Citrus > Cold Hardy Citrus

New citrus tree in ground

(1/2) > >>

poncirsguy:
planted a seed grown Meiwa kumquat outside in ground today.  Needed to plant to fit under cicada bag for the 17 year cicadas brood 10

SoCal2warm:
In the specific case of kumquat, do you think being grafted on poncirus makes it more resistant to freeze damage?
What have your observations indicated about this?

I did read that kumquat enters and stays in dormancy much more easily than other citrus species, a protective mechanism against cold damage, so am wondering whether grafting it onto poncirus might be redundant. (Just a thought, I have no idea)

Millet:
Poncirusguy, you seem to have an eye for kumquats.  How many do you have now?

poncirsguy:
I have not pushed my kumquats for cold resistance so I don't know either.  I have wondered if Kumquat trees on their own roots would be more cold hardy than grafted to PT/FD because the graft union is more sensitive to cold than a non union.
I have 4 seed grown Meiwa trees and 1 grafted Meiwa on Kuharske citrange.  That graft combination is incompatible and the graft region is dying.  I have 2 seed grown Fukushu kumquat trees 1 grafted Fukushu on C35 and 2 Fukushu on Flying dragon.  1 seedling Fukushu is in ground and the other is in a 30 gallon container.  The C35 Fukushu in in a 30 gallon container and the 2 on flying dragon are in 5 gallon buckets.

incubator01:
I once saw a video on YT that showed a meiwa kumquat planted outside in USA but died from the cold, the owner said he didn't know meiwa was not cold hardy (nor did I) so I would keep those warm in winter just to be safe :)

I have 3 kumquat seedlings, very small ones still though, one I planted in my greenhouse as an experiment and survived temperatures of 0 °C outside (so inside greenhouse it's 1 or 2 °C) the other 2 are still in a small container and I plan to keep those containerized, because I too don't know how cold resistant non grafted kumquats (regular ones) are.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version