Author Topic: Feeling really stupid, but which end is up re: planting this pitaya cutting?  (Read 2225 times)

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
This Sugar cutting has been in the ground for weeks, nothing.  I'm beginning to think I have it upside down.   :o  Should the cut side go in or the point?   

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
The spikes need to be pointing up.  That cutting is upside down.

Usually when taking a cutting, they are cut at a joint and then the tip is trimmed.  It will make more sense when you get some plants growing nicely.
Brad Spaugh

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
The spikes need to be pointing up.  That cutting is upside down.

Usually when taking a cutting, they are cut at a joint and then the tip is trimmed.  It will make more sense when you get some plants growing nicely.

Got it.  The point goes into the soil.

Thanks!

spaugh

• View Profile
Yeah the point is a joint.  Thats usually the lower end of a cutting where the cutting is cut off the plant.  Then the tip is chopped to length to fit in a box. 

The way to tell though is look at the spikes on the sides of the cutting.  They need to point upwards.
Brad Spaugh

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
The way to tell though is look at the spikes on the sides of the cutting.  They need to point upwards.

I understand and that's what's confusing.  The spikes and indention are horizontal on this cutting.  Usually it's as plain as day.  I'll figure it out......  :D

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel

I understand and that's what's confusing.  The spikes and indention are horizontal on this cutting.  Usually it's as plain as day.  I'll figure it out......  :D

This may not make sense... but when I look at the "indentions" on a cutting... I see ocean swells/waves.

The waves direction points to the top of the cutting. On your cutting, the direction is down.

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
You also can’t just put it straight into the soil. You need to leave it out in the sun so the bottom end calluses and hardens. Takes about 7-10 days. Then plant the callused bottom need and you should see new growth rapidly.

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
Or you could just plant it flat and growth will come out all along the piece.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
Or you could just plant it flat and growth will come out all along the piece.

Did that about a month or so ago with 2 cuttings.  Pulled them up yesterday - nothing.  I rarely water the bed, would that be the reason they're not rooting?  I submerge one side of the three into the sandy soil.  Also, being they have no roots, no potential for uptake, they tend to bleach out quickly.  I've shaded them with a double layer of cheesecloth or a screened colander.

Good one ricshaw.

FamilyJ

• South Florida
    • View Profile
This Sugar cutting has been in the ground for weeks, nothing.  I'm beginning to think I have it upside down.   :o  Should the cut side go in or the point?   

^
Might want to add some Epsom Salt before it rots out

spaugh

• View Profile
You can water a little then let it dry out, it should make it root.  I assume its pretty warm in the GH.  That should get them going.  If they came from someones outdoor garden in a colder location they could also just be really stalled from the cold.
Brad Spaugh

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
You can water a little then let it dry out, it should make it root.  I assume its pretty warm in the GH.  That should get them going.  If they came from someones outdoor garden in a colder location they could also just be really stalled from the cold.

Heat they have.  98F in the greenhouse until I cool everything down with a blast of water.  97F outside now, very unusual for us.