Author Topic: Pina Colada Mango  (Read 5254 times)

MangoCountry

• Southeast Florida 10a/b
    • View Profile
Pina Colada Mango
« on: June 11, 2018, 11:30:20 PM »
For some reason (I'm addicted to seeking out and purchasing mango trees) I've been wanting to add a Pina Colada mango to my collection. I have never tried this fruit. I have a Coconut Cream and a Pickering, both having a coconutty flavor. If you've sampled this fruit Is this variety unique enough or even worth it for that matter. I'm not concerned with the supposed low production or lack of vigor.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 11:36:10 PM by MangoCountry »

koundog

• U.S FL,Vero Beach 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Pina Colada Mango
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 12:26:11 AM »
It’s alright middle of the pack for me

RodneyS

• Cerritos, CA (Zone 11a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018, 04:46:00 AM »
Zill E-4 and M-4 are supposed to be great coconut-flavored mangoes. 

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2018, 07:40:07 AM »
Pina Colada is incredible and definitely worth it.

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2018, 07:49:48 AM »
What Squam said.   8)

MangoCountry

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2018, 09:23:26 AM »
Do you have any of those trees for sale Alex? The only place I can find it is Excalibur and Id rather not go there.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2018, 09:48:42 AM »
Is Pina Colada seed poly-embryonic or not? All input appreciated for an experiment.

MangoCountry

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2018, 11:13:22 AM »
Pina Colada is polyembryonic

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2018, 12:21:24 PM »
ALEX will you have PC fruit for sale this season ?

Thanks Ed
Zone 10

kc_moses

• Lake Worth, FL, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2018, 02:49:53 PM »
Do you have any of those trees for sale Alex? The only place I can find it is Excalibur and Id rather not go there.

Out of curiosity why would you rather not go to Excalibur? I'm starting to look for alternative nursery as well since Excalibur experience has been frustrating.

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2018, 03:04:13 PM »
Pina Colada is polyembryonic
But how many times have you seen this? From what I have read here some of the new Zill mangoes seeds can sprout poly-embryonic sometimes and mono-embryonic other times.

paulmctigue

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2018, 04:51:45 PM »
Truly tropical sells trees

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2018, 04:57:06 PM »
Pina Colada is incredible and definitely worth it.

About how old until they start becoming productive and are they regular bearers? 
- Marley

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2018, 05:45:47 PM »
I love PC. One of my favorite mangoes. My tree has an excellent crop this year. Last couple of years, it failed to flower much; it also hasn't grown much -- which is fine by me (less pruning). Mine was on one of those "dwarfing" rootstocks that Gary Zill was playing with.
Jeff  :-)

PurpleAlligator

• USA, Miami, FL, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2018, 06:47:03 PM »
My 4 year old tree has about 10 fruit for the first time ever. It’s not a small tree for me having grown fairly tall despite regular pruning.

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2018, 11:38:36 PM »
I love PC. One of my favorite mangoes. My tree has an excellent crop this year. Last couple of years, it failed to flower much; it also hasn't grown much -- which is fine by me (less pruning). Mine was on one of those "dwarfing" rootstocks that Gary Zill was playing with.
I also got Pina Colada tree on same dwarfing root stock from that Zill era. The root stock was a comically and freakish wide diameter. The rootstock was 2" wide with a 1"wide Pina Colada stuck into it. Grafted into it.

Pina Colada trees must be sold on a more conventional root stock these days? So will not be such slow growers? So one would think.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 11:43:36 PM by zands »

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2018, 12:49:12 AM »
I'm not concerned with the supposed low production or lack of vigor.
My tree has an excellent crop this year. Last couple of years, it failed to flower much; it also hasn't grown much -- which is fine by me (less pruning). Mine was on one of those "dwarfing" rootstocks that Gary Zill was playing with.
I also got Pina Colada tree on same dwarfing root stock from that Zill era. The root stock was a comically and freakish wide diameter. The rootstock was 2" wide with a 1"wide Pina Colada stuck into it. Grafted into it.

Pina Colada trees must be sold on a more conventional root stock these days? So will not be such slow growers? So one would think.

I greatly dislike dwarfing root stock and will probably never purchase another mango tree that I know is on dwarfing rootstock. My most disliked tree is my about 5-6 year old planted Pickering. It's still less than 3 1/2 feet from ground to top and it produces way too few mangos for it's spot in the sand in my yard.

In my yard, I think it's best to have trees that will quickly grow through fungus & other disease attacks. It reminds me of citrus and citrus greening/canker etc. The trees need to grow grow grow through any attacks... This dwarfing root stock does not cut it in my opinion... I have no problem trimming a healthy fast growing big tree, but if a small slow growing tree picks up a diseased area, it's hard to remove the area if small & it helps to have plenty of healthy limbs to cut off this affected area.

I would like to see all mangos in pots labeled as to rootstock type so I could avoid buying any dwarfing root stock. This would also make it easier for condo growers to identify & purchase these dwarf trees instead of me.

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2018, 07:24:39 AM »
I also have a PC on one of the experimental rootstocks.  Perfect vigor and size IMHO. 

PC is a flavor bomb.  Much different than CC or Pickering.

It has become a regular bearer for me, with good production over the last 3 seasons. 

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2018, 10:51:58 AM »
I haven't noticed any increased disease issues due to dwarfing rootstock.

I guess this totally depends on situation. If one is only growing a couple of trees and desiring a large shade tree, then a full-size rootstock is more appropriate. However, when one has dozens of mature trees, pruning turns into a literal multi-month chore each and every summer -- which is doubly painful in the hot / humid weather and in addition to the normal maintenance activities (eg, fertilization, spraying, weeding, etc).

There is also a difference of perspective based on where one is in their growing journey. At the outset (the first 5 - 7 years), everyone looks forward to seeing rapid growth on their new trees. But when the maintenance kicks in and becomes the major component of one's free time, perspective tends to take a turn towards looking for less maintenance and more free time :-).

I greatly dislike dwarfing root stock and will probably never purchase another mango tree that I know is on dwarfing rootstock. My most disliked tree is my about 5-6 year old planted Pickering. It's still less than 3 1/2 feet from ground to top and it produces way too few mangos for it's spot in the sand in my yard.

In my yard, I think it's best to have trees that will quickly grow through fungus & other disease attacks. It reminds me of citrus and citrus greening/canker etc. The trees need to grow grow grow through any attacks... This dwarfing root stock does not cut it in my opinion... I have no problem trimming a healthy fast growing big tree, but if a small slow growing tree picks up a diseased area, it's hard to remove the area if small & it helps to have plenty of healthy limbs to cut off this affected area.

I would like to see all mangos in pots labeled as to rootstock type so I could avoid buying any dwarfing root stock. This would also make it easier for condo growers to identify & purchase these dwarf trees instead of me.
Jeff  :-)

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2018, 12:41:30 PM »
I haven't noticed any increased disease issues due to dwarfing rootstock.

I guess this totally depends on situation. If one is only growing a couple of trees and desiring a large shade tree, then a full-size rootstock is more appropriate. However, when one has dozens of mature trees, pruning turns into a literal multi-month chore each and every summer -- which is doubly painful in the hot / humid weather and in addition to the normal maintenance activities (eg, fertilization, spraying, weeding, etc).

There is also a difference of perspective based on where one is in their growing journey. At the outset (the first 5 - 7 years), everyone looks forward to seeing rapid growth on their new trees. But when the maintenance kicks in and becomes the major component of one's free time, perspective tends to take a turn towards looking for less maintenance and more free time :-).

smart man
Brad Spaugh