Author Topic: Mun Kun Si mango blooming  (Read 1651 times)

jorge_cima

• Zone 10B, South Florida
    • View Profile
Mun Kun Si mango blooming
« on: March 09, 2017, 05:06:35 PM »
Hi Everyone

My first post here.  Am down in the South Miami-Dade area and my 4 year old Mun Kun Si tree bloomed about a week ago for the first time.  If anyone has any experience with this mango I would appreciate answers to the following:

1- When can this mango be harvested for ripe consumption?

2- Has any one here in Florida growing this type experienced a long fruiting season?  The only information I have found from Top Tropicals says it can stay on the tree until January. Anyone concurs with that?

3- Is the flavor on this mango similar to Nam Doc Mai?

Thank you in advance.

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Mun Kun Si mango blooming
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 10:53:53 PM »
Hello and welcome to the forum.  personally I have no experience with this variety.  I did come across a small discussion on this variety using the search function at the top of the page ( very useful  ;) )

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=6273.msg82514#msg82514

maybe someone else can chime in, that has more information.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

RichardN

• Florida, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2017, 11:41:32 PM »
In Asia people eat this mango green with salt and fresh crush chili peppers.  At this stage it taste like a  crispy green apple.  For my palate I preferred this variety  to be ripen.  When harvesting this variety pick it as if Mallika to get the full flavor and sweetness.  When fully ripe it's very juicy with soft flesh. The taste  similar to NDM / Ivory.
RichardN

jorge_cima

• Zone 10B, South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2017, 09:41:09 PM »
Thanks to all of you.  I guess that I will wait and see if if stays long on the tree.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk