Temperate Fruit & Orchards > Temperate Fruit Discussion

Are asimina's affected by juglone in walnut

<< < (2/3) > >>

Triphal:
We have an English walnut / Carpathian ( Jugulans regia ) tree about 200 feet or so away from the pawpaws..

Citradia:
My paw paw trees are planted right under the canopy of a huge black walnut that has killed apples, cherry, dogwood, witch hazel, but my paw paws thrive under it and produce loads of fruit every year. Red bud and native wisteria and black raspberry and wine berry, sassafras, locust, and poncirus do well under it too, as does day lily and hostas.

Plantinyum:

--- Quote from: Citradia on July 07, 2021, 09:41:44 PM ---My paw paw trees are planted right under the canopy of a huge black walnut that has killed apples, cherry, dogwood, witch hazel, but my paw paws thrive under it and produce loads of fruit every year. Red bud and native wisteria and black raspberry and wine berry, sassafras, locust, and poncirus do well under it too, as does day lily and hostas.

--- End quote ---
super, thanks for your review on the subject, the plant I planted does not show any signs of stress by now, hopefully it'll do ok for me there....

W.:
My pawpaws are too far away from my black walnuts for me to give a definitive answer. That being said, I have been rather surprised at how much will grow near walnuts. My grandfather's tomatoes were planted fairly close to but not under a very large walnut. They thrived when they should have probably been instantly killed. I have had native black cherries and dogwoods grow with no issues near walnuts. The plants that have performed badly under my walnuts have been sun-loving plants that have been shaded out by those walnuts' thick canopies. However, I do not push my luck with potential juglone poisoning; walnut leaves and fruit are the only things in my yard which I rake up and dispose of in my woods instead of using for mulch or compost.

nullroar:
Penn State lists Asimina as resistant (at the very leas) to Juglone:
https://extension.psu.edu/landscaping-and-gardening-around-walnuts-and-other-juglone-producing-plants

My own pawpaws seem to be happier the closer they are to the walnut tree line, but that may just be due to the extra shade at this stage of their growth.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version