Author Topic: Any opinions.....  (Read 1248 times)

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
Any opinions.....
« on: May 05, 2019, 08:40:50 PM »
I have a bench in front of my house that I place citrus on for folks to take. I put a sheet with care and planting instructions in each pot. I do not take money for the citrus but I list parafilm and other grafting stuff that I will take as a donation. Today someone dropped off a 5 gallon bucket of standard poncirus, bare root w/water in bottom. They were all just under pencil size and about 2 feet tall. So..having budwood, I got in the shade of my liveoak..on my bench and budded each one, potted, fertilized, watered and sprayed each one with my mixture of neem oil extract. Left them in the shade. Never grafted like this before. Sure a lot easier than grafting in ground rootstock or potted rootstock. Im old and it hurts to get down low. Gonna see what happens.

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
Re: Any opinions.....
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2019, 07:24:47 PM »
This appears to be working great. Buds are stretching parafilm and potting shows new growth. I beleive this is the easiest grafting I have done in a long time. I am gonna do it again to see if I was just lucky .....

kumin

• USA PA 6b
    • View Profile
Re: Any opinions.....
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2019, 07:59:39 PM »
I recall an article about dormant season budding of pome fruit rootstock in which the bareroot rootstock was kept dormant in cool temperatures, while the budded area on the rootstock was maintained at a warm temperature. This allowed the bud to unite with the rootstock in a season which would otherwise have been unproductive.