Author Topic: Planted some lychee seeds  (Read 1185 times)

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
Planted some lychee seeds
« on: June 25, 2018, 12:35:04 PM »

Really just bored but saved some seeds from some of the lychees I ate this season that looked interesting and of varying sizes. Numbered them and the pots accordingly maybe see if some leaf variations come about will be first to note, then I’ll circle back in 30 years with the fruit updates 😭

-Joep450

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Planted some lychee seeds
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2018, 03:23:17 PM »
Hey Joe, the atrophied seeds won’t sprout but good luck with the fully formed seeds. I have a bunch of seeds growing as well. 

Simon

baccarat0809

• Sunny Orlando, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2018, 04:03:23 PM »

I started 12 of them about a month ago in red solo cups.  Of the 12 seeds I had all germinated but something went wrong five of them as they died right after pushing through the soil but by the looks of it something may have eaten them.  I gave two of them to a neighbor and have 5 left as two of the pots have a double and one of the pots here is a single.  I will take Simon's previous recommendations and graft the two together when they get a little bit bigger so i have 2 tap roots going down and a better chance to flourish and after I end up with a double root stock I may try to graft a named variety.

I have no idea what type the originals were except they were incredibly juicy, tasty and organic and came from the Whole Foods in Atlamonte Springs, FL.

I don't mind waiting 5 to 8 years for a seedling to produce but with these guys possibly taking 20-30 years, well, thats a bit much.

Good luck and keep us up to date on the results.

Mvule101

• Arua, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2018, 02:57:44 AM »
I have tried to grow them from seed too. My first attempt was devastated by little black and yellow fruit flies that seemed to suck the sap from the leaves and dry them up.

The second time I am trying and the fruit flies struck again but I am spraying them and they seem to be doing a little better.

shpaz

• Florida/Arizona
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2018, 04:34:46 AM »
I also have tried sprouting them. I planted 10 lychee seeds in pots (peat + perlite mix), along with 10 longan seeds. few lychees germinated but they died soon after pushing out. Most longans germinated but died very soon after pushing as well. No sign of bug damage. Only one longan survived with 4 leaves now but it is sickly looking. Maybe they cant take the 115F heat (they are under 50% shade cloth).

Longans that I germinated indoors that all germinated and are looking good (controlled lighting and controlled temperature.

Interestingly, Sapodilla seedlings are taking the heat like champs. I thought it would be the other way around but what do I know  ;D
Will see it they can take the 120-122F in July.

A passion for things that grow
https://attar-sa.com/

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk