Author Topic: Field trip to pineiaslander's Permaculture food forest in Pine Island, FL  (Read 2974 times)

Satya

• North Miami Beach, FL , Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • Growing rare tropicals and fruit trees.
We have been visiting forum members in South Florida and getting to learn a lot from their experiences of growing a food forest. Most of the forum friends have been very welcoming and kind to invite us, show us around their garden, explain their struggles starting the food forest and the difficulties encountered over the years, and their glorious victories alike. The trips have been informative as well as fun as we get to enjoy an exciting conversation, tastiest fruits and see trees we have not seen before, but most importantly, we love the connection we make with the forum friends and end up with the feeling like we are a family of gardeners.

Here is our amateur video highlighting some interesting aspects of pineislander's (Jay Reynolds') Treehouse permaculture farm, a food forest in Pine Island, FL that we've been following for a while. Enjoy!
 https://youtu.be/P7tybxN9okw

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
Re: Field trip to pineiaslander's Permaculture food forest in Pine Island, FL
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2020, 02:24:15 PM »
Thank you for making and sharing this video. Really like the intermingling of plants.

You have to go back in a few years and do an update!

Nice job Jay, appreciate what you're doing

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2020, 03:11:02 PM »
WOW Jay!
Do you have a picture you can share before you started?
It's simply amazing what you've done!

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2020, 05:49:52 PM »
Awesome video, Satya! Amazing place, pineislander! If not a pain, could you list your legumous understory/chop&drop crops? Thanks!

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2020, 08:30:53 PM »
Are you going to visit Frog Valley Farm, too?
John

Satya

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2020, 09:31:33 PM »
Thank you for making and sharing this video. Really like the intermingling of plants.

You have to go back in a few years and do an update!

Nice job Jay, appreciate what you're doing

Thanks Rob, we talked with Jay to make a part 2 after a year :)

Satya

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2020, 09:34:12 PM »
Yes we would be happy to visit if we are invited.. there is certainly a lot to learn about biodynamic farming. I read almost all of the research papers Frog valley farm posted here and would be so nice to see them in practice. Waiting for an invitation  :D

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2020, 10:45:14 PM »
Yes we would be happy to visit if we are invited.. there is certainly a lot to learn about biodynamic farming. I read almost all of the research papers Frog valley farm posted here and would be so nice to see them in practice. Waiting for an invitation  :D
Okay, knowing your diligence, I'm sure you've probably reached out to him.
John

Frog Valley Farm

• Messages have been disabled here
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2020, 05:36:09 AM »
We are not just Biodynamic Farm.  We try and utilize all regenerative farm practices. Jadam, Indian, natural farming, permaculture, syntropic, etc.  we just happen to be Real Organic Certified/Organic Certified/Biodynamic Certified.  I am usually willing to share ideas and our experience with other people interested in regenerative farming. 

Looking good Jay!

« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 06:21:40 AM by Frog Valley Farm »

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2020, 08:03:32 AM »
We are not just Biodynamic Farm.  We try and utilize all regenerative farm practices. Jadam, Indian, natural farming, permaculture, syntropic, etc.  we just happen to be Real Organic Certified/Organic Certified/Biodynamic Certified.  I am usually willing to share ideas and our experience with other people interested in regenerative farming. 

Looking good Jay!

Is that an invite for Satya? We all want a Froggie vid!

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2020, 09:24:26 AM »

Looking good Jay!

+1  ;D
John

Satya

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2020, 09:55:58 AM »

Looking good Jay!

+1  ;D

Yes guys.... it is happening 👏👏👏  stay tuned!!!

TheGivingTree

• Florida Zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2020, 10:42:18 AM »
 Awesome video and super motivating!

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2020, 10:49:33 AM »
That's great news.

I highly recommend Satya's Youtube vid on 5 grating mistakes. Wish I had watched before grafting those mango and annona scions, lol!

Thanks Satya!

Satya

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2020, 04:13:31 PM »
Awesome video and super motivating!

Thanks.

Satya

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2020, 04:27:05 PM »
That's great news.

I highly recommend Satya's Youtube vid on 5 grating mistakes. Wish I had watched before grafting those mango and annona scions, lol!

Thanks Satya!

Thanks Rob. There is a story behind why i recorded the grafting video. I had a friend living not so far from my home who was interested in collecting rare fruit trees. He used to tell me how he bid and won on so many rare trees in e-bay, mostly garcinias and plinias.. One day he told me he lost a bid on Peluche loquat and the winning bid was $270 for an 8-10 inch grafted seedling . I told him I have a grafted Peluche,  the scion i had received from member Vikingguy and grafted onto a free seedling loquat i received from forum member gnappi. So the 4ft tall tree cost me not more than $10. I explained him the benefits of grafting and this gave me an idea of making this video as many friends want varieties of fruit trees and could get them easily if they could graft. Also i am so glad this forum exists where we can trade and share. I have nothing against auctions, i actually enjoy bidding from time to time ( i never win :) but i feel grafting is fun and easy and will save us a lot of money. The video was for those starting to graft, certainly wasn't intended for the experts in the forum  ;)

Satya

• View Profile

Looking good Jay!

+1  ;D

Yes guys.... it is happening 👏👏👏  stay tuned!!!

Here it comes...this video took a long time i know, have been very busy after the Covid spread like wildfire but here we are finally, it was a whole day trip last year in September and despite my busy out-of-state work schedule my wife has tried her best to edit the field trip video and keep it short and nice. Please watch it with an open mind, our culture is narrowing due to the myopic view we now have in every aspect of life, this is the time we need to broaden our mind and be open to understand the wider spectrum of life and of gardening too  :)

- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5HnsAufLSY

fruitnut1944

• Alpine Texas
    • View Profile
Food forest? I didn't see one piece of fruit. Great if you want to grow trees but I'd like some fruit

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
Many thumbs up Satya.  Eric, thanks for sharing.
I can not get away with the landscape I have looking like that, the lawn has to be mowed and a particular look maintained.
That said, it is amazing that so many things growing in the same space can result in nice looking healthy trees.  I can't wait to see the next video during fruiting season and hear about the taste comparisons. 

More power to both of you, you may get some of us to try this method on remote parts of the yard eventually.  The only point you lost me on was the water moccasin (hopefully joke).  Petrified of snakes, grew up where most you saw were venomous and were often killed on sight.  I have graduated to the point where I let corn or rat snakes be in my yard and let them take care of rats and lizards.

Thanks again and keep sharing.

NateTheGreat

• SF Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
Definitely inspired me to diversify my wardrobe!

Satya

• View Profile
Many thumbs up Satya.  Eric, thanks for sharing.
I can not get away with the landscape I have looking like that, the lawn has to be mowed and a particular look maintained.
That said, it is amazing that so many things growing in the same space can result in nice looking healthy trees.  I can't wait to see the next video during fruiting season and hear about the taste comparisons. 

More power to both of you, you may get some of us to try this method on remote parts of the yard eventually.  The only point you lost me on was the water moccasin (hopefully joke).  Petrified of snakes, grew up where most you saw were venomous and were often killed on sight.  I have graduated to the point where I let corn or rat snakes be in my yard and let them take care of rats and lizards.

Thanks again and keep sharing.

Thanks A. Yes, definitely heading up there again during the fruiting season. The whole purpose is to get the nutritious and good tasting fruits from most cost effective and natural way so i want to see how the fruits will come out there, the fruits will be the test of this method of farming.

Thanks for your support. It takes a lot of courage to walk a path less walked, so i am happy for Eric and Frog valley farm. There is risk of failure and the constant ridicule of the ones that follow the regular mass-approved path. Some friends here and in youtube and facebook food forest group commenting and ridiculing just helps me understand their perspective and filter them. This video is not to show the food forest or list the species grown, we will do that in coming videos or Eric most likely will be recording individual plants grown in his own youtube channel. This video is a pointer for those who might want to try something different is their gardening, taken seriously it is fun project everyone should try in their own garden corner.

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
" . . . the fruits will be the test of this method of farming."

Thanks for another great video, Satya! Do you have a plan in place to objectively test the fruits? Thanks!

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
Nice video Satya.

Glad to see some of these techniques in action.
Even better to hear some of the reasoning.

This is inspiring me to take some soil classes myself

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
Thanks, Satya for coming over and the video. I have been so BUSY this past summer but this week I saw Eric's video and finally got around to watching the one for my place (I'm Jay Reynolds). We have been finishing the house which I put a lot of work into and then when we moved in we had no internet for a month, but are now in the house and online. 

So, the past two weeks I've been going across the property struggling against the growth that happened over the summer and fall when I really did no maintenance at all. So, to some extent, I have decided to allow an even less manicured set of plants across my place. Even though I didn't mow before, I did maintain a fairly pure set of ground covers which have become more "diverse" this year.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
WOW Jay!
Do you have a picture you can share before you started?
It's simply amazing what you've done!
Yes, I have a video for that!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iy8n8UejXS4