Author Topic: WHere to buy White sapote fruit (to be shipped) ?  (Read 2192 times)

greenman62

• CharlesitaveNB
    • [url=https://vgruk.com/]vgr uk[/url]
    • View Profile
WHere to buy White sapote fruit (to be shipped) ?
« on: May 16, 2018, 12:40:42 PM »
I am in New Orleans
ive actually never eaten a white sapote
though, now i have 3 small trees growing.

I am, for some reason, allergic to bananas and Kiwi.
im not allergic to any other fruit i know of, and ive tasted several subtropicals/tropicals
when i was in Peru, Costa Rica, several trips to Miami, the Keys etc...

Before i get 3 huge trees, it would be nice to know i like the fruit and am not allergic.
as far as liking it, there are very few fruits i dont like. im pretty sure that wont be an issue.
but, still nice to know the flavor.

so where can i get a small amount of fruit shipped to me
and when ??

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Re: WHere to buy White sapote fruit (to be shipped) ?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 01:30:08 PM »
Unfotunately they dont ship well.  They bruise and get over ripe really easy.  If I see some at the farmers market that are on the hard side I could send some but will probably not make the trip.

To be honest the taste is not that great IMO.  Its kind of like a sweet avocado.  Like pear/avocado.  It takes a little practice then they are OK eating but certai ly not something I would do 3 trees of for personal consumption.  They are prolific also so 1 tree goes a long way.  They can drop a lot of fruit since they produce so much you cant eat it all.  It can become a messy tree.
Brad Spaugh

NateTheGreat

• SF Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2018, 01:43:11 PM »
To be honest the taste is not that great IMO.  Its kind of like a sweet avocado.

And I thought I had just tried a bad variety. Like a not very creamy avocado, with a mild sweetness?

Jack, Nipomo

• San Luis Obispo County, CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2018, 03:05:02 PM »
I differ in opinion....I have around 23 varieties of white sapote to taste test yearly.  For me, the fruit does taste like its namesake (custard apple).  White smooth flesh that looks and tastes like custard.  That is especially true if the fruit has warmed in the sun.  It is very sweet, sometimes too much so.  One variety has been described as "like caramel".  Each has their own characteristics and, of course, everyone has a different sense of taste.  I have never found a visitor who dislikes the fruit, unlike even cherimoyas.  The tree takes grafting well, is more hardy to freezes than many varieties of avocado.  The tree can become a giant and produce great quantities of fruit. As mentioned, the fruit's skin is delicate and one would probably never find a properly ripened white sapote being shipped.  Hard green ones can be shipped, but will not ripen well.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2018, 04:36:08 PM »
Maybe I just need to try better ones.  Have only had 3 or 4 types.  The ones at the farmers market are usually over ripe and banged up.  My friend has a massive tree but the fruit is mediocre even picked just at the right time.  So far have not been wowed at all with them.  I have a chestnut seedling about 6ft tall in the ground.  I was hesitant to even plant this tree for fear it will attract rodents/birds and other unwanted pests once its producing and dropping fruits on the ground.
Brad Spaugh

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Naples Home Inspections
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2018, 09:10:24 PM »
Maybe not white sapote per se, but I have a monthly subscription at Miami fruit.  https://miamifruit.org/collections/EVERYTHING?page=1

No, it ain't cheap, but I like the variety and trying new fruit from time to time.
www.ableinspector.com

Stop New Yorking my Florida!

Bruce

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2018, 04:59:42 AM »
I got mine from Southcoastorganics. They came in pretty good shape. Maybe one busted fruit and a few dings.
If I liked the fruit more I'd buy it again

greenman62

• CharlesitaveNB
    • [url=https://vgruk.com/]vgr uk[/url]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2018, 10:24:55 AM »
thanks jack
one was from seed, and there was a mistake in an order i made, so i wound up with 2 grafted plants.
variety is "Redland" from toptropicals.
You say they graft easily which is good.
i am hoping to just have 1 tree, picking the one which is growing fastest,
and graft 3-4 varieties to it (eventually)

what do you think of redlands ?
and what do you think are the best varieties ?

i like this guys videos
and he seems to like the white sapote fruit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqBnVM0UIPU

i will probably trade, or give one away,and maybe plant one at one of my rental homes.
i have a 3-plex with a huge backyard no one uses, i will probably start planting the extra guava,
pecan, and things i dont have room for at my home.

I differ in opinion....I have around 23 varieties of white sapote to taste test yearly.  For me, the fruit does taste like its namesake (custard apple).  White smooth flesh that looks and tastes like custard.  That is especially true if the fruit has warmed in the sun.  It is very sweet, sometimes too much so.  One variety has been described as "like caramel".  Each has their own characteristics and, of course, everyone has a different sense of taste.  I have never found a visitor who dislikes the fruit, unlike even cherimoyas.  The tree takes grafting well, is more hardy to freezes than many varieties of avocado.  The tree can become a giant and produce great quantities of fruit. As mentioned, the fruit's skin is delicate and one would probably never find a properly ripened white sapote being shipped.  Hard green ones can be shipped, but will not ripen well.