Author Topic: can pluots pollinate other pluots?  (Read 1703 times)

macias_97

• Gilbert, AZ
    • View Profile
can pluots pollinate other pluots?
« on: December 11, 2018, 04:56:48 PM »
i got four pluots, according to DWN, they should all use a Santa Rosa Plum for pollination.  Well my SRP just kicked the bucket, so i was going to replace with a beauty plum and hope the pluots would cross pollinate with each other.  Thoughts??
getting there...

Goyo626

• USA, CA, West Covina, SZ20/21 USDA 10a
    • View Profile
Re: can pluots pollinate other pluots?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2018, 12:41:00 AM »
i got four pluots, according to DWN, they should all use a Santa Rosa Plum for pollination.  Well my SRP just kicked the bucket, so i was going to replace with a beauty plum and hope the pluots would cross pollinate with each other.  Thoughts??

Shouldnt be a problem but if you want to make sure graft burgundy plum or santa rosa on one of the trees.

Fensinee

• -
    • View Profile
    • -
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2018, 03:23:35 AM »
We are very pleased to recommend this to your friends.

Samu

• North Tustin, So. California, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2018, 06:15:58 PM »

My local nurseryman did not recommend me to get a plum tree for pollination purpose when I bought a SpiceZee pluot tree (it is now one of my favorite tree in my yard) but did when I bought Flavor Grenade pluot tree. So, my take is that some pluots do need plum tree for pollination, some don't...

As stated by Goyo above, I think you can graft a plum scion on your pluot, instead of planting another tree, and if this route is taken, I would graft multiple plum scions on those pluot trees...
Sam

Mango Stein

• Zone 7a
    • Schengen frontier
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2018, 08:00:16 PM »
To answer original poster, no, pluots cannot pollinate other pluots, as pollination is something done by insects and wind.
If you meant cross-pollination, then yes, pluots can do this to each other, and with four I don't think there will be an issue of incompatible pollen.

@Samu
Spicezee is not a pluot, it is a nectaplum (hybrid) which has 87% peach/nectarine in its pedigree and only 13% plum.
Eugenia luschnathiana = CURUIRI.    Talisia esculenta = PITOMBA
I do not recommend people deal with Fruit Lovers, Prisca Mariya or Fernando Malpartida

Samu

• North Tustin, So. California, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2018, 03:15:26 AM »
Ah..., you are right Mango Stein; somehow my mind still think that SpiceZee is a pluot...,thanks for the correction!
Sam

macias_97

• Gilbert, AZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2018, 04:20:54 PM »
To answer original poster, no, pluots cannot pollinate other pluots, as pollination is something done by insects and wind.
If you meant cross-pollination, then yes, pluots can do this to each other, and with four I don't think there will be an issue of incompatible pollen.

@Samu
Spicezee is not a pluot, it is a nectaplum (hybrid) which has 87% peach/nectarine in its pedigree and only 13% plum.

yeah i wasnt expecting the branches to pollinate each other.  Most varieties of pluots recommend Santa Rose Plum, which mine died.  Question was do i need pollen from a santa rose plum or will pollen from one pluot to another be ok?
getting there...

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2018, 07:53:46 PM »
I believe it is possible for all stonefruit to pollinate other species of stonefruit for the purposes of fruit set.