Author Topic: Asiminaholics Anonymous  (Read 107043 times)

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
Re: Asiminaholics Anonymous
« Reply #325 on: April 26, 2020, 10:54:38 AM »

NateTheGreat

• SF Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: April 27, 2020, 01:06:00 AM »
I found my first fruitlets today! I have been procrastinating hand pollinating, glad to see I don't need to. I saw what might have been fungus gnats flying around near the flowers.

That tree looks very healthy Luis! I hope mine look like that one day.

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: April 27, 2020, 05:41:50 AM »
I found my first fruitlets today! I have been procrastinating hand pollinating, glad to see I don't need to. I saw what might have been fungus gnats flying around near the flowers.

That tree looks very healthy Luis! I hope mine look like that one day.

Thank's! Good luck!  ;)

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: April 27, 2020, 09:42:32 AM »
Very cool, Nate - what variety is that or is it a seedling?

NateTheGreat

• SF Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: April 27, 2020, 11:50:58 AM »
Very cool, Nate - what variety is that or is it a seedling?

Thank you. It's a Potomac. I bought the six (at the time) Peterson varieties from OGW, but of the seven trees I was sent, three have died. They came in pretty poor condition two years ago; I think I'd have fruit faster if I'd started from seed.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 11:54:36 AM by NateTheGreat »

nexxogen

• Bar, Montenegro
    • View Profile
« Reply #330 on: May 01, 2020, 02:05:16 AM »
Guys, does someone know if scion wood of the Peterson varieties is legal for sale or not? I live in eastern Europe so grafting is the only way for me to get those varieties.

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #331 on: May 01, 2020, 06:18:55 AM »
Guys, does someone know if scion wood of the Peterson varieties is legal for sale or not? I live in eastern Europe so grafting is the only way for me to get those varieties.

Unfortunately due to the patents and trademarks, etc, you will not find anyone “legally” selling Peterson scions. Same with the KSU varieties.  :(

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: May 01, 2020, 10:52:00 AM »
Peterson himself could legally sell scions.  I don't know though, if he would be interested in doing so.  At the very least, if you try to communicate with him, you should provide, in English, a complete set of details of your country's plant importation requirements.
Har

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: May 01, 2020, 12:12:50 PM »
Pawpaw fruitlets...

nexxogen

• Bar, Montenegro
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: May 04, 2020, 04:23:07 AM »
Peterson himself could legally sell scions.  I don't know though, if he would be interested in doing so.  At the very least, if you try to communicate with him, you should provide, in English, a complete set of details of your country's plant importation requirements.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm just a hobbyist with a few trees, and this much hassle is definitely something more suited to someone who would want to grow and sell pawpaws on a much larger scale.

nexxogen

• Bar, Montenegro
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: May 04, 2020, 04:26:57 AM »
I have found out about this nursery that specializes in pawpaws, very close to my country. They have a bunch of varieties, so I was wondering if anyone who has tried any of these could give their impression and maybe recommend some.

http://asiminafruit.eu/sorte/

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #336 on: May 04, 2020, 10:16:13 AM »
I have found out about this nursery that specializes in pawpaws, very close to my country. They have a bunch of varieties, so I was wondering if anyone who has tried any of these could give their impression and maybe recommend some.

Wow, that nursery boasts an amazing selection. I hope it's accurate and that you can get some of these.

if they truly have Jerry's Big Girl, that should be at the top of your list. From what I have been told, Jerry considered this his best creation out of many amazing varieties.
Basically Jerry's and Peterson's varieties have won the pawpaw contests for the last many years, with a only a few exceptions.

Many of the other varieties on this site are older, not-so-great cultivars. Many i have never heard of, like Georgia and Belle.

If it were me, I would get Jerry's Big Girl, Maria's Joy, Lehman 275-56 (Benny's Favorite), Shenandoah, Susquehanna, Wabash

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: May 04, 2020, 01:36:05 PM »

Wow, that nursery boasts an amazing selection. I hope it's accurate and that you can get some of these.

if they truly have Jerry's Big Girl, that should be at the top of your list. From what I have been told, Jerry considered this his best creation out of many amazing varieties.
Basically Jerry's and Peterson's varieties have won the pawpaw contests for the last many years, with a only a few exceptions.

Many of the other varieties on this site are older, not-so-great cultivars. Many i have never heard of, like Georgia and Belle.

If it were me, I would get Jerry's Big Girl, Maria's Joy, Lehman 275-56 (Benny's Favorite), Shenandoah, Susquehanna, Wabash
Hello my friend! I will try to get Jerry’s Big Girl, Maria's Joy and Al horns...

broncn

• Saluda, VA 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: May 04, 2020, 09:53:26 PM »
Just want to add I bought Peterson variety scion wood through England's Fruit and Nut Tree Nursery in Kentucky. He charges a bit extra for the Trade Marked wood so I assume he has an arrangement with Neal Peterson.

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #339 on: May 04, 2020, 10:00:06 PM »
Just want to add I bought Peterson variety scion wood through England's Fruit and Nut Tree Nursery in Kentucky. He charges a bit extra for the Trade Marked wood so I assume he has an arrangement with Neal Peterson.

I wonder if that’s a new thing. Last year I asked for Shenandoah scions because it was on his scion list, the only Peterson on it.
He replied he could not sell Peterson scions, just trees.  :o

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: May 05, 2020, 11:36:25 AM »
Sunflower pawpaw...

hand with 6 fruits

hands with 5 fruits

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #341 on: May 05, 2020, 12:16:08 PM »
Awesome Luis!

Remind me - is this your first big fruiting on the Sunflower?

Also - do you plan to do any thinning of the fruits?

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: May 05, 2020, 01:48:24 PM »
Awesome Luis!

Remind me - is this your first big fruiting on the Sunflower?

Also - do you plan to do any thinning of the fruits?
Hello my friend! Yes it's the first time. Last year i got 5 very small fruits. This year any flower gets polinated!

Well i will have to thinning i think... the tree will not hold so many fruits!

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #343 on: May 05, 2020, 02:18:19 PM »
Speaking of thinning, I just found one of my Shenandoah baby fruits has been sawed in half:

It’s a clean cut. I had thinned this cluster to one fruitlet, and it was about pinto bean sized.

What in the world?!?

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: May 05, 2020, 03:51:31 PM »
Speaking of thinning, I just found one of my Shenandoah baby fruits has been sawed in half:

It’s a clean cut. I had thinned this cluster to one fruitlet, and it was about pinto bean sized.

What in the world?!?
Sad... :-\

usirius

• Never give up!
    • Southern Germany, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: May 05, 2020, 03:57:04 PM »

What in the world?!?

That's too bad. My guess is that an insect ate the small fruit. Probably the other half will die. I hope that other fruits have formed and the monster does not get an appetite for them as well;-) My Susquehanna from last year is not blooming yet, I hope she will do so next year.
„May your choices reflect your hopes, not your fears.“ N. Mandela

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #347 on: May 05, 2020, 05:05:21 PM »
Yeah I just caught a Japanese beetle inside one of my flowers, so perhaps he ate the fruitlet.

Luis - I haven’t looked at those videos yet but folks with the North American Pawpaw Growers are beginning to recommend thinning all clusters to only 2 fruits each. Not sure of all the reasons that are behind that. Just FYI

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: May 05, 2020, 05:52:54 PM »
Yeah I just caught a Japanese beetle inside one of my flowers, so perhaps he ate the fruitlet.

Luis - I haven’t looked at those videos yet but folks with the North American Pawpaw Growers are beginning to recommend thinning all clusters to only 2 fruits each. Not sure of all the reasons that are behind that. Just FYI
Yes i was thinking 2 or 3 max fruit per hand...

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: May 05, 2020, 07:04:36 PM »
They are thining the pawpaws so that the fruits get bigger.
Sunflower makes a lot of fruit but the fruits stay small because they are too manny .
Not all the pawpaws need to be thinned.Somme trees make just a few fruits ( unlike Sunflower)and can grow them well to maturity.
Watering is also important.