Author Topic: Indian Mango season 2018  (Read 10971 times)

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Indian Mango season 2018
« on: March 24, 2018, 11:51:46 AM »
Any news about the 2018 Indian Mango Season? Here’s what I’ve gathered so far:

According to MangosZZ.com, the season starts in 22 days.
They are introducing a new variety called Swarna Rekha( AKA Sunderi) from Andhra Pradesh.

Here’s a link to last years thread: http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=23153.msg287468#msg287468

I’ll update this thread as I get more info.

Simon

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
Re: Indian Mango season 2018
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2018, 06:19:30 PM »
I wonder why they dont get Gulab Khas, it has exceptional keeping quality on top of being excellent no. 1 mango.

swapnil.tailor

• san jose, ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2018, 07:17:30 PM »
Seems too early for kesar, Alphonso and begampally, which we normally find I our local Indian store. Where do you guys buy your Indian mangos from? I am interested to try coconut cream as saw lot of good things and seems better than kesar.

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2018, 10:23:38 PM »
Indian store ia best and cheapest bet for indian mangoes. Coconut cream or lemon zest are Zill mangoes not available in markets unless you get someone from Florida to se you. Kesar from India ate phenomenal.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2018, 10:23:49 AM »
I get my online Mangos from Mangozz.com I get the rest of my Mangos by growing them myself or from my friends orchards around San Diego.

Simon

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2018, 11:00:20 AM »
I get my online Mangos from Mangozz.com I get the rest of my Mangos by growing them myself or from my friends orchards around San Diego.

Simon

you may be better off driving to Cerritos and buying from Indian stores. They always have Alphonso, Kesar, Bengalpali, and few others. However, Paki mangoes suck, for whatever reason they turn out over 50% fermented whether you buy from online or in store.

swapnil.tailor

• san jose, ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2018, 01:59:02 PM »
online looks expensive  (i.e. $70 for a box, double the price of store one). We get kesar for $35-40/box (~10 mangos / box) in indian store till the supply last (2-3 months).

FruitFool

• san diego, ca, USDA zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2018, 02:52:39 PM »
San Diego Indian grocery store (Miramar Cash and Carry) has Alphonso, Kesar, Bangalpali when in season.

-FruitFool

RodneyS

• Cerritos, CA (Zone 11a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2018, 03:25:20 PM »

Simon

you may be better off driving to Cerritos and buying from Indian stores. They always have Alphonso, Kesar, Bengalpali, and few others. However, Paki mangoes suck, for whatever reason they turn out over 50% fermented whether you buy from online or in store.

Little India is technically in Artesia, which neighbors Cerritos.  Pioneer Cash & Carry is a good place to pick them up when available

noochka1

• Miramar, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2018, 03:54:05 PM »
I've been checking out Mangozz.  I'd love to get some Mulgova, but I'm concerned that the fruit might be irradiated.  Do any of you know?

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2018, 05:57:55 PM »
I've been checking out Mangozz.  I'd love to get some Mulgova, but I'm concerned that the fruit might be irradiated.  Do any of you know?

They are all irradiated as per USDA quarantine regulations.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2018, 06:06:18 PM »
Sorry everyone I completely left out the local Indian supermarkets like Miramar Cash and Carry.

I only order online from Mangos.com if there is a new variety I would like to try or if I’m trying to get early Indian Mangos. The local Indian supermarkets tend to get their shipments after Mangos.com. My issue with ordering online is that the price is very high and you are not able to inspect the fruit before your purchase.

At Miramar Cash and Carry, they open up the box and let you inspect and swap out any fruit that you don’t want.

I was really hoping that we would already have the Jumbo Kesars grown in the Dominican Republic
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JCnW56M77Yw

The Indian Mangos ordered online are irradiated.

Simon

noochka1

• Miramar, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2018, 07:01:11 PM »

Will you have Mulgova this year, Alex?  I know it's not the same as the Indian one....but I hear it's pretty darned good.

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2018, 07:54:37 PM »

Will you have Mulgova this year, Alex?  I know it's not the same as the Indian one....but I hear it's pretty darned good.

Yes It’s  not the same and yes it’s excellent. I hope to have some even though the trees aren’t blooming well.

ajeshcool47

• India,Kerala,Ernakulam,Tropical
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/ajeshthoppil.tr
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2018, 12:12:13 AM »
hi, the Spoth Indian season of mango  has already started, season will be ending in june... ;)

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2018, 09:18:14 PM »
I just called Miramar Cash and Carry to ask them when they are expecting their Indian Mangos and they said they may get them in about two weeks. This is not a guaranteed date but they should be showing up soon.

Simon

swapnil.tailor

• san jose, ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2018, 11:44:57 PM »
Looks like kesar is going to be available this weekend in San Jose, CA. Called local Indian grocery and they confirmed.

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2018, 11:58:03 PM »
I have found first batch of mangoes from India not to be good, not even 50% of what we get in middle or last shipment. They rush to get first batch out and I was disappointed in the past.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2018, 02:35:32 PM »
Yes Behl, I agree. The early season Fruit is not as good as mid to late season Fruit but it’s been a long wait and I’m eager to sample the first Indian Mangos of the season.

I picked up a case of Kesar for $35 and a case of Alphonso for $38 at Miramar Cash and Carry.

Simon

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2018, 02:56:08 PM »
Simon, keen to know how they turn out. by the way, you waste your money on Alphonso here, in 10 years I am yet to be wowed,  they have bad internal breakdown and spongy tissue issue. you should try Bengalpali if they show up.

ajeshcool47

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2018, 12:55:17 AM »
Two days back I got some Priyoor mangos, they are 75 percent ripe on the tree , will keep them indoor for one week till the skin turn to yellow.. One main speciality of this mango is that it is not at all sour in this condition..

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2018, 10:40:43 AM »

Two days back I got some Priyoor mangos, they are 75 percent ripe on the tree , will keep them indoor for one week till the skin turn to yellow.. One main speciality of this mango is that it is not at all sour in this condition..

Ajesh,

Have heard so much about Priyoor mangoes, but by the time I visit Kerala in June/July, they are all gone. All I get to taste are Neelams. :( 

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2018, 05:58:30 PM »
The Kesar Mangos are still mostly green and have not softened up yet. The Alphonso’s are yellowing up nicely. I cut up three fruit and they tasted good, not great. They have the classic Indian resin taste, especially near the skin and the flesh is a nice orange color. The ripe fruit doesn’t have much of a smell but once you cut the Fruit open, you can smell the Indian resin. The fruit tasted sweet even though the fruit only had a Brix of 16%. This is a pretty low reading and the later fruit should get much better in quality.

Simon

RollingInTheWeeds

• USA, CA., South Bay area of Los Angeles, USDA 10b, Sunset 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2018, 10:57:36 PM »

Simon

Little India is technically in Artesia, which neighbors Cerritos.  Pioneer Cash & Carry is a good place to pick them up when available

Ooh, thanks for sharing this info.  I've always relied on my local Indian grocery store; but this is the first I've ever hears of Kesar.  I'll definitely try it!

ajeshcool47

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2018, 11:57:20 PM »
dear mangokothiyan, Priyoor is an early season variety,its season is March -April..there are a lot of Priyoor trees around Thrissur..Seedlings are true to type...thank u