Author Topic: Interesting Article on Jakfruit  (Read 1557 times)

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting Article on Jakfruit
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2020, 07:56:51 AM »
Great article and the humble jackfruit should be a centrepiece in tropical fruit gardens.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2020, 08:28:15 AM »
Got a few going! Great fruit and tasty fat edible seeds. Winner!

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2020, 09:08:36 AM »
If you had the space and right climate having a few other Artocarpus like chemapdak,breadfruit,keledang and kwai muk would be ideal jackfruit companions.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2020, 09:35:37 AM »
just added kwai muk. most excited about this one. I like sweet and sour.

2 of my jaks are supposed to be a cross between jak and cheena maybe, not sure. Oscar sold seeds a while back, got 2 seedlings from a forum member.

1 larger jak seedling growing. was from a tasty crunchy orange flesh variety from the farmers market.

Something's gotta go if I add anymore.

What would you recommend most (taste wise) of the artocarpus you have tried Mike, or anyone else?

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2020, 09:42:34 AM »
I reckon jacks are best but good crunchy low latex, low rag A graders. Chempadaks are variable and rich but definitely a winner and preferred to jacks by some. Marang is not for everyone and is thin on flesh like many other species.Some bigger sweeter types are alright bu confronting with their aroma.Of sweet dessert fruit I would rank keledang and kwai muk ahead of lakoocha and way ahead of monkey jack and a swag of other Indonesian Artocarpus. Breadfruit and breadnut are just different but very useful.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2020, 09:48:17 AM »
I left out pedalai which I would prefer to marang and better than some sourer lakoocha

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2020, 02:08:07 PM »
Great article and the humble jackfruit should be a centrepiece in tropical fruit gardens.

At the end of the article they mention frying the jackfruit and have a picture of some large sections.

I have fried the rag in olive oil and have found it to be more tasty than french fries IMO. It appears to be a much easier way to eat the majority of the mass by frying than the other mixtures listed as super easy for hot oil and drop it in.

I believe Fruitlovers said he was going to try the rag fried after I posted my opinion about 2 months ago.

Have you MikeT or anyone else tried frying the rag in oil and if so how did you like the taste???

mangaba

• Brazil,Pernambuco,Recife
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2020, 09:23:12 PM »
 Jackfruit is an excellent fruit whether you consume it when raw (before being ripe) after boiling or when ripe. The biggest handicap is its sap
  which makes the knife blades used to open the fruit, sticky. To lessen this problem some people smear the knife with cooking oil others clean the blades with a solution of citric acid. Any other alternatives to lessen the mess ?

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2020, 10:48:41 PM »
I reckon jacks are best but good crunchy low latex, low rag A graders. Chempadaks are variable and rich but definitely a winner and preferred to jacks by some. Marang is not for everyone and is thin on flesh like many other species.Some bigger sweeter types are alright bu confronting with their aroma.Of sweet dessert fruit I would rank keledang and kwai muk ahead of lakoocha and way ahead of monkey jack and a swag of other Indonesian Artocarpus. Breadfruit and breadnut are just different but very useful.

Mike curious where you would rate pedalai in the artocarpus mix if you have had it? ....I got a few jacks going including seeds from a white fleshed jackfruit, two diff types of chempedak, Kwai muk, and pedalai.

-joe

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2020, 12:11:36 AM »
Look at reply 6 above. I have tried pedalai from quite a few different trees and they are good. The trees are really big and fruit vary in flesh thickness and shape. I like them better than marang and even lakoocha, but some sweet lakoocha are good. Keledang is nice and some are very good so may be better in my view than pedalai. Lakoocha and kwai muk have a bit better flesh yield than some others.

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2020, 11:42:56 AM »
Interesting subject.
Pedalai is a hard tree to shape.  It’s hard to see how it could be controlled so the fruits were easy to pick.
I’ve noticed that in Malaysia the two artocarpus that you see most for sale and that get the best price are marang and champedek.  I also sell these fruits and get a positive demand for those two.  Durian eaters frequently name champedek as their next favorite fruit although it isn’t for everyone, like the durian.  Marang easily convinces customers and we are ramping up production, keeping the trees manageable.
Jakfruit gets half the price only compared to the other two.
Peter

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2020, 05:12:11 PM »
Marang are alright and I know lots of people like them. Marang, pedalai and breadfruit are examples of big leafed, big treed species that are hard to contain. Keledang, kwai muk,chempedak and jacks are more manageable and lakootcha is kinda in between.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2020, 07:15:25 PM »
This info is great! Thank you

TonyinCC

• Trying to enjoy home grown fruit 12 months a year
    • Cape Coral,FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2020, 11:37:53 AM »
Chilling the fruit before cutting almost eliminates the problem with sap. It will make everything in your refrigerator smell like jackfruit though.
 I recommend icing fruit down in a cooler for several hours before cutting instead. Then you cut out the core as quickly as possible and if you oil your hands and knife you will have very little latex to deal with.