Author Topic: 30g Manila Mango and 24g Haas Avocado Tree Costs?  (Read 3699 times)

philek9

• Santa Clarita, CA
    • View Profile
30g Manila Mango and 24g Haas Avocado Tree Costs?
« on: July 30, 2018, 04:05:27 PM »
Hi all,

I've been looking for a mature Manila Mango and Haas Avocado trees and was offered a 30 gallon Mango @ $750 and 24g Avocado @ $285.  Below are some photos.  Do you guys think it's worth it?

I appreciate your responses/feedback.

Thanks!

Haas Avocado (Updated correct photo)

Manilla Mango

« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 08:46:19 PM by philek9 »

RodneyS

• Cerritos, CA (Zone 11a)
    • View Profile
Re: 30g Manila Mango and 24g Haas Avocado Tree Costs?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2018, 04:35:05 PM »
Definitely no, in my opinion

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2018, 04:35:30 PM »
The avocado looks like an orange tree.  Hard to tell though, cant zoom on it. 

If you drive down to san diego you can get avocado trees that size for 75$ or less.  Try clausons or atkins.  Clausons might wven have some large mango trees also.

Mango looks nice but $$$, and its going to fall over when you take the stake off it.  Getting trees that are small that dont require staking is one upside besides the huge cost difference.
Brad Spaugh

philek9

• Santa Clarita, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2018, 04:52:26 PM »

If you drive down to san diego you can get avocado trees that size for 75$ or less.  Try clausons or atkins.  Clausons might wven have some large mango trees also.

Mango looks nice but $$$, and its going to fall over when you take the stake off it.  Getting trees that are small that dont require staking is one upside besides the huge cost difference.

Will falling over be a concern after it's been planted over time?  I'm trying to get as big as I can afford so I don't run the risk of the tree dying.  I live in Santa Clarita where it gets really hot and windy. 

Also, I had the wrong photo up for the Avocado.  I'll repost when I'm home.  Thx!

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2018, 05:10:34 PM »
You would need to plant the tree then put 3 stakes around it and use the green tree tape to tie it up to keep it upright.  Eventually the trunk will harden up and stand on its own.  Thats the problem with large trees grown on stakes at the nursery.  The trunks are weak if they are held up with a stake right on it.  Its better to get a tree that is already holding itself upright without a stake IMO.

If you live on a frost free hillside in san clarita with a south exposure, your trees will grow really fast.  A 25$ avocado tree from home depot will be quite large after a few years.
Brad Spaugh

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2018, 06:45:23 PM »
👎

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2018, 06:45:38 PM »
No wayzzz on the mango tree. It  starts branching out too high and this will only get higher and worse after you plant it. Even with $500 free money I would not pay more than $100 for it. Due to the high branching out. The avocado has lower normal branching out, looks nice and "bushy" so is likeable. With that $500 in free money burning a hole in my pocket.... I might pay full price on the Hass or offer him $100 less and settle for $50 less. Maybe.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 06:47:59 PM by zands »

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2018, 06:49:49 PM »

Will falling over be a concern after it's been planted over time?  I'm trying to get as big as I can afford so I don't run the risk of the tree dying.  I live in Santa Clarita where it gets really hot and windy. 

Also, I had the wrong photo up for the Avocado.  I'll repost when I'm home.  Thx!

Dang!  Put up the right photo. I just posted positive comments on the wrong photo.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2018, 06:49:57 PM »
The most I've paid for a tree was $375 for a 45 gallon jabo.  Not sure if 375 worth of jabo fruit have been eaten off it yet, but it's nice to have a larger tree that keeps producing. For a slow growing jabo, buying larger makes more sense.

Agree that smaller trees, and certainly cheaper, would be better in your situation. Maybe you can find something reasonable in the 15 gallon range. Not sure about your area, but mangoes and avos grow fast here.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2018, 06:52:07 PM »
They have avocado trees that size in 15gal pots at clausons for 70$
Brad Spaugh

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2018, 06:53:03 PM »
They have avocado trees that size in 15gal pots at clausons for 70$

;)

philek9

• Santa Clarita, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2018, 08:47:01 PM »
No wayzzz on the mango tree. It  starts branching out too high and this will only get higher and worse after you plant it. Even with $500 free money I would not pay more than $100 for it. Due to the high branching out. The avocado has lower normal branching out, looks nice and "bushy" so is likeable. With that $500 in free money burning a hole in my pocket.... I might pay full price on the Hass or offer him $100 less and settle for $50 less. Maybe.

The correct photo was posted shortly after so you’re good!  Thx for the reply.

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2018, 08:55:47 PM »

The correct photo was posted shortly after so you’re good!  Thx for the reply.

OK at least I did not waste my time typing. You have three posts and you only registered - joined up today.  If you have been lurking maybe you noticed that the general theme here is smaller, more of them (aka diversity to cover your bets. This is called a learning curve) and manageable for our fruit trees.

This is why I did not "like" the mango tree. Branched out too high thus hard to manage in furure years. What is managing? Being able to reach up and pick fruits more easily. Maybe use a fruit basket on a pole (these metal fruit baskets were $7 last time I looked on Amazon YOU supply the 1" by 10ft pvc pipe pole or go for wood)

Plus managing means the fruit tree is pruned to a height where you don't have to get up on a ladder very often. Ladders are your enemy and use them only sparingly.  I prune primarily with an electric pole saw and loppers. Pruning shears too. Chain saw (electric) too for thick wood cut off.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 09:08:05 PM by zands »

boxturtle

• usa, ca. garden grove Orange County
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2018, 09:02:23 PM »
bigger is not always better for most trees a true 15gallon is the sweet spot.....I say true because I been seeing a growing trend that nurseries are up potting just to get higher prices  :-[

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2018, 09:13:06 PM »
bigger is not always better for most trees a true 15gallon is the sweet spot.....I say true because I been seeing a growing trend that nurseries are up potting just to get higher prices  :-[

Maybe I am all wet but looks to me that fruit trees in 3 gallon are a lot smaller than in 2012. Florida obviuosly. During the recession they sat in Home Depot etc. and grew larger. Now they cannot move them quick enough. So go to HD for a mango tree and you will buy a twig for $32.

Saying this is a great time to be in in the nursery business, at least in South Florida.They are moving "product" like you would not believe. But I have no complaints. The greenery and tree cover here is amazing and tremendous, all pumping fresh clean O2 into the air. The encroaching jungle effect is so strong that tree trimming crews and lawn cutting crews have work year round. With this very rainy year all vegetative-plant-tree growth is stronger than usual. I observe this daily.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 09:18:18 PM by zands »

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2018, 09:16:29 PM »

Maybe I am all wet but looks to me that fruit trees in 3 gallon are a lot smaller than in 2012. Florida obviuosly. During the recession they sat in Home Depot etc. and grew larger. Now they cannot move them quick enough. So go to HD for a mango tree and you will buy a twig for $32.

Saying this is a great time to be in in the nursery business, at least in South Florida.They are moving "product" like you would not believe.

That in large part is due to Irma and other natural disastets over the last year
- Rob

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2018, 09:19:49 PM »

Saying this is a great time to be in in the nursery business, at least in South Florida.They are moving "product" like you would not believe.

That in large part is due to Irma and other natural disastets over the last year

You mean replacement of lost destroyed fruit trees? I suppose?

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2018, 09:21:19 PM »

You mean replacement of lost destroyed fruit trees? I suppose?

Yes...lack of supply, higher demand and production cant keep up for now.
- Rob

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2018, 07:24:49 AM »
Be careful of larger size potted trees. Like somebody above nurseries will up-pot eventually but sometimes they do that with already pot-bound trees. My place is a former nursery and they sold smaller sizes and up-pots to 50 gallon and larger. Going through their debris pile I have seen several post-mortem root balls like this which clearly had circling roots in about a 7 gallon size and were up-potted only to later have the circling roots expand and choke out the main trunk. Here is a pic of one I found last week. The circling roots were probably smaller than a pencil when up-potted. Eventually they expanded to one inch or more and made quite a ball of snakes:

philek9

• Santa Clarita, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2018, 09:59:51 AM »
I appreciates all the responses thus far.  The general consensus is Nay on the Mango tree so I'm going to pass on that, thanks!!!  Going with something smaller like 15g sounds reasonable but my concern is its longevity.  I know I'll make mistakes along the way so factoring that in with my area's climate, I'd like to seek out a size that will provide me the most margin of error without breaking the bank.  Does that mean a 15g will suffice?  Or do my odds increase significantly with a 24g? 

I am new to fruit trees and found this forum through a google search.  After searching and reading through some threads, I decided to post this since I wasn't able to locate what I needed.  I have begun calling other nurseries around the area and some of the ones you guys suggested.  Clausen's is enticing, reasonably priced, and reviewed highly but that's quite a drive for me so I'll need to figure out the logistics of transportation/delivery if I went with them.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2018, 10:04:35 AM »
Go to home depot and buy a 5 gallon avocado tree and a 5 gallon mango tree.  Plant them, mulch them, water and occasionally fertilize them.  They will grow and you will have save a 1000$.  You can thank me later.
Brad Spaugh

philek9

• Santa Clarita, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2018, 10:20:15 AM »
Go to home depot and buy a 5 gallon avocado tree and a 5 gallon mango tree.  Plant them, mulch them, water and occasionally fertilize them.  They will grow and you will have save a 1000$.  You can thank me later.

With that size, how long can I expect before it starts to produce fruit?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 11:06:59 AM by philek9 »

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2018, 10:59:20 AM »

With that size, how long can I expect to enjoy fruits off the tree?

Wht do you want a Manilla mango anyway?  Do you plan to graft onto it?  If not, seek out a better quality variety but the key is to make sure its grafted onto Manilla roitstock, not Florida turpentine.
- Rob

philek9

• Santa Clarita, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2018, 11:08:25 AM »

With that size, how long can I expect before it starts to produce fruit?

Wht do you want a Manilla mango anyway?  Do you plan to graft onto it?  If not, seek out a better quality variety but the key is to make sure its grafted onto Manilla roitstock, not Florida turpentine.

Just to eat.  I enjoy the ones I buy from my local store.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2018, 11:11:15 AM »

With that size, how long can I expect to enjoy fruits off the tree?

The fruits off that tree are stringy barely eatable. I chop that tree in half and start grafting. I would suggest ST or HK scions. Btw, that tree is not worth $50 it looks horrible