Citrus > Citrus General Discussion

CCPP budwood order

(1/4) > >>

pinkturtle:
Hi,

I am planning to make another order from CCPP.  I will order XIE SHAN SATSUMA, but want to order other varieties beside it.

What are some of the recommendation?  I am looking for easy to peel, seedless and good balance of flavor.

Thanks in advance.
Al

Goyo626:
Shiranui has been very vigorous for me. Set 16 fruit less than a year after budding. So heavy it broke the branch.

sc4001992:
Goyo626, yes I had the same problem when I grafted the sumo/shiranui on my trees. You should remove all but 1-2 fruits on the first year fruited branch since they weigh so much. On the second year I let 13 fruits stay on my grafted branch and it was still too heavy with fruits that it cracked. But since I caught the problem before the branch completely severed off, I was able to tape it back and put a large support stick and got all the fruits to ripen (tasted good) and the half broken branch healed fine now. It took another year for this branch (5/8" diameter) to heal. Lesson learned, don't let all the fruits hang, only 1-2 so you can verify its the correct variety.

sc4001992:
My suggestion on mandarin varieties that I like on my trees are;
- Xie Shan
- Shiranui
- Ponkan
- Kishu seedless
- Honey mandarin (VI-133)
- Murcott mandarin (get the VI-147, not VI-462)
- Tango (not available from UCR)
- Gold Nugget (not available from UCR)
- Yosemite Gold (not available from UCR)
- Shasta Gold (not available from UCR)

I have a lot of other varieties but they don't taste as good as the above.

Goyo626:

--- Quote from: sc4001992 on September 24, 2021, 03:18:25 PM ---Goyo626, yes I had the same problem when I grafted the sumo/shiranui on my trees. You should remove all but 1-2 fruits on the first year fruited branch since they weigh so much. On the second year I let 13 fruits stay on my grafted branch and it was still too heavy with fruits that it cracked. But since I caught the problem before the branch completely severed off, I was able to tape it back and put a large support stick and got all the fruits to ripen (tasted good) and the half broken branch healed fine now. It took another year for this branch (5/8" diameter) to heal. Lesson learned, don't let all the fruits hang, only 1-2 so you can verify its the correct variety.

--- End quote ---

Luckily i have another graft of it. I cut off the broken part and since its so vigorous it will likely branch out right below the cut and keep growing. Ill make sure to remove most fruits next time.

Has anyone tried maltaise demi sanguine and boukhabza?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version