Author Topic: Tree's and floodings  (Read 7472 times)

bangkok

• View Profile
Tree's and floodings
« on: November 27, 2012, 06:03:22 PM »
I got an idea from the thread about Annona's.

My Annona sugarapple will come next week and i m thinking about grafting it on the rootstock from the pond apple. I read that this rootstock can stand floodings which Annona cannot.

My mango NDM also survived the floodings from last year, it was in 60 cm (2feet) of water during 3 weeks. Mango tree's that had been in about 2 metre (7 feet) water all died is what i saw.

I am also growing a jackfruit tree which cannot stand waterflooding. Is there a jackfruit rootstock that can stand floodings?

Are there other fruits that can easy stand floodings for some weeks?

I think many people in Thailand will like to know these things because the floodings might be back because the government didn't do anything yet to prevent them.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Tree's and floodings
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 08:09:51 AM »
I read elsewhere, but now forget where, that most mangos can stand periodic flooding for quite some long time.
Oscar

red durian

• Malaysia, Sabah, Tawau
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 08:27:03 AM »
That is a great question for your location.  I hope you can find answers here.  I would assume that any fruit tree in the Amazon or other flooding deltas would withstand long periods of flooding.  All long periods of flooding are not equal though, with moving water from overflowing rivers being easier to withstand than stagnant water in an unintended pond.

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 12:28:06 PM »
I don't recall us losing a single tree in Vietnam to annual flood (monsoon season May-Oct).  Water level is high but moves very rapidly, they also last 1-2 weeks.  Like RedDurian, I think duration + stagnancy = death.
Tim

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 01:50:32 PM »
remember Ohiojays horror story and photos?

the surviving plants seemed to be guavas.

guavas, Barbados cherry, jaboticaba, miracle fruit, inga species, palm species, like Euterpe and Bactris sp, and many more!

best of luck, don't let flood waters intimidate you.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, 02:00:22 PM »
forgot!

rollinia deliciosa/mucosa is resisant to flood!

so I've come to find

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2012, 02:28:05 PM »
I also don't remember any Floridian posting about losing any mango trees during last flooding there due to hurricane. I believe Harry's place was flooded the longest, but i forget for how many days?
Oscar

TropicalFruitHunters

• USA, Columbus, OH, xxxxx Zone 5b
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2012, 02:29:33 PM »
yeah...flooding is one thing, but being completely under water for weeks is a whole new ballgame.  Now the mango trees at the folks' home recovered whereas the jackfruit did not. 

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2012, 03:09:46 PM »
yeah...flooding is one thing, but being completely under water for weeks is a whole new ballgame.  Now the mango trees at the folks' home recovered whereas the jackfruit did not.

that's a ball game that myrciaria is up for participating in!

so I've illustrated by submerging plants for almost 4 months before they died!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2012, 04:54:37 PM »
I also don't remember any Floridian posting about losing any mango trees during last flooding there due to hurricane. I believe Harry's place was flooded the longest, but i forget for how many days?

I forget how many days also......but I remember it being way too darned long of a time.  I think maybe about a week.  No mangoes or lychees were lost.  The only casualties were in the annona family.  I lost my rollinia seedling, a Gefner atemoya and a Red skinned Sugar Apple seedling.

Edited to correct Red flesh to red skin sugar apple
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 08:24:13 PM by HMHausman »
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

red durian

• Malaysia, Sabah, Tawau
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2012, 07:58:51 PM »
Perhaps the mango trees in 2m of water would have survived on a rootstock of Mangifera quadrifida, a tree I know next to nothing about other than that it is found on "inundated land".

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2012, 08:30:20 PM »
Flood killed a rollinia?

wow.

maybe I'm mistaken and they're more sensitive than I know of.

I had a seedling sitting in water for months and it loved it.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2012, 09:54:31 PM »
There are some durio sp that have root nodes and can breathe underwater for extended periods which would be useful as a rootstock for durians in flood prone areas.

Graft your annonas onto pond apple for stagnant water tolerance.

Garcinias dont mind being flooded for considerable periods. The big 'Achahcha' farm here was 1-2m depp during the big wet not long ago and it resulted in a bumper crop of fruit, though it was a bit washed out in flavour... Every other tree crop nearby was wiped out.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2012, 10:00:25 PM »
yes!

many of the garcinia must be flood tolerant!

I've seen several species that produce long tap roots that stay extremely saturated for over a month.

species like,

vleerackerii
intermedia
brasiliensis
xanthochymous
and more
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2012, 07:21:21 AM »
Perhaps the mango trees in 2m of water would have survived on a rootstock of Mangifera quadrifida, a tree I know next to nothing about other than that it is found on "inundated land".

There are types of regular mango that can survive flooding for several months. Short term flooding of 10-20 days actually is beneficial to mangos in calcerous soils as it improves micro nutrient uptake. Here is a very good paper describing: Responses of Tropical and Subtropical trees to Flooding in Calcerous Soils. The study was done in Florida. Conclusion is that mangos and starfruit are moderately resistant to flooding. The annonas and avocado are susceptible to flooding: ]http://hortsci.ashspublications.org/content/41/3/549.full.pdf[url][/url]
Oscar

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2013, 09:59:44 AM »
Annona reticulata  and squamosa are not resistant to floodings but muriculata (soursop or guanabana) is very resistant.

you can read it here: http://www.fshs.org/Proceedings/Password%20Protected/1998%20Vol.%20111/317-319%20(NUNEZ-ELISEA).pdf
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 10:03:17 AM by bangkok »

Odenwald

• West central Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2020, 12:16:46 PM »
I had flooding Florida Zone 9b back in September and now again after Hurricane Eta. All the trees were under water for a few days, before the water drained away.  The peaches and nectarines did not like the wet conditions and I will have to see if they live after this latest flooding.  In my wettest area I had a Hog Plum, Neem, Barbados Cherry, bananas, Noni, Starfruit and Java Plum.  This area had standing water for 3 weeks. The Hog Plum lost all its leaves and I had to move it to a drier location, (it's now got new leaves), whereas the others were okay and the Java Plum actually thrived and increased in size.   

Jagmanjoe

• USA, Florida, Lakeland, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2020, 03:26:07 PM »
We received almost 6" of rain between yesterday and this morning in Lakeland, FL and I also had issues back in September.  We bought the home about a year ago and thought the property was high and dry.  I planted 9 mango trees, 2 peach trees, and a Cara Cara orange tree.  Then the rains came and the trees were under water for weeks on end.  We definitely lost one peach tree and might have also lost the second one as it does not have any leaves on it.  When I scrape a limb on the second peach tree there is still green underneath so I am hopeful that it will recover.

I have modified the areas around the trees as best I could with 10 inch border that is buried half way in the ground and have mulched heavily leaving a well around the base of the tree.  If it rains to the point that we have heavy standing water there, I plan to use a small pump to get the water out and hopefully keep it at bay to some degree with the mulch and the border.  I did mound up the area where the replaced peach tree was planted also to try to keep it from getting too wet.  Actually, the mango trees seem to have fared reasonably well considering and, I am hoping that once they are more established, any small amounts of standing water will not be harmful.  If it is still an issue next year, I will have to become more creative.

Hopefully storms like Eta are behind us for a while!

Gone tropo

• Durian obsessed
    • Nth Qld Australia, zone 13a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2020, 06:06:31 PM »
bangkok i will have some answers for you over the coming wet season in regards to how mangosteen, pulasan, rambutan and jabotica handle flooding.  My property backs onto a creek and here in Nth QLD australia we get a huge wet season.  Most of these plants will have 8ft + of water over the top of them in the coming few months, i will let you know how they fare.  I will eventually be planting many other various fruit trees in this area I will get to the bottom of what will and wont survive underwater.

sunny

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2020, 01:32:14 AM »
What i have seen is that Mango can survive a flooding of some weeks. They aren't happy with it but survive....

What amazes me more is that a large plumeria can also survive flooding for some weeks. Most of them died after a flooding here but this red flowered one survived.

Frog Valley Farm

• Messages have been disabled here
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2020, 06:50:58 AM »
No news here
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 05:42:37 AM by Frog Valley Farm »

Saone

• Central vietnam
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2020, 08:33:57 AM »
I don't recall us losing a single tree in Vietnam to annual flood (monsoon season May-Oct).  Water level is high but moves very rapidly, they also last 1-2 weeks.  Like RedDurian, I think duration + stagnancy = death.

You in Vietnam? And just had my land and house flooded from the bug storms in the center a few weeks ago. Several newer trees died from the high water. Heard jackfruit don't like water logging.

Saone

• Central vietnam
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2020, 08:37:25 AM »
There are some durio sp that have root nodes and can breathe underwater for extended periods which would be useful as a rootstock for durians in flood prone areas.

Graft your annonas onto pond apple for stagnant water tolerance.

Garcinias dont mind being flooded for considerable periods. The big 'Achahcha' farm here was 1-2m depp during the big wet not long ago and it resulted in a bumper crop of fruit, though it was a bit washed out in flavour... Every other tree crop nearby was wiped out.

How you like the achacha? When they open the borders again gonna try and get my aussie friend to bring me some here in Vietnam.

Odenwald

• West central Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2020, 03:38:24 PM »
Thank you Frog Valley Farm I always find wisdom in your comments and will think about more wild areas, but I’m also going to dig some swales.  Jagmanjoe hang in there. It was worse thus year than last year.

Frog Valley Farm

• Messages have been disabled here
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2020, 06:16:02 PM »
No news here.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 05:36:55 AM by Frog Valley Farm »