Author Topic: Meyer Lemon seed  (Read 2070 times)

will2358

• USA, Peachtree City, GA, zone 8a
    • View Profile
Meyer Lemon seed
« on: June 29, 2019, 09:20:35 PM »
I am growing some sunkist lemon seed (Meyer lemon). Do you think I can get close to the meyer lemon? I have a very limited income so I thought I would try to grow from seed. I know that hybrids do not grow true from seed but why not try?I was very lucky that a family member is buying me a Changsha orange (one that I have wanted for some time now) to plant. If anyone has some cuttings that they can share for postage I would greatly appreciate them. Let me know in the message section.
My name is Cindy

Laaz

• Charleston, SC 9a
    • View Profile
    • Citrusgrowers forum
Re: Meyer Lemon seed
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2019, 09:25:30 PM »
Don't waste your time. Find a member with a plant & get a cutting. They root like weeds... Have you ever tried Meyer? They are disgusting if you ask me. I sent the few I had to the compost pile years ago.

will2358

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2019, 09:38:23 PM »
I buy meyers in the store and they taste pretty good to me.
My name is Cindy

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2019, 09:44:29 PM »
I've grown many citrus varieties from seed, but inside a special grow enclosure. I don't think they'd grow very fast or be as easy to grow outside.

There are many people who like Meyer lemons more than regular lemons. I'm not one of them. (I'll have to agree with Laaz on that)
To me, Meyer lacks the flavor or a regular lemon like Lisbon, is a bit mild and bland, and if left on the tree too long can develop a slightly off flavor. It might be a personal preference thing. Maybe it's just one of those things people either love or hate.

If you grow Meyer lemon from seed, there's a fair chance it won't taste as good as the parent, because the genetics may not be exactly the same.

In general, lemons do grow more vigorously than other common types of citrus from seed.

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2019, 09:53:06 PM »
Since this was posted in the section on hardy citrus, I will point out that lemons are a bit more vulnerable to cold than other common citrus, but Meyer lemon is an exception to this and is probably among the hardiest of the common citrus (that is that is commonly sold in a supermarket).

(and obviously this is talking about regular lemons, not some of the other cold hardy citrus that are sometimes called "lemon", which can get a little confusing)

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2019, 10:00:32 PM »
Also be aware of why fruit trees are usually grown on rootstock.
The main reason is to have a dwarfing effect, which keeps the tree from getting too big, and forces the tree to start producing fruit earlier in its lifespan, otherwise it can be a long wait for fruit, and the tree will initially divert all its energy into growing very tall, like trees do in the wild.

There probably is a time and place to grow fruit trees on their own roots, but it's not the situation that's usually the most appropriate for most people. Just don't be wondering why you have a big tree and it's not producing fruit yet.

Obviously if you are growing from seed, it's probably not going to be on rootstock.

will2358

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2019, 10:34:06 PM »
All of the factors that evryone has pointed out is the reason I asked for cuttings. My limited income does not alow me to buy trees and I dont mind rooting cuttings, I have Lisbon lemon cuttings that I just rooted. I would like to have a meyer but the only possible way is by seed.
My name is Cindy

TooFarNorth

• U.S.A., Georgia, 8A
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2019, 10:34:51 PM »
will2358, I may be able to send you a rooted cutting, if I can catch a cool period to send it to you.  I would not try right now with temps heading into the upper 90's.  Do you ever head south a little, like down to Thomaston?

TFN

will2358

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2019, 11:01:04 PM »
Because of my disabilities I don't drive very much anymore. Message me your addy so that I can see the distance. I would love to see your collection.
My name is Cindy

TooFarNorth

• U.S.A., Georgia, 8A
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2019, 11:13:30 PM »
I don't live in Thomaston.  I am in Butler, about 30 miles south of Thomaston, but I do have kin folks there.  I was trying to keep you from traveling any farther than necessary, but you are more than welcome to come see my little citrus orchard.  Just let me know.

TFN

will2358

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2019, 02:18:04 AM »
Well thomaston is more than an hour and 30 minutes more south is more than I can handle right now. I will wait for cooler weather to receive it and wait til next year to plant it outside
My name is Cindy

manfromyard

• USA, Ga, 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2019, 10:36:31 AM »
Will,

I am not far from Peachtree city if that is where you live.
I actually go to Peachtree city every other weekend or so. I have a Meyer that I can give you cuttings from if you’re not too deeply into Fayetteville county.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2019, 02:03:04 PM »
will2358, if you want to try growing seeds of ponderosa lemon I can send it to you.
Send me PM if you want some, I have a few hundred now.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2019, 02:04:45 PM »
no charge for seeds.