Author Topic: Grapefruit tree - what happened here??  (Read 4434 times)

bradflorida

• Osprey, FL. Zone 10A.
    • View Profile
Grapefruit tree - what happened here??
« on: July 16, 2012, 08:48:53 PM »
My parents just moved into their new Florida home in Sarasota, and their red grapefruit tree produced tons of delicious and healthy looking grapefruits this past winter/spring.  That was without any care whatsoever.  No fertilizer, watering, etc. 

We pruned the tree reasonably, and have applied fertilizer twice in maybe 8 months.  Tree got watered 1x/week supplementally in spring, until rainy season began.  Leaves sprayed with neem oil once in spring. 

My parents just went on vacation, so I checked on their tree.  Apparently, within the course of 1-2 weeks, things went from healthy to very unhealthy.  About 2 weeks ago, fruits were sizing up well, solid healthy green color. 

Here is what I found a few days ago. Is this fungus run wild?  Could this have been from the tons of rain we we got lately?  Any advice would be appreciated :)

Brad

Brad

ShowmeyourKeitts

• View Profile
Re: Grapefruit tree - what happened here??
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 02:22:37 PM »
Melanose? 
If so, copper spray in June/July for prevention.
Greasy spot?
Both?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 02:33:53 PM by ShowmeyourKeitts »

BENDERSGROVE

• BENDER'S TROPICAL GROVE
    • USA, Davie, FL 33331, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 02:35:06 PM »
If some of the leaves look chlorotic it could be citrus greening,but never heard of it happening that fast within a couple of weeks,usually it takes quite a bit longer from what I have seen and heard,here in broward the greening is everywhere.

natsgarden123

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 04:12:16 PM »
leaves may have canker-  fruit doesn't look like it

you an get it tested- call cooperative extension services

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 04:15:46 PM »
Doesn't really look like canker.  Lacking the yellow "halo" around the spots.  Plus, as Nat said, fruit doesn't look like canker damage.

Are the spots on either the top or bottom of the leaves raised ?
- Rob

Dangermouse01

• East coast, Central Florida
    • USA, Palm Bay, FL 32907, Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 04:22:34 PM »
The fruit pictures look like citrus rust mite.
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ch179#FIGURE%204
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/cg002

DM

bradflorida

• Osprey, FL. Zone 10A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 08:29:28 PM »
Thanks guys.  I think it is rust mite.  Now to find a good miticide :)

Brad
Brad

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2012, 11:52:26 PM »
Thanks guys.  I think it is rust mite.  Now to find a good miticide :)

Brad

Mites are difficult to get rid of, and whatever you apply you will have to reapply several times. If you don't want to use harsh chemicals try using wettable sulphur, apply 3 times at 2 week intervals. Make sure to cover whole tree, leaf, underside of leaf. branches, trunk.
Oscar

TropicalFruitHunters

• Bangkok, Thailand
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2012, 07:07:12 AM »
Oscar...have you had good results using sulpher?  I've used horticultural oil before, several applications, and that worked very well for me.  I was having a difficult time getting good coverage and ended up doing a massive prune and defoliation prior to the applications.  This was my large jackfruit in the GH and it was very dense and impossible to get total coverage.  The downside of the hort oil is covering the surfaces of everything around it.  Maybe a sulphur application would not be as messy...for any future needs?  Thanks

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2012, 07:12:56 AM »
I bet endosulphin would work but is it still legal there?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2012, 02:09:06 AM »
Oscar...have you had good results using sulpher?  I've used horticultural oil before, several applications, and that worked very well for me.  I was having a difficult time getting good coverage and ended up doing a massive prune and defoliation prior to the applications.  This was my large jackfruit in the GH and it was very dense and impossible to get total coverage.  The downside of the hort oil is covering the surfaces of everything around it.  Maybe a sulphur application would not be as messy...for any future needs?  Thanks

Jay, i don't have citrus rust mites, but have used wettable sulphur on other types of mites with success. Downside if you have to keep shaking sprayer to keep sulphur well mixed. Also sulphur easily clogs sprayer equipment. Make sure to wash out sprayer very carefully after using it.
Oscar

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2012, 07:29:11 AM »

Jay, i don't have citrus rust mites, but have used wettable sulphur on other types of mites with success. Downside if you have to keep shaking sprayer to keep sulphur well mixed. Also sulphur easily clogs sprayer equipment. Make sure to wash out sprayer very carefully after using it.
...and make sure you run plenty of  "clean" water through the wand to flush out any of the possible leftover residual sulphur.
- Rob

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk