Author Topic: Sharing is Caring, Sweetheart (Sweet Sensation) Lychee 25 gal. From Pine Island  (Read 11509 times)

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
U could be right about mauritius oscar...I don't remember either though...I just know they both should be planted...along with Hak ip.

Hey BTW,  about that lychee tree being repotted...if you repot it be warned that you might set it back from fruiting if you jump it up in too large of a pot!  It will put too much energy into root growth...and you might have diminished amounts of energy put into flower production...I've seen this happen many a time!

just some advice from the other side of the brain.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
I agree it should be potted up now.  My Sweetheart has increased in size dramatically ever since I planted it into the ground but the wind keeps damaging the leaves on the windward side.  JF, if you can plant your Lychee into the ground and then put up some wind break, that may help your Lychee grow the fastest and reach full production faster.  I have two small Lychees in the front yard that were planted several months ago and I built a small windbreak for them and their new leaves are in great shape. 
Simon

Standard operating procedure here in lychee orchards for first year to place the trees inside of hog wire cage that has shade cloth around it.
Oscar

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
U could be right about mauritius oscar...I don't remember either though...I just know they both should be planted...along with Hak ip.

Hey BTW,  about that lychee tree being repotted...if you repot it be warned that you might set it back from fruiting if you jump it up in too large of a pot!  It will put too much energy into root growth...and you might have diminished amounts of energy put into flower production...I've seen this happen many a time!

just some advice from the other side of the brain.
JF is in Cali, not Florida...their bloom and fruiting season is different than ours.  Despite your opinion, lychees hate being pot bound and a pot bound lychee will not fruit either.  While nobody can guarantee if the lychee will fruit this upcoming season whether it is potted up or left alone, solely for the health of the tree, potting it up is the best decision.
- Rob

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
What is the consensus best variety of lychee for south Florida? For heartiness and tastiness? Thanks

the census is that "dirty coconuts" might be the best forum name chosen yet. lolol

but to answer your question, I think Brewster?

Hmmmm, i seem to recall Mauritius being rated number one in Florida. But maybe my mind is playing tricks on me? I think there was a poll on this?
Correct you are, Oscar...for production it is Mauritius but for taste it is Hak Ip.  For those who question or doubt that Hak Ip/Sweetheart is better, I invite you to go poll the oriental markets...or if the opportunity arises, place both on a table, labeled properly, and see which sells faster...it will be the Hak Ip/Sweetheart (sorry Gerry, truth hurts).
- Rob

Dirty Coconuts

• 10b South Florida
    • View Profile
Thanks for all the info. Hak ip I think is what I'll look for.