Author Topic: May 19 and In ground Satsumas not blooming yet  (Read 3878 times)

Tom

• USA, Alabama,Montgomery, zone 8
    • View Profile
May 19 and In ground Satsumas not blooming yet
« on: May 19, 2014, 01:45:33 PM »
I have three in ground Satsumas that still have not bloomed. A friend has two in ground doing the same thing......nothing. These trees were not hurt bad this winter and they look great but no blooms. The Satsumas in pots are doing much better. I think it must be heat or cold (slow to warm up in ground) related. Thanks. Tom

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Re: May 19 and In ground Satsumas not blooming yet
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 10:03:23 PM »
Tom, was your Satsuma well watered and well fertilized?  Though moderately drought tolerant, once established, they MUST have regular applications of water for good fruit production.  REGULAR fertilization is also required as they are heavy feeders. Brown Select requires full sun, grows and produces best in areas with hot summers and cool winters. They will tolerate temperatures well below freezing for a few hours. - Millet.

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 10:16:09 PM »
Millet, thanks for the reply. Yes all those requirements were met. They are either pouting or at least reluctant to flush. We had a very wet and cool spring. I think the pots did well because they warmed up better but that's just my guess. Hot summer is about to start. Maybe I will still get a flush in time. Thanks. Tom

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 01:22:33 PM »
Satsumas are one mandarin variety that has a tendency to alternate bearing.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 03:50:23 PM »
Bush2Beach, thank you for the alternate bearing explanation. It is always a great day when one learns something new.  Following up On Bush2Beach I found this sentence on the Internet site listed below. "Alternate bearing is a serious problem with Satsumas. Fruit thinning is therefore the most vital operation in producing a steady stream of good size fruit.". - Again thank you Bush2Beach - Millet

http://ceventura.ucanr.edu/Com_Ag/Subtropical/Citrus/Miscellaneous/Satsumas_in_New_Zealand_/

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2014, 11:17:08 PM »
Mine aren't alternate bearing. This could have been an on year because I have not had a big crop yet ! I understand alternate bearing but I'm still learning. Thanks. Tom

sugar land dave

• sugar land, tx Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2014, 02:40:43 AM »
I am going to agree with the alternate bearing.  Last year I had 40 fruit on a 6 foot tall tree.  This year I have no fruit on that tree, but new leaves have been replacing all of the old ones and filling in bare branches.

buddinman

• USA,TEXAS. Lumberton, 8, 77657
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2014, 09:54:47 PM »
I have probably 10 satsumas growing in the ground. They produced an excellent crop last year. This year there are very few fruit and very little new growth.  We had fairly cold temperatures the past winter. My friends from the citrus center were here Wednesday and they believe it was the cold that cause the loss of fruit this year.

Yorgos

• USA, Houston, Texas USDA zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2014, 02:21:09 PM »
My satsumas (6 years and 9 years in the ground) alternately bear but they do bear something every year.  I've never had a year with no crop at all.  Interestingly, this years crop looks to be of similar size to last years.
Near NRG Stadium, Houston Texas. USDA zone 9a

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2014, 09:47:51 PM »
I still have very few blooms after very little fruit last year too but the tress look fine after a brutal winter. I went to see Mr Neighbors citrus today north of Montgomery because I heard all his trees died after all protection failed this year. That report was wrong. He has three high tunnels each about 250' long. They did loose some trees on the far end of one tunnel where there was a bad tear or leak in his high tunnel. Most his trees did not die but they got hurt pretty bad. They have a very few blooms and are afraid it might take two years to get over the trauma of this winter if we don't have a repeat next winter. His trees look pretty good but no blooms. I guess you could call this alternate bearing but I've never had a big crop and I did not loose my leaves. Tom