Author Topic: cherimoya tasting canceled?  (Read 3604 times)

boxturtle

• usa, ca. garden grove Orange County
    • View Profile
cherimoya tasting canceled?
« on: December 20, 2016, 01:29:41 PM »
I was on the site and it says event has been removed when I clicked on it

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
Re: cherimoya tasting canceled?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2016, 02:26:17 PM »
Call to confirm cancellation....moyas are being wiped out with the warmer weather 84F today

SocalKoop

• United States, California, Lake Forest 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2016, 08:42:33 PM »
http://screc.ucanr.edu/?calitem=341214&g=68933

I just visited the site, still looks on to me. Sucks, I'll be in Costa Rica at the time. Poor me...
"Failing to prepare is preparing for failure." -Benjamin Franklin

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2016, 11:26:23 PM »
Maybe they didn't know how to modify it and made a new event and deleted the original one from the website. So your old link to the event says the event is removed (from the website).

See you folks there, hopefully.

Bhkkatemoya

• San diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2016, 01:21:44 AM »
Glad to see this open invitation.  Hopefully it's on so I can come.  Maybe this will change my view about cherimoya being the superior fruit compare to atemoya. 

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2016, 11:54:41 PM »
Their atemoya collection is pretty bad from what I recall. I still haven't had the opportunity to taste the good 6 pounder african pride I was told about. Others may have a nice fragrance and large fruit, but are watery.

Guayaba

• USA, California, San Diego, 10b Sunset 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2016, 08:13:40 AM »
Let us know if you are planning on attending the Cherimoya tasting on January 13th!  It would be great to connect with other forum members and learn a bit from you.  I am planning on attending and this will be my first real tasting comparison.  Have they had Atemoyas at the tasting in the past, or just Cherimoyas?  It would be interesting to compare the two types with more varieties.  I recently had a Dr. White Cherimoya and compared that with an African Pride Atemoya at the same time.  The Dr. White was very sweet and creamy, no grainy texture. The African Pride was not as sweet, and a bit watery tasting as Fyliu pointed out with some of the other Atemoyas.
Bob

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2016, 12:30:22 PM »
 I think just cherimoya for the tasting. One year they had atemoyas for people to take home, and that's when I heard about the good African pride.

Before they started doing tastings in Irvine, a couple of CRFG chapters used to get fruits from there and do chapter tastings. I tasted several varieties of atemoya that year and none compared to cherimoyas. They have a later season so it may not be a fair comparison. I might have a few photos. Anyway, word got out about the popularity of the event and the people in Irvine decided they would do it themselves and it'd be a good year to year survey of variety rankings and a little fundraiser for the research station.

If you didn't already know, bring $10 or $20 in case they have extra fruit you can take home. Maybe a little extra in case the price changed. Some of that fruit might not ripen correctly at home, so it's a good deal for the weight, but sometimes not.

Bhkkatemoya

• San diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2016, 01:29:51 PM »
I emailed the person on the flyer.  Event is on. Hope to meet some of our forum members there.

Frank- will you there? I'd love to buy some scions from you if possible. 

Guayaba

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2016, 08:19:51 PM »
I think just cherimoya for the tasting. One year they had atemoyas for people to take home, and that's when I heard about the good African pride.

Before they started doing tastings in Irvine, a couple of CRFG chapters used to get fruits from there and do chapter tastings. I tasted several varieties of atemoya that year and none compared to cherimoyas. They have a later season so it may not be a fair comparison. I might have a few photos. Anyway, word got out about the popularity of the event and the people in Irvine decided they would do it themselves and it'd be a good year to year survey of variety rankings and a little fundraiser for the research station.

If you didn't already know, bring $10 or $20 in case they have extra fruit you can take home. Maybe a little extra in case the price changed. Some of that fruit might not ripen correctly at home, so it's a good deal for the weight, but sometimes not.

Okay good to know Fyliu.  I will be ready to get my fill of Cherimoya next month.  I will make sure to bring cash to purchase a bag of fruit to take home.  It may not be as good as home grown fruit just right off the tree, but most of it will be better than the Cherimoyas at the store.  One of the reasons I got back into growing my own fruit is that one of my favorite places, the Fruit Shop closed in San Diego.  Now it is much more difficult to get my tropical fruit fix!
Bob

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2016, 08:27:59 PM »
Oh no! The Fruit Shop closed?! I purchased some really nice rambutan for the local CRFG meeting one time, not long after they opened. It's hard to find something like that outside the OC Westminster Vietnamese area.

I might just be going myself, since my wife has an interview that day.

Guayaba

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2016, 09:29:16 PM »
Oh no! The Fruit Shop closed?! I purchased some really nice rambutan for the local CRFG meeting one time, not long after they opened. It's hard to find something like that outside the OC Westminster Vietnamese area.

I might just be going myself, since my wife has an interview that day.

Yup, the Fruit Shop closed about a year ago. :'(  I work about a mile away from where the store was, so it was easy to stop by after work to pick up some good tropical fruits.  Awesome fresh squeezed sugar cane juice, jackfruit, and lychees in season, those were the days!  Maybe with help from growers on this board, I will get enough growing experience to have my tropical fruit fix right in my own backyard!

It would be great to talk with other members at the Cherimoya tasting, hope to see you there!
Bob

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk