Author Topic: unhealthy pepper plants  (Read 1051 times)

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
unhealthy pepper plants
« on: August 10, 2019, 12:25:18 PM »
So in my greenhouse where I'm successfully growing every tropical fruit tree under the sun my plain old bell pepper and jalapenos are struggling.  Any ideas?  They are being drip irrigated, fed with Osmocote plus.  Temps 75-95F.  Full sun

This jalapeno is a year old, I cut it down to a stump over the winter and it regrew

This red bell is a home depot seedling from spring.

I had another orange bell also that I just ripped out and replaced with a new 99cent one.

Kevin Jones

• Alabama - USA
    • View Profile
Re: unhealthy pepper plants
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2019, 01:01:02 PM »
Not saying this is your problem... but peppers can be sensitive to Tobbaco Mosaic Virus which is easily introduced from tobacco products and their users.
Where I now live I am constantly digging up old Tipparello plastic tips that a previous occupant disposed of in the yard.
Bell peppers and Jalapeño peppers are the most difficult to grow for me in this area.
I would suggest growing virus resistant varieties. I find "Serranos" seem to be more naturally resistant than jalapeños to these viruses.
As far as sweet peppers go... try the "Gypsy" variety. They seem to power through the ailments that kill Bells out-right.

Kevin

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2019, 01:04:30 PM »
What works for me in Florida
My greenest healthiest hot pepper plants I grow under an oak with mostly
filtered indirect sunlight. I grow my peppers in a 15 gallon pot and give miracle
grow once a week. I currently don't have many peppers but the plants are green and
starting another round of flowering. I have a 3 year old C reaper, 2 tabascos, 1 fat
tabasco 1 wiri wiri, When a plant is really cranking like a Tabasco I might have 250+
peppers at once including red, orange and greens ones. I have also recently started
some more small ones.
They grow year round as long as I protect from the occasional frost
Have you tried miracle grow? drench the roots.

Kevin Jones

• Alabama - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2019, 04:25:28 PM »
Amen to the Miracle Grow. I use it also.

kj

Tommyng

• Acreage florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2019, 11:40:19 AM »
Does osmocote have iron in it because those leaves look deficient in it. I grow lots of peppers, my routine is every year I take them out of the pots, remove some of the dirt, then pile the bottom of the pots with leaves and other organic matter and put the plants back in after a light pruning. Water with well water and they really do flourish.
Don’t rush, take time and enjoy life and food.

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2019, 11:56:02 AM »
Are you irrigating with municipal water?