Author Topic: Remove old tree stumps before planting new fruit trees?  (Read 1311 times)

Tang Tonic

• US Virgin Islands
    • View Profile
Remove old tree stumps before planting new fruit trees?
« on: May 10, 2018, 10:23:49 AM »
So I have a couple Genip trees that I chainsawed down to stumps and I am planning on planting a grafted Butler Avocado close by where the stumps are.  I have tons of Genips on my property so I have been eliminating some of them to have more diversity.

The Genips would grow back if I let them because they shoot up new growth at the stumps all the time.

If I leave the stumps, would they cause problems for the Avocado?  It seems like they could actually be beneficial by pulling up deeper moisture with their intact root systems.    But then again, perhaps they would cause unnecessary competition for moisture and nutrients.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks

BajaJohn

• Mexico, Baja California Sur, Loreto, Hot Desert
    • View Profile
Re: Remove old tree stumps before planting new fruit trees?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2018, 11:08:32 AM »
It's been a while now but I think I cured a similar stump problem by digging down and cutting off the stump about 12" below the surface.
Another stump was encased in a concrete path which discouraged any digging. I hit the emerging shoots with glyphosphate which took about 6 monsths to kill the stump.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 11:11:15 AM by BajaJohn »

luak

• U.S, Arkansas, Eureka Springs,Z7.
    • View Profile
Re: Remove old tree stumps before planting new fruit trees?
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2018, 04:27:32 PM »
I woul never plant a new tree in a that hole, why because some old tree have a tendency to  accumulate  arsenic not good for a young tree.