Author Topic: CRFG Festival of Fruit  (Read 2435 times)

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
CRFG Festival of Fruit
« on: July 31, 2017, 12:08:18 PM »
I though this question would work itself out in due time but it's almost August , the month the Festival of Fruit is typically held and maybe I missed something but... What's up?
No festival or announcement regarding the festival this year?

wayne23

• San Gabriel, CA 10a
    • View Profile
Re: CRFG Festival of Fruit
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 12:11:48 PM »
Dragon fruit festival is on Aug 25-26

Bush2Beach

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 12:29:09 PM »
Thanks I know, just saw the itinerary and might make it down.
Not looking for info on wolfskill tastings or association meetings & tastings but the granddaddy of the fruit gatherings.
I still have yet to taste a dragonfruit with any sweetness. I know they're out there , just not the normal white flesh/red skin that seems to be the only I ever happen to see for sale.

wayne23

• San Gabriel, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 12:54:05 PM »
I am contemplating whether I should attend.  I was at the Ventura festival last year.  It was a great experience. 

There are sweet varieties out there.  I tasted multiples at the festival. 

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 01:35:21 PM »
I got the following email:

Dear members,

Because we are not having the FOF this year, the Pitahaya Festival is a wonderful event that you might enjoy instead.  (This is the 10th anniversary of the Pitahaya Festival)

Pat Valdevia

Bush2Beach

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2017, 02:01:11 PM »
Alright, thanks very much.

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2017, 07:50:36 PM »
Jonah, no festival this year no Chapter wanted to step up, next up in your neck of woods Santa Clara Chapter hosting 2018.

Bush2Beach

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2017, 11:12:10 AM »
Thank you sir! That's too bad. Santa Clara chapter has a chance to put on a good one.
This made me wonder about which CRFG chapters have hosted F.O.F. The most over the years and which chapters have never hosted.
What where people's favorite throughout the years .
Ive heard Monterey Bay has hosted before ,
I think it would be neat to coordinate and cross promote with another event like the heirloom festival or somethin like that . Especially in a year when there's not a ton of energy to create the event from the ground up .

Jonah, no festival this year no Chapter wanted to step up, next up in your neck of woods Santa Clara Chapter hosting 2018.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2017, 12:22:15 PM »
One of the SF Bay area chapters did do a joint one with the Heirloom Festival some years ago. There was also a joint one with HTFG in 2011. That one was good except with the Federal Government closure because of budget stalemate. We didn't get to see the Hilo USDA collection.

I would like to see the OC chapter put one on. I don't know when they last hosted one. I think they did a lot behind the scenes for things like the joint HTFG one so maybe they feel like 2011 was theirs. OC is a good location in the middle of SoCal. Santa Clara is probably good for up north.

Bush2Beach

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2017, 01:37:12 PM »
I recall the Heirloom festival edition happening now. The most recent HTFG and FOF colab was 2013 with the Cruise.
I totally agree about OC Chapter. They have the biggest plant sales, and member participation representing at fruit events far and wide that I have seen from all the chapters, plus the growing conditions and collections from people in that chapter are surely pretty amazing.
Santa Clara has one nursery that has semi interesting sub tropical fruit tree offerings and they are supplied by exotica . I don't think there's anyway the garden tours could be on the same level if we're talking cRfg. Location it's pretty central for the Nor Cal chapters and they have a good home base at Prusch Park. Maybe it will spurn someone to make that big Jaboticaba at Prusch Park beautiful with a haircut  ;), the central leader was topped and it's a sideshow bob bush .
All the work days are geared towards maintaining the Heritage Orchard of stone fruit , figs and the like with pruning and mulching. I've never heard of any work parties or seen any maintenance done on the Sub Tropical fruit orchard  :o ::)
All the Sub Tropicals are pushing forward there but they could certainly be fruiting and living a lot better.

One of the SF Bay area chapters did do a joint one with the Heirloom Festival some years ago. There was also a joint one with HTFG in 2011. That one was good except with the Federal Government closure because of budget stalemate. We didn't get to see the Hilo USDA collection.

I would like to see the OC chapter put one on. I don't know when they last hosted one. I think they did a lot behind the scenes for things like the joint HTFG one so maybe they feel like 2011 was theirs. OC is a good location in the middle of SoCal. Santa Clara is probably good for up north.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2017, 02:55:53 PM »
Haha, sideshow Bob. Yeah I get the details wrong sometimes. The HTFG thing was 2013 like you say.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk