Author Topic: Satsuma tree help, leaf drop  (Read 913 times)

bsalta

• USA, Charleston, SC, Zone 9
    • View Profile
Satsuma tree help, leaf drop
« on: May 11, 2021, 09:03:20 AM »
My satsuma tree is dropping leaves and the majority of the leaves are turning pale and hard.  There is fruit on the tree that is growing, however there is no new leaf growth.  My lime tree has tons of new leaf growth right now.  I sent pictures to my grower about 5 weeks back and he said he thought I had spider mites.  I have been treating every 7 days with a miticide and I washed the leaves with soap and water.  Can any identify if I am still dealing with spider mites and what the best treatment should be? Thanks!

citrange

• UK - 15 miles west of London
    • View Profile
    • Home Citrus growers
Re: Satsuma tree help, leaf drop
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2021, 05:39:54 PM »
Yes, the mottled leaves look like typical spider mite damage.
Miticides, horticultural spraying oil, or frequent washing are all control methods, but the mites are tiny and probably too small to see any remaining on your photos.
Unfortunately the affected leaves will not recover and some may fall off.
Eventually the tree will produce new shoots which will grow normally if the spider mites have been eliminated.

bsalta

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2021, 07:54:11 AM »
Thanks for the reply! I have treated I believe 4 times over the last 4 weeks.  How many applications does it typically take to get rid of them?  Should I continue spraying?  What are your thoughts on neem oil to keep them away? I don't see them anymore like I used to.

For reference, this was my tree 4 weeks ago. 

« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 07:55:59 AM by bsalta »

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2021, 11:01:51 AM »
Normally, just one or two sprays will rid spider mites from the tree.  After the 4 o 5 sprays you did, your tree should be OK.

bsalta

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2021, 12:18:20 PM »
Thanks! I don't see any activity any more.

Should I use neem oil occasionally to keep them away?

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2021, 08:29:07 PM »
Now that winter is over, keep the tree out in the sun and humidity and let rain naturally wash off the mites. Mites thrive in dry environment of the home over winter. I take my potted citrus that are inside the house outside and spray them with the water hose once a week if it’s not freezing outside during the winter to help prevent mites infestation. After water hose treatment, I let them dry outside again if not freezing, before spraying them with been oil solution before bringing them back inside. I wash off the pot trays/dishes too to get any mite eggs off of them too. If freezing, I spray them indoors with neem solution.

incubator01

• Belgium, Central Europe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2021, 05:54:39 AM »
Now that winter is over, keep the tree out in the sun and humidity and let rain naturally wash off the mites. Mites thrive in dry environment of the home over winter. I take my potted citrus that are inside the house outside and spray them with the water hose once a week if it’s not freezing outside during the winter to help prevent mites infestation. After water hose treatment, I let them dry outside again if not freezing, before spraying them with been oil solution before bringing them back inside. I wash off the pot trays/dishes too to get any mite eggs off of them too. If freezing, I spray them indoors with neem solution.

Thanks for the info.
I too spray plants now during winter months (since this winter once i learned) to increase humidity, but I keep them indoors (an unheated shelter) , I use a pump based spray bottle with a gentle spray strength because I'm too afraid using a hose to damage those weak branches.
But I never spray in the winter with Neem oil or similar products, perhaps it is something I should start doing in winter.
So my question is how often do you recommend spraying with Neem oil or similar products during winter (and during summer)?

I use a product from the Netherlands: https://www.greensell.nl/a-54519121/rogis/rogis-wonderspray-100ml/#description 
it contains Azadirachtin, Salannin, Meliantrl, Saponin and i beilieve one of these components is in Neem oil, so far it did help get rid of bugs on various plants (I use it on peppers and tomatoes as well and it gets rid of aphids, both armored ones and regular ones)
It's mixed with brown soap and some other stuff.
But the reason why I use this instead of pure Neem oil is that I don't know the ratio on how to mix it with water and if I do it wrong I might make things worse.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2021, 11:19:51 AM »
For MITES, just plain water works as well as chemical sprays.