Author Topic: Lakeland Florida project  (Read 11627 times)

C24mccain

• Lakeland Florida zone 9b
    • View Profile
Lakeland Florida project
« on: February 26, 2017, 04:33:16 PM »
Hello this is really my first post other than the one I did in the intro thread. Thought I would start a thread sharing progress videos of our project here in Lakeland Florida. The project is officially one year old now although fruit tree planting didn't begin until end of March, early April, in 2016. We just did our latest update videos today February 26 in two parts which I will post first then I will put last years August video and November update video up.

part 1:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lj3GB6lnolU&t=40s

Part 2:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIePOFxQ7N8&t=748s

November 2016 video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvDdGuJ1cx0&t=258s

August video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMl50NQYd9Q&t=1071s

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
Re: Lakeland Florida project
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 07:29:00 PM »
The papaya should get much better with the coming heat
cool project!

C24mccain

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2017, 08:19:29 PM »
That's good... We will see what we get this summer.. We tried it again after doing the video. I think my reaction was a little off and its not as bad as I made it seem. I was hoping for sweetness and when I didn't get it I was let down. It didn't taste horrible, just not sweet. Thanks for the info.

C24mccain

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 08:47:24 AM »
For those who don't like watching long videos I will write out a list of what we are growing:

South end of pond:

4 Red Lady Papaya's
Sweetheart lychee
Mauritius lychee
Kari starfruit
Altaufo mango seedling
Valencia pride mango
Coconut cream mango
Glenn Mango
Kent Mango
Keitt Mango
unknown mango seedling
Kohola Longan
Mexicola Avocado
Bacon Avocado
Redland's White Sapote
Purple Passion fruit
Flordahome pear
Hood pear
Muntingia (Jamacian cherry, Strawberry tree)
Tropic snow peach
Florida prince peach
unknown Mulberry
Black everbearing Mulberry
around 10 Moringa seedlings just sprouted
yellow longneck fig
White marseilles fig
Texas Everbearing Fig
20 pineapples

North side of pond:

Ice cream bananas
dwarf cavendish bananas
williams banana
2 unknown seedling Papayas
Meyer Lemon
unknown pink guava
unknown white fleshed dragon fruit
unknown red fleshed dragon fruit
Condor dragon fruit (purple)
Saijo Persimmon
Fuyu Persimmon
Navel Orange
Pineapple orange
2 brown Turkey Figs
Tropic Beauty peach
unknown Macadamia nut
Alano sapodilla
unknown Green Sapote
barbados cherry
Kari Starfruit
Jackfruit seedling just sprouted
2 unknown mango seedlings that came in compost pile
Bradenton Loquat (looking for Avri and novak Loquat)

Other things to mention that are getting started: pigeon peas,longevity spinach, egyptian spinach, cranberry hibiscus, Katuk, tree collards traditional raised garden beds, seminole pumpkins, strawberry patch (about to end), and I'm sure I forgot something as well as there will be new additions soon.

Any Ideas on what to add?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 01:48:56 PM by C24mccain »

TheDom

• Fort Myers, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2017, 02:38:03 PM »
I'd add a whole bunch of atemoya and jaboticaba.
Dom

C24mccain

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2017, 06:43:19 PM »
I have pondered jaboticaba and have passed it up so far because of hearing how slow it is growing and fruiting. However that all the more reason I should have planted it to begin with :). Don't know much about atemoya so I will look into it... Thanks

C24mccain

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2017, 07:53:28 AM »
Below is the update video to our project. Here is a list of what we planted since the February update:

3 Natchez Blackberry plants
1 Southern Home Grape vine
1 black (purple) Jaboticaba
1 red Jaboticaba
1 Pakistan Mulberry
1 Champagne Loquat
1 Makok Sapodilla
1 Hasya Sapodilla
1 Dream Atemoya
1 Goldfinger Banana
2 Dwarf Namwah Banana
1 Thai giant Jujube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGqf83oxD94&t=1s

GrowInFlorida

• Aventura, FL - zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2017, 07:51:05 PM »
i planted jaboticaba in my zen garden so until it starts producing it's just a pretty companion to my pagoda :)

GrowInFlorida

• Aventura, FL - zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2017, 07:53:01 PM »
Corey, where are you buying all the different perennial spinaches/tree collard etc? I cannot find them here in Florida...

AlwaysHotinFL

• Lakeland, FL Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2017, 07:06:57 AM »
Hello Lakeland brother! Quite the collection you've got there! That seems like a huge amount to maintain. I haven't had the chance to watch the videos yet, so you might have covered it, but how do you keep up with watering with that volume of trees? Obviously we just had a great rain and alot more to come, but just curious.

Also, heard Sun and Fun intruding on one of your videos, it's cool to see all the planes around though!
-Casey

C24mccain

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2017, 06:41:51 PM »
Corey, where are you buying all the different perennial spinaches/tree collard etc? I cannot find them here in Florida...

I got the tree collards online but I can't remember where. If you want some cuttings let me know and I'll send you some, just cover the shipping or stop by and get them. The perennial spinach plants I got at ECHO in FT. Myers.

C24mccain

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2017, 06:49:41 PM »
Hello Lakeland brother! Quite the collection you've got there! That seems like a huge amount to maintain. I haven't had the chance to watch the videos yet, so you might have covered it, but how do you keep up with watering with that volume of trees? Obviously we just had a great rain and alot more to come, but just curious.

Also, heard Sun and Fun intruding on one of your videos, it's cool to see all the planes around though!

Haha, we live very close to the airport so yes we have a clear view of the airshow. My full time job is taking care of the project so I have time. As for watering, the topsoil we had to bring in to build the land up is not normal Florida sugar sand, its a very dark black soil (originally from a swamp I was told) that holds moisture very well plus I'm mulching heavily. Also we have a pond which makes water access very easy. We also have well water and the hoses are long enough to reach any spot on the property. Since your nearby your always welcome to stop by and see if you would like. :)

C24mccain

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2017, 06:51:45 PM »
i planted jaboticaba in my zen garden so until it starts producing it's just a pretty companion to my pagoda :)

Yea I put off Jaboticaba because of the slow growth issue but at this point I have so much to take care of I really am not worried that it will be slow. Something is always growing and happening so its not like I will be anxious...

AlwaysHotinFL

• Lakeland, FL Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2017, 06:36:53 AM »

Haha, we live very close to the airport so yes we have a clear view of the airshow. My full time job is taking care of the project so I have time. As for watering, the topsoil we had to bring in to build the land up is not normal Florida sugar sand, its a very dark black soil (originally from a swamp I was told) that holds moisture very well plus I'm mulching heavily. Also we have a pond which makes water access very easy. We also have well water and the hoses are long enough to reach any spot on the property. Since your nearby your always welcome to stop by and see if you would like. :)

Ah, gotcha, it's great to be able to control the soil you plant in-definitely makes it much easier to have success with your plantings. I was wondering how you would have the time to manage so much, but full time definitely makes it much easier. Might have to take you up on your offer to come have a look one of these days!

Of all the things you've planted- have a favorite or one you're most looking forward to?
-Casey

C24mccain

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2017, 07:37:44 AM »
AlwaysHotinFL: I'm not sure. When we originally started we only planned on doing about 15-20 trees and at that time mangos were definitely my favorite. However much of what we have planted I have never tried. I kept learning and kept adding to the project. Right now I really like Sapodilla. We're about to try our first pink guava any day now, maybe today, not sure yet and I've never had a guava. Doubt it will become a favorite but I just enjoy the new experience with every thing. Ice cream banana flower is coming out and that will be a first when that's ready. Always something new when you have this much stuff to take care of. I'm here most everyday during the week working outside so just let me know ahead of time and you can stop by. What you working on?

AlwaysHotinFL

• Lakeland, FL Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2017, 02:52:34 AM »
AlwaysHotinFL: I'm not sure. When we originally started we only planned on doing about 15-20 trees and at that time mangos were definitely my favorite. However much of what we have planted I have never tried. I kept learning and kept adding to the project. Right now I really like Sapodilla. We're about to try our first pink guava any day now, maybe today, not sure yet and I've never had a guava. Doubt it will become a favorite but I just enjoy the new experience with every thing. Ice cream banana flower is coming out and that will be a first when that's ready. Always something new when you have this much stuff to take care of. I'm here most everyday during the week working outside so just let me know ahead of time and you can stop by. What you working on?

Sweet! Mangoes are amazing, and I've never had sapodilla or most of the varieties you've planted either, but they sound good. Guavas are interesting, I think I would like them more without all those hard seeds.

As for me, working on dragonfruit! Forgive me but I'm going to copy/paste from my intro post:

I have 7 different dragonfruit cuttings I'm currently rooting and hoping to establish into plants:
Makisupa
Delight
Bien Hoa Red
Valdivia Roja
Orejona
Physical graffiti
And an unknown red I got from Hawkins Corner nursery (AMAZING guy that Mr Skinner)

In addition I have several unknown (forgotten!) fruit trees:
Pear
Honeybell/Tangelo (fruiting this year!)
Mexican (small) Avocado (also fruiting!)
Large Avocado grown from seed

AND a square foot garden which takes up most of my gardening/landscaping time.

Closer to God in the garden as the saying goes. He gives the increase.
-Casey

C24mccain

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2017, 08:10:07 AM »
AlwayHotinFL: I got the same unknown red dragon fruit from Richard at Hawkins Corner. I go visit him once or twice a month when I need a break from all the work. He had some Jaboticaba fruits on his two trees a couple of weeks ago but they were not ripe. I went back a week later and and animal had eaten everyone of them. I have bought a few other trees from him as well.

We tried our first guava the other day and it was ok but I believe I pulled it a little to early. It surprisingly tasted better when I ate the skin with the slightly pink flesh. Letting the rest of the fruit stay on longer. My Condor dragon fruit cuttings have just put out their first buds and started growing. I had stuck them in the ground back in February so it appears it took about 6-7 weeks to start forming buds. Most of the varieties that you have listed I have not heard of before (only physical graffiti).

Our first year of gardening has been a flop and if you watched our latest video you saw that we had filled our raised beds with a compost/topsoil mix from a company in Plant City. Well the compost was very immature and the nitrogen is totally locked up so nothing will grow in it currently. Thus our garden troubles continue but I hope to have it fixed by fall. I much prefer growing fruit trees :). God Bless!

AlwaysHotinFL

• Lakeland, FL Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2017, 01:21:14 PM »
Yeah I saw the video with the garden output. Stinks, but maybe that cover crop will help out. Individual fruit trees certainly require less maintenance, that's for sure! But tropicals and the volume you have is definitely a major project.

When I created my square foot garden (SFG) it called for 5 different kinds of compost, I got mostly different bagged stuff however I did pick up some from BS Ranch and Farm right by the parkway on the south side. Pretty good stuff and at a comparable price to what you got before in PC by the truckload. They gave it to me gratis because I only picked up like 4 5gallon buckets worth, which would have cost me a dollar otherwise if I do remember correctly. They just said come back with a bigger load next time, haha  8)

Let me know if you get some, I need some more but don't want to bother them with my $1 bill again, plus it'll give me a chance to see all that hard work you guys are doing!

God bless!

http://www.bsranchandfarm.com/#2839
-Casey

C24mccain

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2017, 03:43:25 PM »
Yeah I saw the video with the garden output. Stinks, but maybe that cover crop will help out. Individual fruit trees certainly require less maintenance, that's for sure! But tropicals and the volume you have is definitely a major project.

When I created my square foot garden (SFG) it called for 5 different kinds of compost, I got mostly different bagged stuff however I did pick up some from BS Ranch and Farm right by the parkway on the south side. Pretty good stuff and at a comparable price to what you got before in PC by the truckload. They gave it to me gratis because I only picked up like 4 5gallon buckets worth, which would have cost me a dollar otherwise if I do remember correctly. They just said come back with a bigger load next time, haha  8)

Let me know if you get some, I need some more but don't want to bother them with my $1 bill again, plus it'll give me a chance to see all that hard work you guys are doing!

God bless!

http://www.bsranchandfarm.com/#2839

I get compost from B&S Farms all the time. I have a 3 yard trailer that I fill. I've gone through at least 20 loads so far and have a half trailer here right now. I'm not using any at the moment so if you want some come get what you need as I won't be using any for the foreseeable future. I sent the stuff in for a lab test a year ago so if you want to see the test results let me know. I wouldn't grow directly in it but it is a good addition to the topsoil. Very rich (way to high in Potassium) but the PH is typically around 8 so thats why I wouldn't use it as a base.  The cost of the stuff is $26 per ton which is about 13$ per yard so I have found it to be a good deal. You can have some of mine for free. Happy gardening :).

PM239

• Gibsonton, Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2017, 11:44:10 PM »
Here not far away in Gibsonton with almost 300 varieties.
I'm new, but you have a nice collection.

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2017, 12:17:17 AM »
I have pondered jaboticaba and have passed it up so far because of hearing how slow it is growing and fruiting. However that all the more reason I should have planted it to begin with :).

Yeah, I just planted my Jabo and sort of forgot about them. I just water and feed them and wait. No expectations, no hurry. When my first one bloomed I was like a 5 year old at a candy or toy shop :-)

The old saying... "The best time to plant a tree was 10 years ago, the next best time is today" is never going to be out of date.

Regards,

Gary

Balaman

• Australia
    • View Profile
    • iplantz
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2017, 12:43:55 AM »
The Bananas will love having their roots near water and the pond should help to increase the humidity around the plants. Any chance of you sharing some of your plant photos with iplantz.com?

C24mccain

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2017, 11:43:31 AM »
Here not far away in Gibsonton with almost 300 varieties.
I'm new, but you have a nice collection.

I'm new to Florida so I hadn't heard of that city but I looked it up and yes your close by. You have the advantage and being near the water. You have have photos or videos?

C24mccain

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2017, 04:30:44 PM »
The below picture is what happens to a mango tree when you apply to much urine to it. I knew they were sensitive to nitrogen but I didn't think I would end up doing this. This was my Valencia pride. I have since pugged it to see if there is any life remaining. We will see what happens in a few weeks. I killed this tree with 1 liter of urine mixed with if I remember correctly 5 gallons of water but I may have threw a second 5 gallons of water on it as well but I don't remember. I just know a couple days after when I was in the area I noticed every leaf was burnt crisp.

Other updates: Just moving mulch and watering trees as the drought continues. The rains that came through last night (5/4) and this morning (5/5) barely touched our area. All is well though. We have ice cream bananas forming. We had a quite a few pink guavas we harvested, only the last few had worm issues. Other than that things are growing and I've learned to keep the urine away from my mangos :)

« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 04:33:21 PM by C24mccain »

AlwaysHotinFL

• Lakeland, FL Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2017, 01:46:06 PM »
This is great project. I've personally been to Corey's place and can vouch for his great setup. I look forward to seeing more of the fruit come in! Been inspired to get a mango of my own- Pickering. Gonna be good. Just gotta wait until my Dragon fruit project is complete and in the ground, then I can mango it up!

Other forum members use urine for fertilizer?
-Casey