Author Topic: Pedalai looks like a giant rambutan  (Read 35361 times)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Pedalai looks like a giant rambutan
« Reply #125 on: July 07, 2015, 05:39:25 PM »
They are actually sweet and pleasant without any savoury or onion taste going on.Maybe the fruit sampled was not up to par for some reason.

I agree. The pedalai fruit you ate might have been over ripe? Usually pedalai tastes similar to marang, which is very mild subtle taste. Your description of pedalai sounds more like the taste of some kinds of chempadek.
Oscar

xmario

• SFL 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 07, 2019, 02:39:00 PM »
Hello David,
Just super curious of your Pedalai status and how it is holding up, here in Florida...

Cheers

That's my pedalai, that I'm growing in florida. That said I know it's a very long shot, I'm building a green house around it for next year. Also that tree is 4-5 years old, and growing in the ground. I don't except fruit anyyyyyyyy time soon if ever.

Oscar, Adolf Grimal had a huge pedalai, but according to. Chris Rollins the tree never fruited possibly due to low humidity and was eventually killed by a hurricane
- Marius

Malia

• Florida, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 07, 2019, 03:14:01 PM »
I saw they have pedalai in the offer at Excalibur. Have anyone bought from them? Are they grafted?

xmario

• SFL 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 22, 2019, 05:53:52 PM »
I've had the chance to see those, they have a few in 45gal for $450 but they look super pitiful and not healthy at all:(  big giant cracks on the trunk and lots of dead wood, maybe one or two branches that are  better looking on a 10ft tree. Problem is they keep them out in the open and full sun to burn alive or get the chills in winter.
Meanwhile I'll be babying my couple of seedlings and grow them as ornamentals at least, not expecting any fruit really:)

I saw they have pedalai in the offer at Excalibur. Have anyone bought from them? Are they grafted?
- Marius