Author Topic: Pedalai looks like a giant rambutan  (Read 35359 times)

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Pedalai looks like a giant rambutan
« on: April 09, 2013, 05:51:53 PM »
This pedalai selection is the pride of the rare fruit council but I am yet to try it.People speak very highly of it.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
Re: Pedalai looks like a giant rambutan
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 06:00:44 PM »
This pedalai selection is the pride of the rare fruit council but I am yet to try it.People speak very highly of it.

Those fruits have a real wow factor to them.. I have never tried the fruit but have seen the trees.....some of the most magnificent trees there are to behold.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 06:14:46 PM »
WOW Mike!  I heard angelic hymns drifting through the air as I viewed the pictures (I need to see a Dr. about that).  Fruit looks absolutely incredible and as one gent put it to me a "Holy Grail" of tropical fruits.  Though it does remind me a bit of the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch more than the pedalai I've seen, they seemed more oblong.

Now if only you could find a dwarf pedali among those amazing gentleman. :)

phantomcrab

• USA, St. Petersburg, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 06:17:00 PM »
Those are some impressive leaves. How large can they get?
Richard

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 06:18:45 PM »
This type is pretty big with large 'bulbs' and the pix do not convey it all that well.I have tried a few before of different shapes that have been really good but this is supposed to be the cream of the crop.I will probably be chowing down on them in a couple of weeks so may be able to report how it stacks up against regular pedalai and other artocarpus.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 06:19:55 PM »
Richard it is a real megaphyll and some leaves are 3 feet long but most are smaller.

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 07:07:27 PM »
20 years to fruit Mike ?
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 07:18:53 PM »
Luc More like 4 to 7.This tree is grown at Tully with 160 inches of rain a year and winter temps dipping to 40f and it took 5 years there.This selection does pretty well at the cooler end of this species tolerances.They are pretty productive and really don't need as much rain as that.I think there is much variation in most artocarpus species.This variation is quite noticeable in terms of fruit characteristics and cold tolerances.

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013, 08:53:33 PM »
Mike
Beautiful photos of an incredible fruit. I have a 5 foot Pedelai tree in a pot that is gorgeous! I wish I could graft it ! No doubt that this is one of the "holy grail" fruits
FGM
FloridaGreenMan

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2013, 09:00:25 PM »
Mike, impressive fruits and leaves!!It looks more like a hairy coconut :) this tree must be gigantic! Thanks for sharing.

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2013, 10:22:22 PM »
Wow, huge leaves and fruit those leaves must be a foot long and fruit maybe 5-6" in diameter, thanks for sharing great pic's!!! 8)

msk0072

• Greece, Crete, Hania, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2013, 01:50:55 AM »
Wow Mike, it looks great.  :) The flesh looks like marang. Lets us know how it tastes.
Mike

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2013, 02:32:14 AM »
Wow Mike, it looks great.  :) The flesh looks like marang. Lets us know how it tastes.

Yes pedalai tastes very similar to marang. Some like it even better than marang.
Oscar

kimi

• Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2013, 02:48:05 AM »
Very nice pics Mike.

I've never heard of the fruit until today.  Definitely drool worthy.
kimi

msk0072

• Greece, Crete, Hania, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2013, 07:59:36 AM »

Yes pedalai tastes very similar to marang. Some like it even better than marang.
My god how many seeds do I need to collect? Every week something new to add to my list!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 01:41:25 PM by msk0072 »
Mike

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2013, 09:53:37 AM »
Luc More like 4 to 7.This tree is grown at Tully with 160 inches of rain a year and winter temps dipping to 40f and it took 5 years there.This selection does pretty well at the cooler end of this species tolerances.They are pretty productive and really don't need as much rain as that.I think there is much variation in most artocarpus species.This variation is quite noticeable in terms of fruit characteristics and cold tolerances.

You are going to get people down here in fl thinking with talk like that. Pedalai is definitely at the top of my list for fruit to try.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 09:55:44 AM by Jsvand5 »

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2013, 11:33:19 AM »
They are pretty productive....

How many fruits approximately on how old tree? Which one is more productive: marang or pedalai?

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2013, 12:27:29 PM »
Thanks for the posts, Mike.  We'll be anxious to see your post when you actually get to try this superior clone.  I'm also happy to hear of your estimated time to fruiting.  I plan on putting in several (and also a number of other Artocarpus spp.) and I had been hoping on something in the 10 yr range for pedalai.  I have a neighbor who had an Artocarpus that was 22 yrs old and enormous.  I have misplaced my notes (one move too many) but I think it was elasticus if I recall correctly.  It had never borne fruit for him & he was going to take it out.

John

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2013, 05:29:01 PM »
Thanks for the posts, Mike.  We'll be anxious to see your post when you actually get to try this superior clone.  I'm also happy to hear of your estimated time to fruiting.  I plan on putting in several (and also a number of other Artocarpus spp.) and I had been hoping on something in the 10 yr range for pedalai.  I have a neighbor who had an Artocarpus that was 22 yrs old and enormous.  I have misplaced my notes (one move too many) but I think it was elasticus if I recall correctly.  It had never borne fruit for him & he was going to take it out.

John

I think Mike's predictions about how long pedalai takes to fruit are extremely optimistic, at least for Hawaii, and even more so for Florida. I also have elasticus that is huge,  12 years old and has never fruited. This is a problem with some of the artocarpus. Probably not warm enough for them. Same problem occurs here with lancefolius and anisefolium. Pedalai will fruit here eventually, but they get extremely tall. Not a good tree unless you have a large farm.
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2013, 05:53:06 PM »
Oscar I checked back with the grower for any further information on this pedalai.He confirmed that it first fruited at 5 years which is 2 earlier than expected from local experience with this species.He described it as superior to any marang and desribed it as an improvement on other locally available pedalai in just about all characteristics.He went on to say his farm went down to 3c last winter and it has been cooler in the past and the tree showed no ill effects.It also handled a cat 5 cyclone (winds to 300km/hr) better than all other fruit trees including sapodilla and jackfruit.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2013, 05:55:31 PM »
Oscar I checked back with the grower for any further information on this pedalai.He confirmed that it first fruited at 5 years which is 2 earlier than expected from local experience with this species.He described it as superior to any marang and desribed it as an improvement on other locally available pedalai in just about all characteristics.He went on to say his farm went down to 3c last winter and it has been cooler in the past and the tree showed no ill effects.It also handled a cat 5 cyclone (winds to 300km/hr) better than all other fruit trees including sapodilla and jackfruit.

Is that 5 years from the planting of the seed, or 5 years from when he planted it into the ground? And how old was the plant already when he planted it into the ground?
Oscar

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2013, 06:00:39 PM »
I'm going to have to move somewhere between Cardwell and Tully one of these days.  ;)
I've heard reports of lanceifolius in particular taking forever to fruit, or setting small fruit and aborting 100% at a small stage. And thats in near equatorial lowland monsoon/dry season areas. The trees Mike has access to have exceptional pedigree and I wouldnt be surprised if he ran down the elusive grafted Junglesops that fruit in 3 years one day...

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2013, 06:08:31 PM »
Good question and I just don't know but I was presuming 5 years from seed.Many farmers plant tropicals out just before the rainy season after being planted the rainy season before.It could have been 6.

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2013, 06:43:20 PM »
Here's a Pedelai that was growing like a weed in the Florida Keys. The grower removed all of the local soil and replaced it with a good soil.  It had not fruited yet but was killed by Hurricane Wilma in 2005 before it had a chance to produce. It was an amazing looking tree!   

FloridaGreenMan

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2013, 07:25:35 PM »
Here's a Pedelai that was growing like a weed in the Florida Keys. The grower removed all of the local soil and replaced it with a good soil.  It had not fruited yet but was killed by Hurricane Wilma in 2005 before it had a chance to produce. It was an amazing looking tree!   

The leaves of my tree ( planted from seed in 2008 ) are deeply lobed so there is also a difference in leave shape like with the marang ??
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north