Author Topic: Sand into soil  (Read 3036 times)

FMfruitforest

• Tropical Fruit
    • USA, FL,zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Sand into soil
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2020, 05:28:23 AM »
Life’s short, I would go ahead and start by spotting a few areas for fruiting trees you want then i would dump organic compost(from lee countywaste facility) on those areas and mix it throughly with the native soil(digging and mixing in about 2 feet deep)in an effort to improve nutrient quality of the soil in that area.  And yea chop and drop to continue feeding the soil.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2020, 08:37:23 AM »

Looks great and thank you for the offer. I would appreciate the cuttings! I think I'll try a little of everything - grasses and legumes.

Big tree legumes that you chop down would work but avoid weedy types like luecaena.

I have a couple 1gal ice cream bean seedlings. How can they fit in here other than eventually providing shade?
I'd suggest earpod tree (enterolobium contortisiliquum) has performed very well for me. nearly 8 feet in six months transplanted at the beginning of this rainy season. I have been using Leucaena you just have to "religiously" chop/drop before they set seed. Ice cream bean is very slow in our climate but does work, I have quite a few.

TheGivingTree

• Florida Zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2020, 11:45:49 AM »
Appreciate all the feedback, have noted all suggestions and will update with results.

As far as putting trees in the ground, is anyone aware of symbiotic relationships between certain genus, family, etc? Example being planting smaller eugenia species as understories to larger trees with a perrenial peanut ground cover. Or using certain understory plants or groundcovers with certain genus like annonas.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk