

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: September 13, 2015, 10:56:33 AM »

So true.  We have a lot of mango growers in Texas which has a shorter growing season than S. Florida.  So, call me crazy, but I'm putting in Sweet Tart in the greenhouse after pulling a Rio Red grapefruit tree that is not very productive. 

I hear that Sweet Tart is a moderate grower and a rather smaller tree for Florida growers?  True or not?

No, I do not see it as a smaller tree.  It seems to be an upright grower and while may be slowed when let to fruit when young, i would say its moderately vigorous.   Grown in your locaton and in a greenhouse with pruning, you may be able to keep in check for a while.  Ultimately what it will turn into as a mature tree is the unknown.
- Rob

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: September 13, 2015, 02:03:02 PM »
That table is very nice. The fact that it includes input from various members really helps. You should put it in a google document (eg, a spreadsheet) and just have members update it on their own.
Jeff  :-)

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: September 13, 2015, 02:04:13 PM »
Sweet Tart was listed as a "compact grower" in zill's price list, but my experience has been that it's upright and reasonably vigorous.
Jeff  :-)

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: September 13, 2015, 02:56:05 PM »
Tomato mango is another compact little mango tree.  A mature Tree is  8 x 6.5 . The fruit is small and flat like a tomato. About the size of Anwar Ratol Manohar, strong , sweet, spice flavor  with little  to no fiber. This one was one of Jim Nietzel and Leo Manual favorite in 2013 La Habra tasting.

Mother tree
25 years old

« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 03:17:05 PM by JF »

starch

• Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: September 13, 2015, 05:42:04 PM »
Cultivar Information for the master list of compact mango trees

Cultivar Name: Tomato

Tree Size, Growth Rate, Vigorousness

-- Tomato mango is another compact little mango tree.  A mature Tree is  8 x 6.5 (REF)

-- This is a natural dwarf,(REF)

Productivity and Precociousness

--  it's an alternate bearer heavy one year very light the next(REF)

Ripening Time (Location dependent)

-- early season mango in Socal (August).(REF)

Flavor / Color / Tasting Notes

-- Tomato mango is one of the finest mangos in the area. Leo Manuel, Mango Professor and Jim Nietzel loved it! (REF)

-- The fruit is small and flat like a tomato. About the size of Anwar Ratol Manohar, strong , sweet, spice flavor  with little  to no fiber. This one was one of Jim Nietzel and Leo Manual favorite in 2013 La Habra tasting. (REF)

-- I had a tomato mango this morning quite a unique tasting mango....I really enjoyed it. Jim and Leo are lucky to have scion. (REF)

-- I have one graft on a cocktail tree and it's doing great. Only drawback is that's very susceptible to powdery mildew from March to June.... I've seen it lose it's entire crop. I told the owners that sulphur applications are absolutely necessary however they've ignored it and paid the price.(REF)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 12:01:30 PM by starch »
- Mark

starch

• Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: September 13, 2015, 05:48:01 PM »
That table is very nice. The fact that it includes input from various members really helps. You should put it in a google document (eg, a spreadsheet) and just have members update it on their own.

Thanks Cookie Monster! That is a good suggestion, let me think about that one.
- Mark