Author Topic: Ruby Supreme Guava Success in Miami, Fl  (Read 2450 times)

Honest Abe

• Biscayne Park, FL
    • View Profile
Ruby Supreme Guava Success in Miami, Fl
« on: August 11, 2019, 01:15:07 AM »
I had to share my intense satisfaction with my grafted “Ruby Supreme” Guava. I bought the small
Tree in a 3 gallon pot in April of 2018 from a local nursery. I immediately transplanted it to a 15 gallon pot on my midtown-Miami condo balcony and nurtured it. I then bought my first house and sold the condo and planted the Guava in my yard in a small
Neighborhood close to North Miami. It began to fruit in August of 2018 and continued to grow, blossom and fruit for a year straight and counting. The small tree has produced 17 of the most delicious guavas and has grown exponentially fast. I’m STOKED. I prune the low branches that seem to gather the only powdery mildew and white mold (I suppose because they are closest to the damp ground) and I keep good air circulation. I have used no pesticides or fungicides, only pruning and I’ve fertilized with 10-10-10 a couple times and osmocote plus once. I THANK YOU ALL HERE FOR THE WEALTH OF KNOWLEDGE THAT I READ NIGHTLY. No fruit flies YET...
-Capt. Abie Raymond
Miami, Fl

Before (APRIL 2018) :

Present (August 2019):

forumfool

• Canton, GA 7b
    • View Profile
Re: Ruby Supreme Guava Success in Miami, Fl
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2019, 09:47:27 AM »
Nice... congrats on the house

Samu

• North Tustin, So. California, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2019, 03:26:36 PM »
Looks like you are on your way to becoming tropical fruit tree growers, congratulations!
Glancing at your photo, seems like you got plenty of open space available and having the favorable climate where you live, a great combinations to growing more fruit trees!
Wish you more successes in the future!
Sam

Malia

• Florida, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2019, 11:31:38 PM »
Congratulations! Re potential whiteflies: I used soapy water and a very soft toothbrush. Brushed each and every leaf with soap. It looks like they are gone for good. No whitefly since April. It might be a lot of work in your case (tree is bigger). But a thing to consider.

mangomanic12

• Phoenix, AZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2019, 11:31:07 AM »
Great for you Abe. Keep it up man. As another poster said and i was noticing you seem to have a lot of open spaces to plant some more trees other than guava. Do you like mango or avocados?
You have a great climate man.

Plant a Dwarf Hawaiian ( early mango) , a Guava mango , Maha Chanok  ( mid season)   and a maybe later mangoes like a Beverly , Keitt, Honey Kiss or Neelam

As for avocados i know you guys in Florida have a lot to choose from.
When you have a chance next mango season go to Zill High performance plants ( Gary Zill), Go to Walter Zill's place , Tropical Acres Farms ( Alex's place) , Truly Tropical ( Chris' place) and buy and sample fruits / ask questions on varieties / production/ season and growth habits of certain trees ..accumulate info and make your decision..but taste lots of fruits before you plant whatever you like.

You are so lucky..you have the right climate to grow many , many tropical fruits. Btw congratulations on your new home and your lovely Guava tree.

Mike

Forester

• Zone 4 Russia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2019, 11:49:34 AM »
Abe is very cool! Judging by the photo you have a lot of free space, I would plant a lot of interesting fruits. I envy your climate, unfortunately in Russia it is impossible to grow on the street.
❀ Sergey ❀

JulianoGS

• USA, South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2019, 04:18:00 PM »
Great for you Abe. Keep it up man. As another poster said and i was noticing you seem to have a lot of open spaces to plant some more trees other than guava. Do you like mango or avocados?
You have a great climate man.

Plant a Dwarf Hawaiian ( early mango) , a Guava mango , Maha Chanok  ( mid season)   and a maybe later mangoes like a Beverly , Keitt, Honey Kiss or Neelam

As for avocados i know you guys in Florida have a lot to choose from.
When you have a chance next mango season go to Zill High performance plants ( Gary Zill), Go to Walter Zill's place , Tropical Acres Farms ( Alex's place) , Truly Tropical ( Chris' place) and buy and sample fruits / ask questions on varieties / production/ season and growth habits of certain trees ..accumulate info and make your decision..but taste lots of fruits before you plant whatever you like.

You are so lucky..you have the right climate to grow many , many tropical fruits. Btw congratulations on your new home and your lovely Guava tree.

Is guava mango productive a tree in Florida?

Mike
Be very careful and mindful of what you sow, for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap.

mangomanic12

• Phoenix, AZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2019, 06:01:25 PM »
JulianoGS , Check out Truly Tropical video on the Guava mango it features Walter Zill who gives you the story on this mango.

Mike.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2019, 07:33:50 PM »
I have gone to a lower vase form for guava pruning with fruiting branches concentrated about breast height. The video linked below shows some details of a commercial guava operation with trees in harvest and how they prune. It is in Spanish but you can set closed caption "on" and auto translate for your language. The video is very good and the grower is sharing what he has learned over 20 years. They look for two main crop cycles per year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epk8R4HsYUg

growing guavas means dealing with fruit fly, at least here in Florida. You can beat them with reusable bags, these are $0.15 USD each.
https://www.amazon.com/SOSAM-Organza-Drawstring-Pouches-Jewelry/dp/B07D1R3DXQ/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?keywords=COTOSEY+Sosam+100PCS+6x9+Inches+Organza+Drawstring+Pouches+Jew&qid=1565652726&s=hpc&sr=1-1-fkmr0

FloridaFruitGeek

• USA, Florida, North Marion County, USDA Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Florida Fruit Geek
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2019, 01:01:18 PM »
I love the flavor and aroma of 'Ruby Supreme' guava. But when I tried growing it in the ground in my greenhouse, I found that this variety is very sensitive to nematodes. Josh Jamison in Lake Wales, FL says he's been getting good results grafting nematode-sensitive guava varieties onto cas guava, Psidium friedrichsthalianum, which he says is nematode-resistant. I just recently got a cas guava from Josh, and I plan on experimenting with this technique - guava is a "must-have" fruit for me!

Honest Abe

• Biscayne Park, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2019, 10:51:14 PM »
Thanks for the advice and kind words y’all!

Mike, I love Mangoes,  can’t stop thinking about them. So far I’ve got two in the ground:

-Nom doc mai (for just a very sweet creamy mango) from Shanghri-la farms in homestead
-Baileys Marvel( for a beautiful “MIAMI mango” type flavor”) my wife lives them. From Julian at lara farms

I’ve also got a tiny Maha Chanok in a 1 gallon from lara farms. (Gunna be a WHILE I think)
Mike,  I tasted over 50 varieties last year at the Fruit and Spice park and Maha Chanok was by far my favorite. I would LOVE to try the dwarf Hawaiian, sugar loaf, lemon zest, lemon meringue, fruit punch and coconut cream, maybe next year at truly tropical.

But I’m definitely sold on my Baileys Marvel for MIAMI mango taste, NDM for sweet and Maha for exiting and complex.

As for avocados, I’ll buy them.

I’ve got the space! Just. Need to pick 2 more great varieties! Thanks again!

Honest Abe

• Biscayne Park, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2019, 11:02:52 PM »
Forester,
             As far as Interesting goes, A friend of mine Adam Coff( a member here ) gave me the following spread to add to my stuff that I have in ground or potted:

Pitangatuba
Pitomba
Cedar bay cherry
Achachairu
Cempejack (hybrid )
Kona sugarloaf white pineapples
Mamey sapote (key west/ pantin)
Lemon drop mangosteen (G. Intermedia)in 15 gallon pot
Miracle fruit -15 gallon pot
Nelita (Mexican Garcinia) 1 gallon pot
lucs Garcinia -1 gallon pot
Baileys Marvel mango
Nom doc mai mango
Maha Chanok mango in 1 gallon pot

acoff87

• south florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2019, 02:29:43 PM »
Your already hooked brother. Remember just keep planting and encroach on the open space. Ask the wife for forgiveness later 😂