Author Topic: New Zill grafts are really going crazy  (Read 1987 times)

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
New Zill grafts are really going crazy
« on: August 01, 2017, 01:28:06 PM »
Cotton Candy, Pineapple Pleasure, Fruit Punch, Juicy Peach, 7 grafts total on a stubbed Mallika.  I used the shoots to do 6 cleft and one veneer.

3 days ago. 

This morning, the 1st. Some leaves are a good 10" long!   Last year's (small) grafted Sweet Tart is in the background holding 7 fruit.  That ST taste is just incredible.   :o

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
Re: New Zill grafts are really going crazy
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 01:38:33 PM »
Very nice, Mark.

You'll be knee-deep in deliciousness before you know it.    8)

God willing and the ocean don't rise........

Dan

boxturtle

• usa, ca. garden grove Orange County
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2017, 03:53:30 PM »
hey mark what kind of potting mix do you use and what's your fertilizer regiment for your mangos?

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2017, 03:56:07 PM »
Sweet!! multi-grafted mango Mark  8)

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2017, 05:04:13 PM »
Thanks guys.  Yeah, I should be suffering this terrible Florida/Ca/Tex addiction soon.  My first Sweet Tart was a culinary experience....to put it mildly.

hey mark what kind of potting mix do you use and what's your fertilizer regiment for your mangos?

50/50 organic/inorganic.   Not picky, whatever is on hand.  For young mangos I give them a high N food - 12 mo. Polyon, 18-4-9 with micros.  Am backing off on the N and increasing K now that they're older.

CapeCoralGuy

• Cape Coral, Lee County Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2017, 06:19:51 PM »
That should be one great mango tree once all those grafts start giving you mango. Im also thinking of doing something similar with a Glenn mango tree i have. Good luck!

boxturtle

• usa, ca. garden grove Orange County
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2017, 06:22:49 PM »
Thanks guys.  Yeah, I should be suffering this terrible Florida/Ca/Tex addiction soon.  My first Sweet Tart was a culinary experience....to put it mildly.

50/50 organic/inorganic.   Not picky, whatever is on hand.  For young mangos I give them a high N food - 12 mo. Polyon, 18-4-9 with micros.  Am backing off on the N and increasing K now that they're older.

thanks Mark

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2017, 07:50:50 AM »
That should be one great mango tree once all those grafts start giving you mango. Im also thinking of doing something similar with a Glenn mango tree i have. Good luck!

Some poo poo cocktail trees but if you understand some wood will be dominant and some recessive regarding vigor and can control or prune accordingly, should be no problem.

If you have acreage then I would do single varieties but since I'm growing in a greenhouse, real estate is valuable.  With the latest grafts my collection includes LZ, ST, Pineapple Pleasure, Fruit Punch, Cotton Candy, Juicy Peach and yet to push is Zinc (parent of seedlings like ST and others), and Cushman, popular in Hawaii. I left one branch of Mallika alone.