Author Topic: Frosted jakfruit  (Read 2832 times)

Rannman

• Dragonfruit collector
    • Australia
    • View Profile
Frosted jakfruit
« on: July 22, 2018, 06:29:17 AM »
Planted 10 Jakfruit seedlings last spring, most of which are 5ft tall at the moment. Recently had a wicked, unusual cold snap that totally fried all but 1 tree. There are other trees in my area that are 20ft tall that had all their leaves completely frozen. I obviously have 1 very cold tolerant Jakfruit but will the other 9 come back in time? One has already started sprouting at ground level and the 1 unaffected tree is growing as well as it ever did with no sign of frost damage.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 07:59:00 AM by Rannman »

Ulfr

• Brisbane Australia
    • View Profile
    • Practical Primate
Re: Frosted jakfruit
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2018, 07:11:37 AM »
Same cold snap did damage here to newly planted jacks. Coldest in quite a few years! Interestingly I also had obvious variation between cultivars. I am confident they will all come back but it might be a slow start to the growing season. Mine all kept some undamaged buds above the grafts. My seedling trees are a little older and had no damage, but they are also more protected.

Guessing east coast, but where are you?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 07:36:41 AM by Ulfr »

Rannman

• Dragonfruit collector
    • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2018, 07:58:28 AM »
Lockyer Valley, near Plainlaind/Laidley. Definitely the coldest it’s been here for several years. Frost burnt all the growth tips on the damaged trees but like I said , one lone tree still growing strong with not a bit of damage! Wait and see I suppose.

Ulfr

• Brisbane Australia
    • View Profile
    • Practical Primate
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2018, 04:59:29 AM »
Lockyer Valley, near Plainlaind/Laidley. Definitely the coldest it’s been here for several years. Frost burnt all the growth tips on the damaged trees but like I said , one lone tree still growing strong with not a bit of damage! Wait and see I suppose.

Best of luck. I dare say they will come back. I think/hope we are done with that kind of cold for the year/next few years.

Rannman

• Dragonfruit collector
    • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2018, 05:57:00 AM »
Was a tough cold snap for everyone out this way. Flattened tomato crops and plenty of potato crops as well! Hopefully that’s the worst for the season, but we’ll see I suppose. 🤞

OCchris1

• Old Towne Orange, CA 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2018, 01:45:37 AM »
What temps did you guys see down there? Just curious. Thanks, Chris
-Chris

Ulfr

• Brisbane Australia
    • View Profile
    • Practical Primate
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2018, 04:35:16 AM »
What temps did you guys see down there? Just curious. Thanks, Chris

At mine it got to 0 - 1 °C which is 32 - 34 °F. The usual minimum is above 3 °C or 37 °F.

Rannman is inland from me and his area is usually 3 °C or more lower at times like this, though I don't know his microclimate.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 07:44:40 PM by Ulfr »

Rannman

• Dragonfruit collector
    • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2018, 05:31:16 AM »
I’m in an elevated, slightly hilly area and we very rarely get a frost. We got down to -2.5 Celsius here but it must have been cold for several hours, with ice forming where I haven’t seen it in 3 winters. Even my old neighbor said it was a really bad cold snap and he’s been here for around 15 years! Lower in the valley got down to -4 /-5 Celsius, and that was where I saw the big Jakfruit with their leaves totally frozen, top to ground!
Mangoes are still flowering and 8 Achacha seedlings, 6 inches tall,  made it through with little or no damage🤷‍♂️.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 06:01:27 AM by Rannman »

Canvo

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2018, 05:55:09 AM »
I have 4 Jackfruit seedlings in pots outside, 3 are from seeds of a fruit I ate and all of them handled the winter here a little worse for wear but ok really. The one J33 seedling I have had to bring inside, no where as tolerant of the cold

Ulfr

• Brisbane Australia
    • View Profile
    • Practical Primate
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2018, 06:13:58 AM »
I have 4 Jackfruit seedlings in pots outside, 3 are from seeds of a fruit I ate and all of them handled the winter here a little worse for wear but ok really. The one J33 seedling I have had to bring inside, no where as tolerant of the cold

My j33 is going in a protected spot for that reason. The differences surprised me. I have a tweed crisp and Underwood right next to each other (thanks R). The Underwood lost all its leaves and the tweed crisp was relatively unscathed.

echinopora

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2018, 03:36:49 PM »
Thats interesting, my most exposed jack is the tweed crisp and it’s been actively growing all winter with perfect foliage. Underwood and yullatin are showing some yellowing at leaf margins and brown spots. Brinsmead special is taking it the worst, but I don’t think we have gotten under 6 degrees, and only just before dawn. The only other trees showing cold damage are the mamey, one of the soursops and red/escarlate jabs. Star apple, abiu, juicy pearl, carambola no trouble.

Ulfr

• Brisbane Australia
    • View Profile
    • Practical Primate
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2018, 05:23:42 PM »
You have a pretty special microclimate at your place Rob (even compared to your surrounding areas). I am jealous :)

I had damage on grafted jacks, mamey, some types of bananas, black sapote (new growth only) and the coconut (that ones an experiment, survived surprisingly).

Unscathed were carambola, all garcinia, seedling jacks, canistel, sapodilla, mangos, lychees, longan, jaboticaba, citrus etc.

My biggest problem is that I’m at the bottom of a cleared hill and the bush at the low side of my property catches that cold air. Should improve over the next few years.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 07:46:47 PM by Ulfr »

echinopora

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2018, 12:28:11 AM »
Definitely, I was getting at the fact that for anyone looking to grow a jackfruit Brisbane and south, Tweed Crisp seems a good selection. It might not meet elite fruit criteria but it seems hardy as an old boot.

OCchris1

• Old Towne Orange, CA 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2018, 01:36:51 AM »
Those are indeed some very cold temps. I wish your trees a speedy recovery. Chris
-Chris

Ulfr

• Brisbane Australia
    • View Profile
    • Practical Primate
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2018, 02:31:59 AM »
Definitely, I was getting at the fact that for anyone looking to grow a jackfruit Brisbane and south, Tweed Crisp seems a good selection. It might not meet elite fruit criteria but it seems hardy as an old boot.

Definitely a good option  :)

Rannman

• Dragonfruit collector
    • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2018, 04:30:27 AM »
Was a very unusual cold snap, even for us in the valley! I talked to some Vietnamese growers today and their Jakfruit had not been frosted like this in the last 5-6 years since they were planted.
I don’t have any specific varieties of Jakfruit growing. All seedlings from a really nice ‘juicy fruit’ flavoured, low latex fruit purchased in Darra and like I said, one is obviously very frost tolerant, which is good!
I will trim the damaged trees back to good wood and hope they come back. If they die, I’ll try something else👍

Dane

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2018, 06:09:23 AM »
We had around -2.5 c in Canungra area during the cold snap. I have a 5m tall icecream bean tree that had around 80% of its leaves scorched. I only just moved to the area so haven’t planted any of my sun tropical trees yet luckily.
Will definitely be creating some micro climates for next year.
Would be good to hear how others have created micro climates in their areas. 😄