Author Topic: Sugar Cane Juicer  (Read 58483 times)

cuban007

• AZUCAR!!!
  • Cuida la naturaleza y la naturaleza te cuidara'
    • SoCal, The IE, Zone 9b/SoFla, The Redlands, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Sugar Cane Juicer
« on: April 01, 2012, 03:01:27 PM »
Does anybody know where one can buy a Sugar Cane juicer???

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
Re: Sugar Cane Juicer
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 07:10:29 PM »
Does anybody know where one can buy a Sugar Cane juicer???

You can buy a small trapiche in Miami but I use my Breville juicer. it works great but it's a pain because you have to cut the cane is small pieces and clean the filter constantly or you'll burn out the motor.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 11:25:59 PM »
I do not know where to but it but what you should be looking for is a special press for the sugar cane.  You might want to contact Robert is Here.  They have a press, or at least did the last time I was there, that "makes" the best cup of pure cane juice you ever had.

JF - the problem with putting sugar cane through a juicer (and raw coconut pulp) is as you said it clogs the filter and could or will eventually damage or burn out the motor.
- Rob

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 11:53:55 PM »
I do not know where to but it but what you should be looking for is a special press for the sugar cane.  You might want to contact Robert is Here.  They have a press, or at least did the last time I was there, that "makes" the best cup of pure cane juice you ever had.

JF - the problem with putting sugar cane through a juicer (and raw coconut pulp) is as you said it clogs the filter and could or will eventually damage or burn out the motor.

Rob, I agree. To squeeze a cane it takes me more than half and hour because I have to be super careful with the motor. Another step I have to is filter the guarapo (sugar cane juice) because of bagazo(mash) with a coffee filter or gauze so you can image what trouble I go through to get a pitcher.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 06:58:23 AM »
The best motorized sugar cane presses are made in Thailand. The best hand crank sugar cane presses are made in India and Indonesia. But it's very difficult to find a distributor for any of these in the USA and shipping them from place of origin is very expensive due to heavy weight.
Oscar
Oscar

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 07:30:53 AM »
eBay has a lot of sugar cane juicers.

cuban007

• AZUCAR!!!
  • Cuida la naturaleza y la naturaleza te cuidara'
    • SoCal, The IE, Zone 9b/SoFla, The Redlands, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 11:52:31 AM »
Guys thanx for all of the tips. However, there has to be some distributor in Miami that sells them. As much Guarapo is pressed in Miami you would think they would be more readily available. I will keep looking and taking more suggestions. Thanx again.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 12:20:40 PM »
Guys thanx for all of the tips. However, there has to be some distributor in Miami that sells them. As much Guarapo is pressed in Miami you would think they would be more readily available. I will keep looking and taking more suggestions. Thanx again.
Google is a wonderful thing...
- Rob

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2012, 03:50:20 PM »
Google is a wonderful thing...

That should be the forum's official motto...

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2012, 07:41:04 PM »

C7, I checked out craigslist Miami and found a few juicers, they are not cheap. I would love to find a manual trapiche.

http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/bfs/2863741269.html

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2013, 10:24:31 PM »
I know that there are specialized juicers of all kinds out there. Some are so good that they extract the juice from carrots, prickly-pear-fruit... I never saw a salesperson putting sugar cane cuttings in those juicers, but I can't think of one reason why they wouldn't work for juicing sugar cane. And, if this is the case, that they can extract the juice from sugar cane, then, well, I suddenly want one.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

From the sea

• Big Island Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2013, 10:36:54 PM »
regular juicers make the juice fibrous because they cut the fibers too much, i have tried with the wife's omega, working with a friend on building one seeing if we can do it for less than $600.

NaturalGreenthumb

• CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2013, 09:48:17 AM »
How about this one?

http://youtu.be/4PW9pMyIsnM

Anyone with any info?

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2013, 11:39:34 PM »
I checked out the juicer on their website and it appears to work really well but it costs $579 for the machine. I wonder if an electric one might be cheaper?
Simon

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2013, 12:18:25 AM »
regular juicers make the juice fibrous because they cut the fibers too much, i have tried with the wife's omega, working with a friend on building one seeing if we can do it for less than $600.

Good luck, I believe that there is a demand for a practical and durable, sugar cane juicer, I certainly want one (at the right price).
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2013, 04:01:24 PM »
After doing a lot of research on sugar cane juicers, I went ahead and purchased the manual crank sugar cane juicer from Green Planet Farm.

I have a regular fruit and veggie juicer at home and it kinda sorta works horribly and takes a lot of work and constant cleaning of the filter and you have to remove the skin and cut the cane into tiny pieces like others have mentioned. My regular fruit and veggie juicer was struggling hard and I had to stop after getting about two gulps of juice because I felt the motor on my juicer was about to burn out. I Strongly recommend against using a regular fruit and veggie juicer for sugarcane.

I first had to decide wether I wanted an electric or manual sugar cane press. I wanted a good press that would last a long time and one that would be less likely to break down. After speaking to some workers at the local Asian markets that have electric sugar cane juicers, I found out that good electric juicers can cost $1500-2000 for a good quality juicer. One shop that I spoke to said that their juicer cost approximately $1500 and the motor just burnt out last week. Luckily, they had a backup machine because apparently these electric juicers tend to burn out or just stop working every once in a while.

Due to the high cost and issues with the electric juicers, I decided to get a manual juicer. A manual juicer also works better for me because I intend to bring my juicer to my relatives house and the area where I plan to do some juicing does not have an electrical outlet. I really love the thought of being able to juice cane without having to rely on electricity.

After a quick google search, I found many manual crank sugar cane juicers on the market, mostly from Asian countries. The cheaper ones had really bad reviews and looked like they were poorly built and would not last long at all. I was comparing all of the manual crank juicers to the one from Green a Planet Farm because there is a YouTube video on that model and their machine looked solid and industrial strength. After more googling, I found several other distributors that sold units that looked nearly identical to the one sold by Green Planet Farm and many of these distributors actually listed their machines for a lower price.

I contacted several of theses manufacturers/distributors(most of them are in China) and tried to bargain with them for an even lower price than what they listed their machines for. A couple distributors lowered their price to around $380. One distributor at first said that their price included shipping but he kept changing the price and then said there was additional charge for shipping to my house, I guess the free shipping is to the US only?, and I did not trust the seller so I decided not to use him.

After more chatter with distributors, I found out that some of them would take up to a month if not longer for me to receive my unit. After all this hassle, I thought to myself, what a pain in the ass it would be if I received the unit and it was damaged. I would have to return the unit, possibly with me paying the shipping back to China, or I would possibly have to file a claim with The shipping company and it could be many more months before I would be able to juice any cane.

I finally decided to purchase the unit from Green Planet Farm in order to avoid having to deal with sellers from another country and all the possible pitfalls that may come along dealing with them. There is already a video of the unit from GPF so I know what the unit looks like and how it operates. GPF is also located in the US and they have a customer satisfaction guarantee and a 1 year warranty. They also have replacement parts and I had an excellent experience emailing GPF. They were very nice and answered my emails promptly. They are also a small family owned and operated company and I would much rather give them my business than some of those other sellers that kept giving me the run around.

I recently placed my order and I should receive my unit sometime next week. I will give a review of this unit after I put it together and run some cane through it. Anyone else have a sugarcane press? I'm interested in any tips or advice on juicing sugarcane and if there are certain spare parts that I should have on hand. Cheers,
Simon

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2013, 04:38:21 PM »
Simon,

I sent your box out Monday, so you'll be enjoying chewing on some canes by today, before your press comes in. Hope you like them and let me know how you like those canes later?

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2013, 04:57:36 PM »
Does anyone have some good starter canes for trade? I would love to grow some tasty and juicy sugar cane.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2013, 06:55:30 PM »
Does anyone have some good starter canes for trade? I would love to grow some tasty and juicy sugar cane.
Null,

I have the black/purple/red kind from this post http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=2233.msg105080#msg105080
towards the middle of the page under my user name. Also have a bluish grey green kind, but i don't know why I can't upload picture at the moment. Will, later, when i can upload it. If interested, PM me and I can get you a few segments or a box to try some and grow the rest?

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2013, 07:01:13 PM »
Hey thao,
Thanks so much for the sugarcane. I received the sugarcane already and peeled some of them to sample and they were fantastic! It was easy to peel with a Chinese cleaver and the cane was very juicy, sweet and easy to chew. I will definitely be planting this variety. I put some in moist potting soil with bottom heat and also put some in water. I can't wait to start growing and harvesting these canes.

I kinda put the cart before the horse and purchased the juicer before I even got any sugarcane into the ground. Luckily I have some friends and family that are already growing cane that I can juice.

I pm'ed several members of this forum and they graciously offered me some cuttings for the price of postage. I'm going to try and plant several different varieties to see which one performs best and has the best taste, quantity of juice and highest concentration of sugar. The members of this forum are just awesome!
Simon

PltdWorld

• San Diego, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2013, 07:14:37 PM »
I got a couple different varieties of cane from thao and also from naturalgreenthumb.  The purple cane that thao sent is very attractive (as far as cane goes) and was also very sweet.  I read some posts on planting cane - one guy did a side x side x side experiment - cut segments were placed in 1) native soil, laying down 2) in potting mix, 3) in water.  Water ended up being the best method.  I put mine in water with bottom heat last week... I'll let you know the results.

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2013, 09:25:44 PM »
I got a couple different varieties of cane from thao and also from naturalgreenthumb.  The purple cane that thao sent is very attractive (as far as cane goes) and was also very sweet.  I read some posts on planting cane - one guy did a side x side x side experiment - cut segments were placed in 1) native soil, laying down 2) in potting mix, 3) in water.  Water ended up being the best method.  I put mine in water with bottom heat last week... I'll let you know the results.
Hey thao,
Thanks so much for the sugarcane. I received the sugarcane already and peeled some of them to sample and they were fantastic! It was easy to peel with a Chinese cleaver and the cane was very juicy, sweet and easy to chew. I will definitely be planting this variety. I put some in moist potting soil with bottom heat and also put some in water. I can't wait to start growing and harvesting these canes.

I kinda put the cart before the horse and purchased the juicer before I even got any sugarcane into the ground. Luckily I have some friends and family that are already growing cane that I can juice.

I pm'ed several members of this forum and they graciously offered me some cuttings for the price of postage. I'm going to try and plant several different varieties to see which one performs best and has the best taste, quantity of juice and highest concentration of sugar. The members of this forum are just awesome!
Simon
Thanks Jeff and Simon, glad that both of you enjoy your canes. Good news about canes, is that they are very fast grower, almost no care is needed, except to water often during growing season and feed it once a month or so. Then they should be ready to harvest by Fall-winter time of the first season.

NaturalGreenthumb

• CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2013, 10:27:41 PM »
I can't wait to see the sugar cane jucier simon.

We should all get together with a metal fabricator and make one thats low cost and durable.

Thanks for the sugar cane thao. They were soft and great.

Had a conversation with Richard Rtreid  and I was surprised to know that there is so much information still new and still discoverable in this area.

Being that the  true internet for everyone has only been around for 15 years.

I'm glad I'm on this forum. So much exciting cutting edge stuff happening here on tropicalf fruit.